2401 - horizontal mouse wheel not working

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2401 - horizontal mouse wheel not working

Post by Barry4679 »

Tested using List view.
The problem exists with the horizontal mouse wheel ... using the main wheel, with shift key down, scrolls horizontally OK as expected.

Mouse mouse is Logitech Wireless MX Master 3 ... firmware 019.001.00015

When I open MM5 the horizontal wheel functions ok for a couple of millimetres of movement, but then becomes unresponsive. ... It is unresponsive until the next time MM5 is restarted.

Same thing with the release version of MM5 btw .... but I am reasonably sure that it did once work during the beta cycle
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Re: 2401 - horizontal mouse wheel not working

Post by Barry4679 »

The Logitech s/w allows me to assign an Application specific behaviour to the mouse's horizontal scrollbar.
I set a behaviour for MM5 to raise|lower the volume ... that works OK, so MM5 is receiving something from the mouse.
But if I delete the MM5 specific rule, or assign the MM5 behaviour to the default of horizontal scroll, MM5 messes up as previously described.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I can't reproduce. I followed this topic to use my AutoHotkey script to create a special horizontal scroll event, and it works fine on MM5. https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/210- ... al-scroll/

Do you have any more info on how we can reproduce the behavior without needing your mouse? Any idea how to do it using something like AutoHotkey?

Edit: Tried +WheelDown::WheelLeft and +WheelDown::WheelRight commands using AHK; Still no unresponsive UI yet.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drakinite wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:26 pm Do you have any more info on how we can reproduce the behavior without needing your mouse? Any idea how to do it using something like AutoHotkey?
Do you have a mouse with a horizontal wheel? .. If no, you could invest in one?

I don't think that it is an issue with my mouse. The wheel works fine with apps like Excel and Word. It works fine with 3rd party apps like EditPad Pro. ... It works fine in MM5 if I assign it altering volume. ... But take look at this ... when I use the horizontal scroll wheel, to adjust the volume, MM% opens a mini player widket at top left of the screen, and adjusts the voulume in there, while making no adjustment to the volumn control in the main gui ... maybe the min player, which I have never opened in this installation of MM% btw ... maybe that other window is stealing the horizontal mouse wheel action?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
NOTE: Using SHIFT+Mouse Wheel starts Horizontal scroll.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:34 am NOTE: Using SHIFT+Mouse Wheel starts Horizontal scroll.
Yes, but what do you mean? .. I have said that twice already in this thread.

The issue that I am posting about is that the horizontal thumb wheel (available on some mice) does not work.
I believe that it did work at some point during the beta.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I've tried multiple different ways of scrolling horizontally - Different ways of forcing the input via AutoHotkey, using X-Mouse Button Control, and also using my laptop touchpad. None of them cause issues for me.

If you're on a debug build, could you do me a favor and open the developer console, and enter this into the console:

app.listen(window, 'wheel', e => console.log(e));

Then use the horizontal scroll that causes the issues, and send a screenshot of the "WheelEvent" that was recorded to the console? I'd like to see if there's anything strange that's recorded by Chromium that causes the MediaMonkey UI to break.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:58 am The issue that I am posting about is that the horizontal thumb wheel (available on some mice) does not work.
I believe that it did work at some point during the beta.
Sorry, I misread it. I do not have Mouse with horizontal wheel.
Here is How I solved that on my Mouse Software:

Edit: I tested Logitech Gaming software that I use for my Logitech G19s keyboard and it have Mouse Scroll left/right and it works in MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drakinite wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:50 pm I've tried multiple different ways of scrolling horizontally - Different ways of forcing the input via AutoHotkey, using X-Mouse Button Control, and also using my laptop touchpad. None of them cause issues for me.

If you're on a debug build, could you do me a favor and open the developer console, and enter this into the console:

Then use the horizontal scroll that causes the issues, and send a screenshot of the "WheelEvent" that was recorded to the console? I'd like to see if there's anything strange that's recorded by Chromium that causes the MediaMonkey UI to break.
Not used that tool before.
Don't know if I used it correctly.
There are two options; "Inspect Element" and " Open Dev Tools in Chrome"

If I take the later option, it displays a copy of the MM5 gui in the browser, alongside the Developer panels
If I give focus to the browser version of the MM5 GUI, the horizontal mouse wheel works perfectly

Code: Select all

e => console.log(e)
VM516:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -80.56871795654297, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM516:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -14.7709321975708, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM516:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -14.7709321975708, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM516:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -30.21327018737793, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
But the horizontal mouse wheel is still unresponsive in the real MM5 window

e => console.log(e)
VM516:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: 100, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM516:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM516:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}

Alternatively if I take option "Inspect Element", it opens the DEV in a separate window.
When I interact with the MM5 GUI I get this ... ie. one micro mouse movement, but then nothing, as reported earlier

e => console.log(e)
VM1372:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: 100, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM1372:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM1372:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
Out of interest I then switched the mouse wheel behaviour from horizontal scroll ==> volume up|down.
In that situation the MM5 gui is getting no WheelEvents ... it gets nothing at all ... this weird panel opens ... what is that? Maybe it is something produced by my soundboard.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Ty for the info - FYI, I've found that "Inspect Element" (which opens the devtools in a separate window) are more useful, as when you select "Open Devtools in Chrome", it changes your mouse interactions to a simulated touch device.
Barry4679 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:21 pm When I interact with the MM5 GUI I get this ... ie. one micro mouse movement, but then nothing, as reported earlier

e => console.log(e)
VM1372:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: 100, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM1372:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
VM1372:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
It's quite interesting that you are getting so many wheel events in a row. When you did this, did you only move the physical scroll wheel one "tick"? When I simulate a horizontal scroll via my AHK script, I only get one log event per time I press the button: https://lambda.sx/Pj2Z.mp4

Typically, only touchpads cause a ton of wheel events (because of their native acceleration): https://lambda.sx/oaAy.mp4

Could you expand those WheelEvent logs, and send a screenshot of the entire thing, like this? https://i.imgur.com/mgiJKsm.png (Don't worry about that long list to the right of "path" - All I'm looking for is the numbers.) I wanna see if there's something strange/unexpected that's causing something to break. I'm interested in the first one ("deltaX: 100") and the ones that show "deltaX: -0" - Don't worry about sending a copy of all of the zero ones, if they all look the same to you. If the UI is getting nine scroll-wheel events in the same frame, that might be what's causing the issue- We'll hopefully see soon enough.
Barry4679 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:21 pm Out of interest I then switched the mouse wheel behaviour from horizontal scroll ==> volume up|down.
In that situation the MM5 gui is getting no WheelEvents ... it gets nothing at all ... this weird panel opens ... what is that? Maybe it is something produced by my soundboard.
That's just Windows 10's native volume control popup. It opens when you press volume controls on your keyboard. I'm surprised you haven't seen it before. Why MediaMonkey causes it to open is another mystery... Let's get to that later, after we figure out the horizontal mouse wheel issue.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drakinite wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:56 pm It's quite interesting that you are getting so many wheel events in a row. When you did this, did you only move the physical scroll wheel one "tick"? When I simulate a horizontal scroll via my AHK script, I only get one log event per time I press the button: https://lambda.sx/Pj2Z.mp4
The thumb wheel is freespin, ie. not a ratchet with steps. ... And yes, and I was a bit persistent with it, trying to get some action. :)

Here is the smallest nudge that I can manage.

e => console.log(e)
VM1345:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -100, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}altKey: falsebubbles: truebutton: 0buttons: 0cancelBubble: falsecancelable: trueclientX: 438clientY: 203composed: truectrlKey: falsecurrentTarget: nulldefaultPrevented: falsedeltaMode: 0deltaX: -100deltaY: -0deltaZ: 0detail: 0eventPhase: 0fromElement: nullisTrusted: truelayerX: 212layerY: -1metaKey: falsemovementX: 0movementY: 0offsetX: 211offsetY: -1pageX: 438pageY: 203path: (29) [div.lvcolumnitem, div.lvitem.rowitem.flex.row.gridrow, div.lvviewport, div.lvcanvas, div.lvfill, div.lvbody.fill, div.listview.flex.column.showinline.viewcontrol.canscrollhoriz, div.scrollable.fill, div.fill.flex.column, div.fill.layer.flex.column, div.fill.flex.column.middlecontrol.nontransparent, div.dynamic.flex.column, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.dynamic.flex.column, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.fill.flex.column.nooverflow, div.fill.animate, div.fill, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.fill.flex.column, div.fill.flex.column.animate, div.fill.flex.column.animate, div#windowcontent, div.fill.windowheaderoffset, div.winborder, body, html, document, Window]relatedTarget: nullreturnValue: truescreenX: -883screenY: 491shiftKey: falsesourceCapabilities: nullsrcElement: div.lvcolumnitemtarget: div.lvcolumnitemtimeStamp: 58308.91499994323toElement: div.lvcolumnitemtype: "wheel"view: Window {window: Window, self: Window, document: document, name: "", location: Location, …}wheelDelta: 120wheelDeltaX: 120wheelDeltaY: 0which: 0x: 438y: 203__proto__: WheelEvent
VM1345:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}altKey: falsebubbles: truebutton: 0buttons: 0cancelBubble: falsecancelable: falseclientX: 438clientY: 203composed: truectrlKey: falsecurrentTarget: nulldefaultPrevented: falsedeltaMode: 0deltaX: -0deltaY: -0deltaZ: 0detail: 0eventPhase: 0fromElement: nullisTrusted: truelayerX: 212layerY: -1metaKey: falsemovementX: 0movementY: 0offsetX: 211offsetY: -1pageX: 438pageY: 203path: (29) [div.lvcolumnitem, div.lvitem.rowitem.flex.row.gridrow, div.lvviewport, div.lvcanvas, div.lvfill, div.lvbody.fill, div.listview.flex.column.showinline.viewcontrol.canscrollhoriz, div.scrollable.fill, div.fill.flex.column, div.fill.layer.flex.column, div.fill.flex.column.middlecontrol.nontransparent, div.dynamic.flex.column, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.dynamic.flex.column, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.fill.flex.column.nooverflow, div.fill.animate, div.fill, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.fill.flex.column, div.fill.flex.column.animate, div.fill.flex.column.animate, div#windowcontent, div.fill.windowheaderoffset, div.winborder, body, html, document, Window]relatedTarget: nullreturnValue: truescreenX: -883screenY: 491shiftKey: falsesourceCapabilities: nullsrcElement: div.lvcolumnitemtarget: div.lvcolumnitemtimeStamp: 58310.43499999214toElement: div.lvcolumnitemtype: "wheel"view: Window {window: Window, self: Window, document: document, name: "", location: Location, …}wheelDelta: 0wheelDeltaX: 0wheelDeltaY: 0which: 0x: 438y: 203__proto__: WheelEvent
VM1345:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}altKey: falsebubbles: truebutton: 0buttons: 0cancelBubble: falsecancelable: trueclientX: 438clientY: 203composed: truectrlKey: falsecurrentTarget: nulldefaultPrevented: falsedeltaMode: 0deltaX: -0deltaY: -0deltaZ: 0detail: 0eventPhase: 0fromElement: nullisTrusted: truelayerX: 212layerY: -1metaKey: falsemovementX: 0movementY: 0offsetX: 211offsetY: -1pageX: 438pageY: 203path: (29) [div.lvcolumnitem, div.lvitem.rowitem.flex.row.gridrow, div.lvviewport, div.lvcanvas, div.lvfill, div.lvbody.fill, div.listview.flex.column.showinline.viewcontrol.canscrollhoriz, div.scrollable.fill, div.fill.flex.column, div.fill.layer.flex.column, div.fill.flex.column.middlecontrol.nontransparent, div.dynamic.flex.column, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.dynamic.flex.column, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.fill.flex.column.nooverflow, div.fill.animate, div.fill, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.fill.flex.column, div.fill.flex.column.animate, div.fill.flex.column.animate, div#windowcontent, div.fill.windowheaderoffset, div.winborder, body, html, document, Window]relatedTarget: nullreturnValue: truescreenX: -883screenY: 491shiftKey: falsesourceCapabilities: nullsrcElement: div.lvcolumnitemtarget: div.lvcolumnitemtimeStamp: 58408.86500000488toElement: div.lvcolumnitemtype: "wheel"view: Window {window: Window, self: Window, document: document, name: "", location: Location, …}wheelDelta: 0wheelDeltaX: 0wheelDeltaY: 0which: 0x: 438y: 203__proto__: WheelEvent
VM1345:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}altKey: falsebubbles: truebutton: 0buttons: 0cancelBubble: falsecancelable: trueclientX: 438clientY: 203composed: truectrlKey: falsecurrentTarget: nulldefaultPrevented: falsedeltaMode: 0deltaX: -0deltaY: -0deltaZ: 0detail: 0eventPhase: 0fromElement: nullisTrusted: truelayerX: 212layerY: -1metaKey: falsemovementX: 0movementY: 0offsetX: 211offsetY: -1pageX: 438pageY: 203path: (29) [div.lvcolumnitem, div.lvitem.rowitem.flex.row.gridrow, div.lvviewport, div.lvcanvas, div.lvfill, div.lvbody.fill, div.listview.flex.column.showinline.viewcontrol.canscrollhoriz, div.scrollable.fill, div.fill.flex.column, div.fill.layer.flex.column, div.fill.flex.column.middlecontrol.nontransparent, div.dynamic.flex.column, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.dynamic.flex.column, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.fill.flex.column.nooverflow, div.fill.animate, div.fill, div.fill.flex.row.hassplitters, div.fill.flex.column, div.fill.flex.column.animate, div.fill.flex.column.animate, div#windowcontent, div.fill.windowheaderoffset, div.winborder, body, html, document, Window]relatedTarget: nullreturnValue: truescreenX: -883screenY: 491shiftKey: falsesourceCapabilities: nullsrcElement: div.lvcolumnitemtarget: div.lvcolumnitemtimeStamp: 58498.889999929816toElement: div.lvcolumnitemtype: "wheel"view: Window {window: Window, self: Window, document: document, name: "", location: Location, …}wheelDelta: 0wheelDeltaX: 0wheelDeltaY: 0which: 0x: 438y: 203__proto__: WheelEvent
VM1345:1 WheelEvent {isTrusted: true, deltaX: -0, deltaY: -0, deltaZ: 0, deltaMode: 0, …}
drakinite wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:56 pm That's just Windows 10's native volume control popup. It opens when you press volume controls on your keyboard. I'm surprised you haven't seen it before. Why MediaMonkey causes it to open is another mystery... Let's get to that later, after we figure out the horizontal mouse wheel issue.
Funny.
I never play any media using my PC. I have a couple of Sonos speakers on the desk, and a sub under it. So everything gets played by Sonos.