Gapless streaming [#11716]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

pc1007

Gapless streaming [#11716]

Post by pc1007 »

I wish to uses MM to stream audio from my laptop's hard drive to a upnp network audio player over a home wifi network. The player (Cambridge Audio CXN) supports gapless playback, and plays gaplessly using other applications. The current version of MM 5 does not appear to support gapless streaming. Am I configuring the player incorrectly, or is this a feature that has not been included in MM 5? Any advice would be very gratefully received.
dtsig

Re: Gapless streaming

Post by dtsig »

Seen this here also .. hard to listen to Abbey Road or The Wall with the gaps ...
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're doing UPnP streaming any gapless would be applied by the client. Are you saying it is doing gapless when streaming from other DLNA servers, but not from the MediaMonkey DLNA server?
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

for me it is from a MM4 server
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
pc1007

Post by pc1007 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:32 pm If you're doing UPnP streaming any gapless would be applied by the client. Are you saying it is doing gapless when streaming from other DLNA servers, but not from the MediaMonkey DLNA server?
Hi - thanks for your response Lowlander. It's complicated but I'll try to explain (apologies if I make any mistakes with terminology). I have a backup of my audio files on a Synology NAS drive on my home network, which functions as a DLNA server. Using a client app on my phone/tablet (provided by Cambridge Audio) I can stream this content gaplessly to my Cambridge Audio renderer. However, I have a large music library and prefer to use Mediamonkey on a laptop to browse and play music. For this purpose I use a library of audio files in an attached external hard drive. Using options>player>streaming I can choose my UPNP/DLNA renderer from a drop-down list. Having done this I can stream audio directly from my laptop using Mediamonkey, but it will not play gaplessly. I'd like to know if there is any way to configure Mediamonkey (4 or 5) to allow gapless streaming with this kind of set-up. Does this help to clarify my question?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The cambridge App may be using proprietary technology as they control the hardware.

Like I said, gapless is up to the client (the device) and not the DLNA Server or DLNA control App.
pc1007

Post by pc1007 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:18 pm The cambridge App may be using proprietary technology as they control the hardware.

Like I said, gapless is up to the client (the device) and not the DLNA Server or DLNA control App.
Thanks. I should have added that I also have Foobar2000 installed on my laptop. With this media player, and the foo_upnp component, I can stream gaplessly to the the renderer/network streaming device. So the gapless option isn't restricted to the manufacturer's proprietary control app technology. Since Foobar2000 is one of Mediamonkey's main competitors, I assumed it would be a feature they would wish to include in the new version.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
it is not possible in MM4/MM5 yet, but it is a planned feature: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11716
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:18 pm The cambridge App may be using proprietary technology as they control the hardware.

I am using mm4 (current rc - server) and mm5 (2234 - dlna client) and I see this on all tracks. There seems to be a forced gap between tracks. Albums that bleed one track into another really show this. I believe If i am just listening to MM5 as a local device it works correctly.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
mcow

Re: Gapless streaming [#11716]

Post by mcow »

I just downloaded and installed the latest MM5, trying it for the first time in months. It's definitely running smoother. I played an album to a Chromecast and it was fine... except for the gaps, like four seconds between tracks.
I know that casting is not the same as streaming to a DLNA renderer, but, I hope that can be addressed. I usually cast from Tidal (from their website, loaded on a Chromebook) and they are very close to gapless; not perfect but very close, usually inaudible.
hsauertieg

Re: Gapless streaming [#11716]

Post by hsauertieg »

The problem I am having is with simple gapless playback of FLAC files stored on my computer's hard drive. MM4 plays gapless, MM5 will play the first track or two in a playlist gapless, then pauses 1-2-3 seconds between tracks as the program goes on. It's enough to make me never use MM5. MM4 and Winamp both play gapless perfectly. BTW I am using the Directsound output driver (MMDS.dll) without silence removed from beginning of tracks. A separate topic might be why the DEFAULT setting is to remove silence from the beginning of tracks! That makes for weird playback as well.
hsauertieg

Post by hsauertieg »

dtsig wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:21 am Seen this here also .. hard to listen to Abbey Road or The Wall with the gaps ...
Absolutely!