Rip CD [First time]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

TheEmpathicEar

Rip CD [First time]

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

This, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loud,_Fas ... ghest_Hits, is my time ripping a CD using MM5 And, the first "Ramones" album in my collection. The only defaults I changed were the mask and choosing VBR Extreme. In MM5, both the Artist image and album image display OK. After doing a WiFi sync via MMA, neither the Artist image or album image display - nothing. When I use an Android File Manager, "albumart.jpg", is not in the album folder.
If there is only 1 album for 1 artist in MMA could this result in the artist image not displaying in addition to the album image? If I copy the album artwork in a browser and paste the Artwork in the Properties > Artwork tab this will solve the artwork not displaying in MMA? Will this cause the artist image to display properly as well?
Lowlander

Re: Rip CD [First time]

Post by Lowlander »

MMA doesn't support Artist image. As far as Album image make sure one is actually saved with the files on the Album (Properties > Artwork). This can be saved as external Artwork or embedded, but it needs to be saved.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Google Chrome, right-click on image and choose "Copy Image". This is straight forward. In MM5, after choosing "Edit properties for multiple files", I can assume focus on the "Artwork" tab. The question is where to focus here before choosing "Paste"? At the top, there is "Image Type" [Cover (front) for example]. At the bottom. there is "Apply to all selected" and "Apply to all files in the album/series". In my example, after WiFi sync in MMA, no artwork. After doing what I did in MM5, another WiFi sync in MMA, the artwork is displayed OK. For MM5, maybe provide a series of steps 1, 2, 3, ... etc.? Also, it seems in MMA, that the first album for any given artist, alphabetically, is displayed in the "Artist" view? Also, in MM5, I would assume that the artwork would be set by default during a CD rip? If this is not the case, what has to done in settings, etc.?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Until you associate an Artwork with files on the Album you may see an Artwork that MediaMonkey auto-associates, but this isn't saved to the files.

Yes, right click in the Artwork tab area where Artworks are shown and Paste should be an option on the Context Menu. Using Lookup Image on the Artwork tab allows you to Browse your PC for Artwork if you prefer that method.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:20 pm Until you associate an Artwork with files on the Album you may see an Artwork that MediaMonkey auto-associates, but this isn't saved to the files.

Yes, right click in the Artwork tab area where Artworks are shown and Paste should be an option on the Context Menu. Using Lookup Image on the Artwork tab allows you to Browse your PC for Artwork if you prefer that method.
"...right click in the Artwork tab area where Artworks are shown and Paste should be an option on the Context Menu" [For example] This is required for MMA during a WiFi sync to provide artwork for any given album in MM5 that has been ripped from CD? This is different behavior from using DBPowerAmp's CD Ripper [which I used before this]. But, of course, I was not using MMA on android for playback then either.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Artwork isn't auto-added to Ripped files.
TheEmpathicEar

MM5 Bug Reports so far... [#15757][#15293]

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

I just went from Build 2252 to 2254. I must have missed 2253 or it was a very fast transition. Does this include album artwork when ripping a CD? Or, did I misread the above here?
Lowlander

Re: MM5 Bug Reports so far... [#15757][#15293]

Post by Lowlander »

Artwork associated with a CD before Rip being lost on Rip was fixed in 2260: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16725
TheEmpathicEar

Re: MM5 Bug Reports so far... [#15757][#15293]

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:04 pm Artwork associated with a CD before Rip being lost on Rip was fixed in 2260: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16725
This, https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 28#p471328, is what I was talking about. I don't know if what you are posting here is different?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then you posted in the wrong place, fixed.

Although MMW may show an Album Artwork it doesn't auto-tag files with Album Artwork. This is something you'll have to manually do before syncing to any devices (if you want Album Artwork on the device).

The fix is that you can now tag Artwork to the CD before Ripping it and the Artwork will be there on the ripped files after Ripping the CD.
thisiscmt

Automatically save CD artwork to ripped file

Post by thisiscmt »

lowlander wrote at viewtopic.php?p=471564#p471564

Although MMW may show an Album Artwork it doesn't auto-tag files with Album Artwork. This is something you'll have to manually do before syncing to any devices (if you want Album Artwork on the device).

The fix is that you can now tag Artwork to the CD before Ripping it and the Artwork will be there on the ripped files after Ripping the CD.

I am currently re-ripping my 350+ CD collection to Flac files for future preservation, as well as to MP3s to replace my current library so they all have a higher, more consistent encoding. I'm using MM 5 on Windows (2690). It's great that the album artwork gets automatically associated with the CD and the ripped files, but having to manually go into Properties for them and click the little Save icon on the Artwork tab to actually get the image bytes into the files is cumbersome.

Is there a technical reason for why the image can't be automatically added to the files at rip time? If not, I'd like to officially request this as a feature, since it would be a huge time saver.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey does not automatically lookup Artwork for CDs, but if you tag a CD with Artwork before Rip, the Artwork will be saved for the Ripped files (ie. it will Sync).

Unsaved Artwork is a setting where you enable Artwork lookup, you also need to enable Update tags.
thisiscmt

Post by thisiscmt »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:26 pm Unsaved Artwork is a setting where you enable Artwork lookup, you also need to enable Update tags.
Perfect, the Update Tags checkbox is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

thisiscmt wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:09 pm
Lowlander wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:26 pm Unsaved Artwork is a setting where you enable Artwork lookup, you also need to enable Update tags.
Perfect, the Update Tags checkbox is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much.
If you choose Update Tags, will you get a confirmation dialog of some sort? To make changes, etc.?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, this is an automated background process.