Does this install warning message have to be so alarming? [#17147]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Does this install warning message have to be so alarming? [#17147]

Post by Barry4679 »

Does this message have to be so alarming?

ie. maybe assure the user that their database and config options will not be "overridden"
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
drakinite

Re: 2276 - does this message have to be so alarming.

Post by drakinite »

You have a good point. It made sense for beta builds, where big (and breaking) changes could occur. But for stable updates, it's not a good idea to be so alarming. I'll ask about it.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
rusty

Post by rusty »

I suppose the only issue is the 'Warning: ' preface. We can remove that.

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:41 pm I suppose the only issue is the 'Warning: ' preface. We can remove that.
I don't think that there is any problem with the word "warning" ... the "will overwrite a an existing xxx installation" and the exclamtion mark are the alarming parts.

It would be good if people could be reassured that it doesn't blitz their database or config settings.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

There is a similar warning for a portable installation.
It scares the hell out of me every time. 😆

drakinite

Post by drakinite »

It might also be good to remove the exclamation point, as well:

"This will update an existing non-portable installation. Do you wish to proceed?"

Since it's not something that the user should ever be worried about, so the language choice would ideally reflect that.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks!

After reviewing your comments / discussing with drakinite, it seems that the best solution is to get rid of the warning entirely for 'normal' update usecases (i.e. updating MM5 (regular) --> MM5 (regular) OR MM5 (portable) --> MM5 (portable) since there's already a notification of how the update will proceed in the following dialog in the wizard.

Documented at:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17147

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:17 am After reviewing your comments / discussing with drakinite, it seems that the best solution is to get rid of the warning entirely for 'normal' update usecases (i.e. updating MM5 (regular) --> MM5 (regular) OR MM5 (portable) --> MM5 (portable) since there's already a notification of how the update will proceed in the following dialog in the wizard.
In 2281 the warning hasn't gone away "entirely".

Why am I being "warned" with an exclamation mark if my database and option settings are safe? What are you warning me against?
If you are going to issue a warning you need to address the elephant in the room.

Even if you removed the (redundant?) warning, you still should state what will happen to the customer's data and setting if they proceed with the install.
drakinite

Re: Does this install warning message have to be so alarming? [#17147]

Post by drakinite »

If you're referring to the note that's in the summary screen right before the installation starts, I don't believe that the notice should be removed entirely. After all, the user should know whether they're installing it in the right place or not. I personally have no issue with the text as it appears in the summary screen, because it's not in-your-face like the previous popup warning.

What if we settled for removing the "Warning:" from the text, for that situation where it's an MM5->MM5 update?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM5 UI is is open for changing and any changes to core .js files and MM5 functionality will be overwritten by factory files on installation.

Maybe wording needs to be corrected to be more clear?

Suggestions?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drakinite wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:39 pm What if we settled for removing the "Warning:" from the text, for that situation where it's an MM5->MM5 update?
Drakinite I agree your point about it being less of an issue as is less in your face.

What about if you "settled for" for some statement about whether or not the users data and options settings would be retained?
Currently the user sees that something is about to be "overwritten" ... so shouldn't the above point be made clear?

Peke wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:46 pm MM5 UI is is open for changing and any changes to core .js files and MM5 functionality will be overwritten by factory files on installation.
Maybe wording needs to be corrected to be more clear?

Suggestions?
Suggestions as above, and in my previous posts.

I don't think that people care about any .js files etc ... you have said that the existing installation is is being overwritten.
At least one other long term user has written here that this wording is alarming.
You should clear it up by a statement covering what happens with the user's data and option settings.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Okay, I see now.
How about:

MM5 -> MM5:
"This will over-write an existing (non-portable/portable) installation!
Your database and settings will not be changed."

MM4 -> MM5:
"Warning: This will over-write an existing (non-portable/portable installation!
You will have the option to import your database and settings."

I think there was a bit of resistance because we're trying to get MM5 translated at the minute, so it would have been preferable to not add new strings. But some things are necessary to change. :wink:
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Thanks drakinite.

All your suggestions sound good.

If there is problem translating the strings they could just delete the whole line. It adds no value IMO.
It is preferable to assure the user that data & settings are safe ... but concern is only raised due to the warning sentence.