Not possible to search for the band "The The" [#17412]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ssaunders

Not possible to search for the band "The The" [#17412]

Post by ssaunders »

Unusual name I know, but typing "the the" in the search bar to find all songs by this band doesn't work. Maybe for good reason, but thought I'd point it out.
Lowlander

Re: Not possible to search for the band "The The"

Post by Lowlander »

It's not the value that you use, it happens with all 2 values between double quotes. Investigating this further.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

ssaunders wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:06 pm Unusual name I know, but typing "the the" in the search bar to find all songs by this band doesn't work. Maybe for good reason, but thought I'd point it out.
a MM5 search using doubles quotes is case sensitive. ... ie. try "The The"
Is probably a bug because it is not documented in their hover tool tip.

[UPDATE]
actually the whole thing is a bit of a mess.
  • contextual search of "xxxxx" in List view is case sensitive
  • contextual seach of "xxxxx" in Browser view is not
  • whole db search (magnifying glass) automatically seems to introduce its own double quotes around whatever you type, so is hard to test what would happen without them... if you provide you own double quotes, as per the help tooltip, they get doubled up, and the filter fails for that reason
You could try changing the "ignore prefixes" option in Tools|Options|Library|Fields ... that automatically strips off "the" ... so that may be affecting the filter for The The ... I can't test because I have none of their albums.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
robojock

Post by robojock »

I posted a similar issue with MM4 back in 2019 and even noticed it was an issue with MM5 back then as well
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That search works in MMW5. TheFatRat finds results by TheFatRat
robojock

Post by robojock »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:50 am That search works in MMW5. TheFatRat finds results by TheFatRat
Which is correct, now do a search with just the word "fat" or "rat" it won't appear in the search results because "the" is in front. I don't know if that is what the op is also experiencing but that is the issue i had (haven't tested it again since)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

robojock wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:05 pmWhich is correct, now do a search with just the word "fat" or "rat" it won't appear
It works for me when Search Mode is set to Respect diacritics / Match within words under Tools > Options Search.
ssaunders

Post by ssaunders »

Barry4679 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:43 pm a MM5 search using doubles quotes is case sensitive. ... ie. try "The The"
"The The" in quotes with capitalisation works, but it's cumbersome. Lowercase in quotes returns no matches for me.
Barry4679 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:43 pm You could try changing the "ignore prefixes" option in Tools|Options|Library|Fields ... that automatically strips off "the" ... so that may be affecting the filter for The The ... I can't test because I have none of their albums.
Turning that off seems to make no difference for any searching, which makes sense given the options description of affecting sort order.

S.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The quotes are used to limit the search to a specific value, this is useful for finding files with the wrong capitalization.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:58 am The quotes are used to limit the search to a specific value, this is useful for finding files with the wrong capitalization.
How does a double quoted query help locate files with incorrect capitalisation? It doesn't seem to me that it is useful for that task.

I think that very little of the "quoting" part of search|filter is useful. It has two problems:
  • the documentation is poor and incorrect
  • the behaviour is complex, and appears to be inconsistent
  1. Documentation
    • this tool tip indicates that quoted criteria is not case significant. eg. "Foo" finds "Foo or foo" ... this is correct, but "foo bar" does not find Foo Bar, so I think that hint is misleading ... and the example "foo bar" finds "foo barman" is also misleading because it seems that "bar" would not find barman, see last bullet point below.
    • I see that you have altered the online help to reflect some of the commentary from this thread, which is good. But you don't address the complication of quoted single words vs quoted multiple words. Nor do you address the issue where a quoted search needs the whole word, see last bullet point below.
  2. Complex|Inconsistent.
    • See here. I have used correct capitalisation. The Rolling Stones, without capitalisation, finds the artist The Rolling Stones, and one album, which has "the Rolling Stones" in the album title, and 302 tracks ... but if I quote the same query, it still finds the 302 tracks, but does not find the artist, and it can now see three albums (?!) .
    • Or here, when I have used incorrect capitalisation ... unquoted stones finds 1 artist, one album, and 316 tracks .. most tracks belong to The Rolling stones ... if I quote, like this "stones" ... it loses two of the tracks, but mostly finds everything else ... ie. this query is not case sensitive ... but "rolling stones" finds no artist nor tracks, so is now case sensitive .. but still finds that one album (?!)
    • the two tracks that went missing in the above point were due to the whole word nature of a quoted criteria .. ie. one missing tag was "stonescape", and the other was "(the Rolling Stones)" where the closing bracket caused the track to be excluded ... it would have been better if they could have handled that one better, by making punctuation invisible
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Double quotes serve no purpose with a single value, it's there for multi value searches. For a single value search use +foo to only get foo.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The case sensitivity when searching for "The The" is really a regression. The bug does not happen in MM4 (or MM5 prior to 2282)

Fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17412