2251 - crashes, one serious because it looks like db is damaged

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2251 - crashes, one serious because it looks like db is damaged

Post by Barry4679 »

I received two crashes while browsing

This one ... I was in the "Online" view for album which was not in my collection, and I clicked the "My Library", and the crashed happened.
The crash may not be related to this action, because I could not reproduce.

The 2nd crash is more serious. I retarted MM5, and was browsing, and I got a crash ... it looks like I didn't take a pix of the error dbox, but you should see it on your server.
After this 2nd crash I got this exception dbox ... I took the Restart option, and to my surprise it actually worked this time ... mostly it doesn't work

But the problem is that I could not open the MM5 db ... I closed MM5 and tried again ... same thing ... it looked like MM5 has damaged its db, because it is offering to create a new database.

I tried opening the db with a sql browser ... the db was in a locked state. I could not see any MM process in the the Task manager.
I rebooted my PC, and MM5 and the db are OK.

Obviously not good, because someone may conclude that their db is toast, and they may delete it.

I created a debug log when I restarted MM5, and it showed the MM5.db cannot be opened dbox ... I will send the log to Ludek.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Re: 2251 - crashes, one serious because it looks like db is damaged

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Db is most likely OK, see if there is Jurnal file along DB which is temp file and I have seen that it can get corrupted due the crash. While MM tries to load it on startup to finish query on crash it is possible that fail and thinks DB is corrupted.

Do you have Backups of DB to compare with?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:20 am Db is most likely OK
Yes, I know that, my report explicitly says that the db is OK

What I was says that the chain of events make the db "look" like it is damaged, ie. you get a dbox offering to build a new db.

What I am reporting is:
1. There are a couple of crashes
2. MM5's auto-recovery of one of the situations, leaves something which has the db open and locked ... When you close and re-open MM5, it can't open the db, and offers to create a fresh empty db.

Workaround fix is to reboot the PC .... or find, and terminate whatever process has a lock on the MM5.db
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks Barry, I'll check the logs.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 am Workaround fix is to reboot the PC .... or find, and terminate whatever process has a lock on the MM5.db
Good point for locked files I love https://lockhunter.com/ that allows to kill processes locking it.
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 pm Good point for locked files I love https://lockhunter.com/ that allows to kill processes locking it.
Thanks for the link Peke. That looks useful.

But I am sure that you don't want your customers to be killing off system processes that may be locking files.

It would be best if MM5 initialisation detected that the data base is locked, and offered a more useful range of options. ... All you have it the moment is something which seems to me to be indicating that the db is broken, and offers to help by making new empty database, so that the customer can start all over again from nothing.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As you said it is very useful, but it is users responsibility to use not ours. In our case it clearly shows why DB is locked or Installation do not pass.
Best regards,
Peke
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
I haven't been able to simulate the "locked DB" after a crash, but I have made some changes that could hopefully prevent from this.

I also improved the could not open the MM5 db message and added detailed SQL error info why DB cannot be opened.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:36 am I also improved the ...
Sounds good.