I looked through my backups, and the upgrade happened sometime between the 2nd and 7th of May 2020.
On the 4th of May I did this, as described here.
Barry4679 wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 10:15 amI just downloaded the current MM4 in portable mode. It opens my MM5 database OK ... I am not saying this is recommended, nor practical in a go-forward sense, but the databases are not unique.
There is the possibility that I screwed up, and accidentally overwrote my MM database, but I can't see any evidence of this because:
- my MM5 database had some tracks which I downloaded from GPM
- these tracks are in my MM5 database, and are also in the portable MM4 version, which I created for the above test
- but they are not in my main version of MM4, ie. the one which has somehow been upgraded to 5.0.51
- NB. my main version of MM4 is not a portable install, and I .have used the DBName option in the ini file option to store the db in a custom location
- NB my main MM4 db was already at level 5.0.19 ... if this is not normal, it would have happened in 2017 when I found and reported a bug that allowed MM5 to corrupt the MM4 database ... you fixed the bug here .... I was able to add tracks with MM4 at level 5.0.19, but am locked out at 5.0.51
- has the structure of MM4 database really been upgraded to 5.0.51, or is it just that the DBInfo table been corrupted somehow? ... I sent a zipped copy of the db to Ludek
- does MM do silent DB structure updates? ... what happens while you display the "checking for new version" message during startup of MM4 ... I saw this message when i started the MM4 portable version ... it would have opened a (renamed) MM5 database, could it that have confused it, and somehow my production version of MM4 database got upgraded?
- your dbox message is poor. ... it should be issued at program startup .... it should not leave the situation undetected, until the user decides to add some more tracks to MM4 ... this may be weeks|months later ... in which case the user now has a bigger problem
- the wording "it is recommended that you use it exclusively with MM5" ... I think that the dbox message should be stronger and more explicit.