TIV73 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:24 pm
I agree that it should not be installed by default at this point, completely removing it would be a waste, though, as it can still be a valuable resource for people working on an extension. Maybe just including it in the samplescripts folder without actually shipping MM with the extension installed could be a compromise?
Sounds good ... I haven't looked, but is there much of the GPM functionality that is in the scripts folder? Based upon the speed that it was chewing through my 50k+ GPM library, during syncing, matching and importing into the db, I would assume that most of the heavy lifting is compiled.
There were multiple facilities within the GPM integration with MM5. Peke said that they are evaluating YTM integration. My guess is that it is unlikely at this late stage, I suppose that there are many Use Cases, but it seems to me that some of the existing GPM integration is essential, and some of it is just nice to have. Maybe this makes the initial 1st stage task smaller, and doable?
I would assume that largest Use Case is for people to use MM5 to make playlists for their YTM libraries ... playlists that they could stream from, using the YTM client, when commuting, or away from home. This means that MM needs to know which tracks are in your YTM library, including any tracks which you stream, but don't own. MM also needs to know the location of all of these tracks.
For this use case, these functions seem essential:
- import the dictionary of tracks from a YTM library
- match these tracks against the MM database
- store YTM location of matched tracks
- add any new tracks into the MM db
- and a facility to upload selected MM playlists into the YTM library
The remaining MM5 functions are nice to have, but not essential for this Use Case. Maybe they could be left for a later upgrade?:
- upload our own tracks into the YTM library ... Google already have a tool for this function
- keeping the MM and YTM libraries in sync .... a periodic run of import|match etc is OK
- downloading the actual tracks from YTM
- using MM to play tracks from a YTM source ... we can play and cast, at home, using the YTM client