Artwork

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Simon Armstrong

Artwork

Post by Simon Armstrong »

As an avid PLEX user alongside MM, all my artwork is saved within the album tag along with a copy in the album directory. In addition there is artwork saved within the parent directory for each artist, normally in the format poster.jpg. Would it be possible for MM to look for artwork within the parent directory prior to importing artwork from external sources. I note this already happens where individual artist albums are concerned, though I guess this information is being read from the tag.
Yet another whole night in front of the computer! Need more NAS storage and a faster processor.....always.
Barry4679

Re: Artwork

Post by Barry4679 »

Simon Armstrong wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:43 am Would it be possible for MM to look for artwork within the parent directory prior to importing artwork from external sources. I note this already happens where individual artist albums are concerned, though I guess this information is being read from the tag.
What leads you to conclude that MM5 doesn't already work this way?
The majority of my album art is in the album's folder ... this what you meant by "parent directory"?
The art is in a file named Folder.jpg
It appears to me that this art is used by MM5.

Album art behaviour is set by option Tools|Options|Library|TagsAndPlayLists

Auto-search Internet for missing art behaviour is controlled at Tools|Options|Library|MetadataLookup
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Duke999R

Post by Duke999R »

Barry, Simon is talking about poster.jpg that he has in his "Artists Name" folder where the hierarchy is

|TOP FOLDER
|ARTISTS NAME
| |---poster.jpg
| |-- ALBUM NAME
| | |--music files.*
| | |--album art.*

Not the album art.* image file

He wants to use poster.jpg as the artists' thumbnail in Grid mode.

Currently, you have to browse to the local image via the right-click context menu > Lookup Image > route, for each artists' folder.

Then MM5 copies the poster.jpg to your userdata MM5 folder and renames it with the artist's name.

Is it possible to have MM5 use the original poster.jpg 9or any image in that folder, without having to do the above?

I would find this functionality handy as well. I also have local artists' folder thumbnails although my files are all named folder.jpg, as are my album art files.
Riding the bleeding edge. :o
Simon Armstrong

Post by Simon Armstrong »

Spot on Duke.

I do like to pick Artist Artwork that stands out to me and is representative of the Artist I have grown to love, for instance original band members as opposed to current. Also when MM auto-fills this artwork so many of the pictures are black and white, which is so dull. Besides I already use B&W artwork for artists who are deceased. Kind of a mark of respect.

I really want the option to have MM search the top folder for artwork, say poster.jpg or artist name.jpg, and then I can have consistency across platforms. I predominantly use MM for creating rips to FLAC and then sorting Metadata for which it is excellent. My main player, no offense, is PLEX. Why would I want different artwork across these platforms?
Yet another whole night in front of the computer! Need more NAS storage and a faster processor.....always.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Duke999R wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:20 pm Barry, Simon is talking about poster.jpg that he has in his "Artists Name" folder
Thanks for clarification. I have not see that file convention before.

Yes, I agree. That sounds like a good addition.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.