Volume analysis of AAC-based video files crashing/not working, hit/miss [#17418]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ssaunders

Volume analysis of AAC-based video files crashing/not working, hit/miss [#17418]

Post by ssaunders »

I've noticed that I have a reproducible crash with volume analysis of music videos. (On build 2293.)

Sometimes it works. Most times it doesn't. Often MMW crashes during its background scanning, where I've been sending debug logs using the automated facility. I've turned it off for stability reasons. It scans for a while, with most results ending up "!", then crashes after scanning about 50 or more post startup.

Is it worth sharing a music vid that works, and one that doesn't? Happy to, but I can't spot much consistency as most of my MV files are encoded MP4 H264/AAC LC. Date ranges of the files that work are right up to present year plus ancient, and the latest stuff is definitely MP4 H264/AAC LC. Equally, there are 'modern' files that don't get analysed properly that I know are MP4 H264/AAC LC. I've no idea what's causing it to crash, but it doesn't do so when it isn't analysing to that's definitely the culprit.

Ludek

Re: Volume analysis of AAC-based video files crashing/not working, hit/miss

Post by Ludek »

ssaunders wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:00 am Is it worth sharing a music vid that works, and one that doesn't?
Yes, please share a video that results in the crash.

EDIT: Entered as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17418
I also see that a file that is analyzed fine in MM4 fails to analyze in MM5
uitje30

Some isues/confirmation about bugs

Post by uitje30 »

Hi,

Now that I finished the Dutch translation, I have some more time to really use MM5 and look at new features.
Some things really bother me (but it's not the final release, so I understand... :-) ) But there are two that actually annoy me:
1. The column-width issue mentioned before (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=97526) still isn't fixed. When going from one album to the other, for example, MM sometimes resets the column-width. At first, it seemed pretty random to me, but it seems that it mostly happens to the the Rating-column and the Time-column. But others seem to show the same (random) behavior.
2. The Analyze volume problem that is mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98206. It happens also to m4a-files and (I think) to some FLACs. The same problem occurs in the latest MM4-build. Funny thing is that the program doesn't crash, the background process simply stops. I can cancel it, causing the progress bar to disappear. When trying the same file after cancellation, volume won't be analyzed. When I close the program completely and try the same file after re-opening, it is being analyzed. This makes me think the problem isn't in the file but in MM itself. As I said, same issue in MM4.

Could the problem be that the audio-file are stored on a NAS? I am starting to think that this problem does not occur when files are stored locally. But I didn't have the time yet to really investigate this.
Lowlander

Re: Volume analysis of AAC-based video files crashing/not working, hit/miss [#17418]

Post by Lowlander »

Post in existing topics.

Capture volume analysis stopping in the debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
ssaunders

Re: Volume analysis of AAC-based video files crashing/not working, hit/miss [#17418]

Post by ssaunders »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:44 am Capture volume analysis stopping in the debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Looks like already fixed in build 2298, Lowlander. Tks.
ssaunders

Re: Some isues/confirmation about bugs

Post by ssaunders »

uitje30 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:06 am Could the problem be that the audio-file are stored on a NAS?
All my music and music videos are stored on NAS mounted as a drive letter.

(Oops, Lowlander, support ticket stuff not directed at me :oops: ...)
rusty

Post by rusty »

So iiuc, the volume leveling problem is no longer occurring in recent builds (I'm not seeing any such issue in 2310)?

-Rusty
uitje30

Post by uitje30 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:44 am Post in existing topics.

Capture volume analysis stopping in the debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
@lowlander
Sorry, but I'm not your dog.
I'm only trying to help to make thelp. If you want me to do something, you can ask. Don't order.
I've spent days translating the program at the request of Rusell. And doing so, I stumbled upon some issues that I think that should be taken care of. I don't appreciate being barged around after taking these afforts.

So, lower your voice.

Thank you.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
We are sorry, that you understood it like that. It is just an template answer when there is a problem we can't replicate. It definitely was not an order in any way and it was not meant to be understood like that.

Plain English translation can make things worse. I know also, as I am not an native English speaker.

I have one question for you, non related to this issue eg. would you prefer that Dutch shows in MM list of Languages as "Dutch (Netherlands)" or just "Dutch". We are trying to unify how languages shows, so an input would be more than welcome?

As for column based browsing had a bug and it should be improved/fixed in next build. See https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17598

Thank you, for answers and Dutch work.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts