2267 - full install does not import data & setting from MM4

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2267 - full install does not import data & setting from MM4

Post by Barry4679 »

I installed as a full install for the 1st time ... ie. not a portable install
The full install did not offer to import data and settings from my MM4 db. ... Is this working as intended?

I deleted MM5, and tried again ... the "problem" is repeatable.

I rescanned all tracks from my NAS, but am missing all my track play history, as this data is not stored as track tags.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Re: 2267 - full install does not import data & setting from MM4

Post by Lowlander »

I would assume so. Installing an install in a different location installs it as a clean install, not an update, thus it doesn't take settings from other installs on your PC.

You can take the database from a previous install if you want to get your Play History, but also things like Playlists, DLNA/Sync settings and Podcast Subscriptions.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Does the trick of copying-and-pasting mediamonkey.db still work? Or does that only work for copying between different builds of MM5, but not from MM4 -> MM5?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:55 am I would assume so. Installing an install in a different location installs it as a clean install, not an update, thus it doesn't take settings from other installs on your PC.
I wasn't installing to a "different location". .. I let the MM5 installer determine the standard install location.
And from the user perspective it was an "upgrade" not a "clean install".

It makes no sense (to me) that a portable install comes with the smarts and user assistance to enquire if I want to transfer my data and setting from data from MM4, and to do it all for me.

But if I do a full install I get no assistance, and no instructions, ... and if I then rescan my collections, I am in danger of not noticing that I have just lost all my play history.

Lowlander wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:55 am You can take the database from a previous install if you want to get your Play History, but also things like Playlists, DLNA/Sync settings and Podcast Subscriptions.
Yes I suppose there is some workaround hidden away somewhere, but why is that needed?
Every other product I can think of maintains user data and settings during an upgrade.

I still have trouble believing that this is intentional. And if it is, maybe they should think again .... and about this issue also.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's a beta product for testing that messes with the database so by default it's set to install in a different location so that it doesn't mess with the existing MediaMonkey 4 install, so it's not an update, it's a separate install if you had MediaMonkey 4 previously (it would be an update for previous MediaMonkey 4 regular installs).

You can update MediaMonkey 4, but you'll need to install it in the same folder as the MediaMonkey 4 install and you'll loose the MediaMonkey 4 install.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:47 am It's a beta product for testing that messes with the database so by default it's set to install in a different location so that it doesn't mess with the existing MediaMonkey 4 install, so it's not an update, it's a separate install if you had MediaMonkey 4 previously (it would be an update for previous MediaMonkey 4 regular installs).

You can update MediaMonkey 4, but you'll need to install it in the same folder as the MediaMonkey 4 install and you'll loose the MediaMonkey 4 install.
I know that you are trying to explain it to me, but I still don't get it (yet).

Firstly I am reporting an issue with MM5 install, not MM4 ... just in case it is you that is confused.
Lowlander wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:47 am it's set to install in a different location so that it doesn't mess with the existing MediaMonkey 4 install, so it's not an update, it's a separate install if you had MediaMonkey 4 previously (it would be an update for previous MediaMonkey 4 regular installs).
I do have MM4 installed.

MM5 does its full install into C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey 5, which is what I would have expected for a generational change (note #1) ... I would not want it install over the top of MM4, because I would want to evaluate|test|learn|commit_to MM5, in parallel with maintaining accessibility to MM4. ... Hopefully that behaviour persists once MM5 is released ... That is the norm for generational changes of s/w with significant customer data investment, isn't it? ... think Visual Studio or SQL Server

I don't think that it would good if the plan for a production install is update the MM4 db in-place, thereby making it corrupted from the POV of MM4.

I can't see why the install of MM5 in full mode is less smart and less helpful than an install of MM5 in portable mode.
I can't see why the 1st impression of a MM5 install, for a MM4 upgrader, has to be complicated by differences between these two install options, or has to be complicated by having to know where to copy what. and under which circumstances.

Note #1 actually I would really have expected it in C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey 5 ... ie. in 64 bit.:
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I can't see why the install of MM5 in full mode is less smart and less helpful than an install of MM5 in portable mode.
For me both types of installs ask me to import settings from MM4.

But in your case you have probably already installed a previous MM5 build and thus the data and settings were already imported in the history?
To confirm, delete C:\Users\Barry\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\ folder and try to run build 2267 again.
It will ask you to copy db and settings from MM4.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:41 am For me both types of installs ask me to import settings from MM4.

But in your case you have probably already installed a previous MM5 build and thus the data and settings were already imported in the history?
Good, that will be it. I see a file in there from March 2018, so I obviously did so, although I cannot remember it.