MM5 usability tweaks [#17809][#17810]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

MM5 usability tweaks [#17809][#17810]

Post by Barry4679 »

I did some housekeeping today. Liking the non-debug version of MM5.

Here are a couple of usability issues:
  • a track drag&drop, with shift key down, gives a cut&paste as expected, but the status bar message still says "copying xxx" ... that is alarming, it should say "moving" ... it just creates self-doubt, and triggers needless checks to verify what actually did happen
  • The Folders node in the Media Tree is a pain to use without MM4's power-scroll feature .... ie. when focus was in the Folders node, typing '"mi" causing you to scroll the tree down towards "miles davis"
    • if you can't easily implement this, could you add a "jump to" menu item in the context menu for Folder sub-nodes ... so that I could right click, and you open a dbox where I could type "mi" to get the desired scroll ?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2338 - MM5 usability tweaks

Post by Ludek »

Re D&D: How exactly you performs the Drag & Drop ?

MM5 has the power scroll feature on the Media Tree just like in MM4, but you need to enable
'[x] Show all subnodes' in the hamburger menu of the Media tree

The rationale is that if someone uses all the subnodes (like all individual artists) then the power scroll in the media tree is welcome.
But if you focus Music > Artists in the media tree without all the subnodes enabled (default config) then typing rather performs the filtering in the Artist grid (on the right) as more desirable/useful action than making the power scroll on the 'Media Tree' without the subnodes
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm Re D&D: How exactly you performs the Drag & Drop ?
  • List By Album view open, in Location sub-node, in the main panel
  • click album art to select all tracks for the album
  • shift click and drag tracks into desired position in Media Tree's Folders node
Ludek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm MM5 has the power scroll feature on the Media Tree just like in MM4, but you need to enable
'[x] Show all subnodes' in the hamburger menu of the Media tree
Jeez, that option name sux doesn't it?
I tried turning it on and then off ... maybe I am not very observant, but I could not see that it had any effect upon sub-nodes in the Folders node.
It does enable powerscroll (thanks), but I would never have found it on my own.

Suggest that the option be easier to find, and separated from the sub-node toggle. ... Power scroll in the Folders node should be defaulted to on in the Folders node IMO, if only for ease of migration from MM4. In MM4 it was always available, and is very useful in the long vertical lists that you typically get in this node.

Ludek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm The rationale is that if someone uses all the subnodes (like all individual artists) then the power scroll in the media tree is welcome.
But if you focus Music > Artists in the media tree without all the subnodes enabled (default config) then typing rather performs the filtering in the Artist grid (on the right) as more desirable/useful action than making the power scroll on the 'Media Tree' without the subnodes
I like the new way of navigation, and prefer to have sub-nodes off.
But the new paradigm does not work so well in the Folders node IMO. The Recursive option is just too slow in a large music share.

I tried experimenting some more after reading your comments. I see that if I turn on the in-panel "Trees (Folders)" element, then I have something that is workable. But there are two problems:
  • if I am dragging as described at the top of this post, I want the main panel pointing to the Location sub-node of my collection ... so in that situation I am forced to deal with the vertical list in Folders in Media Tree .... and power scroll is essential really
  • and the scenario, in the bullet point above, is the main scenario for the Folders node AFAICS
  • and by the time that people get to discover the View Elements in the Folders node, they are almost a MM5 Pro .... ie. a new or evaluating user if going to get frustrated by the apparent lack of power scroll long before they find any solution
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

D&D misleading text issue is tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17809

The power scroll issue tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17810
Peke

Re: MM5 usability tweaks [#17809][#17810]

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts