[REQ] Find more from same - Why is title missing?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

beg

[REQ] Find more from same - Why is title missing?

Post by beg »

Hi,

I use something like this massively in MM 4, but by the addon Advanced Dupicate find..

So MM5 offers a view options in "Find more from same", but the given choices seem to be a bit random.. Is there a way to cofigure those?

To be able to find more from various composers but not from e.g. title seems weired to us. We look for similar entries for the same Titles most of the time..
Last edited by beg on Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Find more from same - configurable?

Post by Lowlander »

Titles isn't available in MediaMonkey 4 either. This type of additional configuration is left to Addons just like with MediaMonkey 4.
beg

Re: [REQ] Find more from same - configurable?

Post by beg »

ok, but isn't it weired that there are so many "find more from same.." are available in MM5 by default - but just title is missing?

Well at least it shows various "find more from same.." entries in my version of original MM5 portable installation without any addons... I am just pointing out a strange selection of entries being offered there...

MM5 by default does offer:

Find more from: Album, Artist, Composers (all of them, so several..), Genre and Year.

So why is just Title missing? If MM is offering all of those, would it hurt to include Title too?
Lowlander

Re: [REQ] Find more from same - configurable?

Post by Lowlander »

No, Title was missing in MediaMonkey 4, and has been discussed with MediaMonkey 4 too. The developers added what is considered the most used (adding all tags would be too cluttered).

Any additional functionality can be added with Addons (just like in MediaMonkey 4) or you can use the Quick Search with Title:value to get files with the same titles.
beg

Re: [REQ] Find more from same - Why is title missing?

Post by beg »

so listing ALL tagged composers (which can be a lengthy list) to follow up is considered more impotant than the TITLE?!

I seems like almot ALL of the standard tags BUT THE TITLE were choosen..

The argument it will be too clustered is not valid since they chose to list ALL COMPOSERS which defentily could end up in a stupid long context list..

And when it was discussed back in MM4 maybe there was a reason for that.. Since this thread is also called "feature requests" this is one. Being discussed in MM4 and here again, is if anything rather an argument in favor for the cause.

I work professionally many many hours a day using MM. To me this would be important. Leaving out title does not make any sense to me and is also hard to argue in favor for when there can be 10 composers listed, but having the Title is too clustering.. : )

And not being in MM4 is hardly an argument for "feature requests for MM5"... : )
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This has been discussed at length. Composer is valuable for Classical Music. You're request stands, but it isn't odd that it's missing, it was chosen to not to be included.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi beg,

Firstly I think that a Find More Of Same option which allowed to pick a single tag from the current track, and for it then to filter upon tracks containing that value in that tag , would be a great feature. Maybe they could have a Recently Used section at the top, which in your case would = "Title". .... That would be great enhancement to MM5 IMO. ... If they had thought of it, when designing MM5, it probably would have been a no-brainer ... maybe too hard at this point of the MM5 release cycle, but maybe not?

Secondly there is a fairly simple workaround to your problem. See this video, which Finds More Of Same for track title "Dust My Broom". Steps:
  1. click on track twice (slowly) to select track title
  2. Ctrl+C key como to copy track text to clipboard
  3. Click Funnel icon (or press Ctrl + F)
  4. type the following 6 characters title:
  5. Ctrl+V to paste from clipboard
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I agree with Lowlander here - The "Find more from the same..." menu is pretty clearly meant to be a de-cluttered menu with just the tags that are most likely to be searched for - Sort of like a shortcut.
But MediaMonkey already has the extensive search functionality that you're looking for. I don't even see the searching of title:value as a workaround - I see it as perfectly useful. But as they said, if you want the simplicity of having it in a context menu, you can get or make add-ons that do that.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:42 am I don't even see the searching of title:value as a workaround - I see it as perfectly useful.
Doesn't that entirely depend upon how often your Use Case requires to make that search? The workaround is 12+ key strokes, versus 2 if were possible to make a Hot Key for Find More From Same.

And the OP's assertion that it was "weird" that Title is missing seems reasonable to me. Here are the tags that MM consider "basic" .. note the odd man out.
drakinite wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:42 am The "Find more from the same..." menu is pretty clearly meant to be a de-cluttered menu with just the tags that are most likely to be searched for - Sort of like a shortcut.
Also the de-cluttered menu argument seems bogus to me:
  • maybe they could consider dropping the "Folder Library" and "Folder All" opens from that menu ... does anyone use these? ... or even understand what they are trying to achieve, and would that be more generally applicable to find more of same title?.
Also is disappointing that the AlbumArtist tag was dropped as part of the migration from MM4 => MM5. One of many ways that albumartist is deprecated in MM5.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This was discussed with MediaMonkey 4 and they choose not to include then either.

Most files will have multiple matching files on Artist, Album Artist, Album, Composer as well as Folders, but many files have no matching files on Title. Although a few users have asked for it, it's not a flood of users requesting this and through Addons this feature can be expanded.

Folders (Library) I frequently use as well as Album, others not so much. Folders (All) made me think for a moment, but it's because My Computer was renamed to Folders and Folders (Folders) I guess was worse.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:12 pm Folders (Library) I frequently use as well as Album, others not so much. Folders (All) made me think for a moment, but it's because My Computer was renamed to Folders and Folders (Folders) I guess was worse.
:)
I mostly use Folders (Explorer]

<real question> I still can't undersatnd what Folders All, and Folders Library do ... and why they are worth their salt?
eg. I have 173 tracks by Kronos Quartet when I FMFS via Artist ... but only 11 by either of the above two Folder options ... what's going on with that? The options just seem to replicate FMFS by Album.

Lowlander wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:12 pm Most files will have multiple matching files on Artist, Album Artist, Album, Composer as well as Folders, but many files have no matching files on Title. Although a few users have asked for it, it's not a flood of users requesting this
Well I do thank them for adding a FMFS menu option for every artist or composer tag, and not just the last of each tags as in MM4 .... not that there was a flood of requests for that feature either.

I am album focused so searching for alternates of any specific song is rare for me, so the workaround is 100% OK.
I would think differently if I had a large mixed track collection, and was looking for alternate versions on a regular basis .. or had the Use Case as described by the OP.

Lowlander wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:12 pm This was discussed with MediaMonkey 4 and they choose not to include then either.
IMO they chose wrongly ... both for Title and AlbumArtist. ... And I still think that the following would be excellent improvement for power uses:
I think that a Find More Of Same option which allowed to pick a single tag from the current track, and for it then to filter upon tracks containing that value in that tag , would be a great feature. Maybe they could have a Recently Used section at the top
Given that Continuous Improvement is a thing, I haven't given up hoping on any of this ... You have argued elsewhere that they are reluctant to add new items to the UI, between major releases, due to documentation translation reasons, so that's a reason not to give easy ... because MM6 is not likely before some time in the late 2030's :D

Thanks for taking the time to respond anyway.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Folder (Library) uses the Location sub-node structure and only shows files in the Library whereas Folders (All) uses the Folders node. The latter would also show any files in the folder that aren't part of the MediaMonkey Library.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:12 pm Most files will have multiple matching files on Artist, Album Artist, Album, Composer as well as Folders, but many files have no matching files on Title. Although a few users have asked for it, it's not a flood of users requesting this and through Addons this feature can be expanded.
I noticed these stats from my library today. 22% of my track titles have alternate versions. ... And that is just exact duplicates. FMFS would also find close matches such as "xxxx" and "xxxx (alternate version)" and "xxxx- live from Melkweg Dec 2019" ... so make that at least 30+%