Drag and Drop between multiple instances

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MikeGahrns

Drag and Drop between multiple instances

Post by MikeGahrns »

I know there has been lots of fixes in this area lately and a few re-opening of bugs here. While your looking at this area, one thing that still doesn't work is to drag from one instance of MM5 to another instance of MM5. When the pointer moves from one instance of MM5 to the other, the pointer changes to indicate a drop won't work.

Dragging from MM4 to MM5 works.
drakinite

Re: Drag and Drop between multiple instances

Post by drakinite »

Oh, cool, I never realized that was a thing. Just wondering, what use case is there for drag and drop between two instances of MM? like, what do you use that for?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
MikeGahrns

Re: Drag and Drop between multiple instances

Post by MikeGahrns »

I spend a lot of time carefully creating playlists. In doing so, I like to spend time in picking the next song I should place after the current song in a playlist. It is very helpful to have separate windows of the playlist I am working on, and other windows with pools of potential songs to place after the current song. To get songs to fit nicely, I often need to go back and forth playing the current song and the potential next song to add until I find one that is great fit.

With playlists and search results in tabs, this is difficult to do since you can only see 1 tab at a time. Even worse, it is hard to maintain context as to where you are, as each time you click on the tree control it replaces what is in the current tab with what you just clicked on in the tree, and you have now lost context as to what you were working on.

MM5 has made a nice improvement here in that you can now select "Edit playlist" and have multiple playlists displayed side by side simultaneously and drag and drop between them. It is definitely better in that I can now see everything all at once. But I run a multi-monitor setup, and this is still limiting in that the results are now all crammed on a single screen instead of across multiple monitors each in their own window. Also, when selecting "Edit playlist", the resulting narrow playlist has only a few columns instead of all the columns you might be interested in.

Think of sorting a pile of photos into a bunch of separate piles of different people/things. It is so much easier and quicker when you are able to spread the piles out and see everything all at once, instead of just always switching between piles. That is kind of what I do when organizing my playlists. I'd love to be able to have everything all visible at once and just drag and drop between piles to quickly organize and arrange things in the way I want.

Several years ago I read a similar post from a guy who DJ'd who relied on having multiple windows where he could quickly pick and choose what he wanted to play next. For this type of scenario iTunes and some other DJ'ing software has open playlist in separate window as a right click context option. Not having this in MM was a deal breaker for him.

Running multiple instances of MM was a poor man's way to try to achieve this.