Auto-tag - not possible add composer tag? [#17958]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Auto-tag - not possible add composer tag? [#17958]

Post by Barry4679 »

Your Internet source that you use for tag lookup in auto-tag feature doesn't supply composer tags?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Re: Auto-tag - not possible add composer tag?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Classical Auto-Tagging are tricky due the lots bad data on sites that have API support third party apps.

If you know good source for Classical music metadata please let us know and we will see what can be done.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:11 pm Classical Auto-Tagging are tricky due the lots bad data on sites that have API support third party apps.
I was not asking about Classic music. My Classical music is well tagged already.

It seems strange that MM Auto Tag facility doesn't assist with the Composer tag.
All tags are from community sources, and therefore may need vetting before accepting.
Why don't you include the Composer tag? If people don't like the quality of what they see they, they can turn the tag off. You could default it to off if you have doubts about the quality.

In my case none of my non-Classical tracks have composer tags, to overcome inadequacies in Sonos controller software.
I wanted to see the composer of a track that was playing, and was surprised that even after MM5's Internet improvements there was still no help available via MM5. ... Could be improved?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rusty

Post by rusty »

MusicBrainz usually doesn't indicate the 'composer' for contemporary music, though it often indicates the songwriter, e.g.
https://musicbrainz.org/release/dcb96a4 ... 79a0ce41e5

I haven't studied their approach across a broad range of tracks, but at first glance it doesn't look as if there's an obvious distinction between the composer and the lyricist (i.e. it wouldn't be obvious where to save the metadata).

Suggestions welcome.

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 am MusicBrainz usually doesn't indicate the 'composer' for contemporary music, though it often indicates the songwriter, e.g.
https://musicbrainz.org/release/dcb96a4 ... 79a0ce41e5

I haven't studied their approach across a broad range of tracks, but at first glance it doesn't look as if there's an obvious distinction between the composer and the lyricist (i.e. it wouldn't be obvious where to save the metadata).

Suggestions welcome.
I started this thread as a question. I was surprised that the composer tag wasn't covered, and was wishing that it was.

From what you have said, and Peke has said in a PM, I see that the composer tag coverage is patchy at best, and is not well standardised.

In answer to your question I would think that it would be Ok to have multiple composer tags, including one for the lyrics writer if this is a separate entity. ... It would be also OK if the data quality was sometimes of a low quality. ... In some cases it is unavailable, but where it is available it seems correct usually.

As you point out MusicBrainz quality for composer is of relatively low quality.

Here is your example in AllMusic; available via https://www.allmusic.com/search/all/alo ... e%20weeknd
That is clearer than MusicBrainz, but I don't know whether there is an api, and the db is now owned by whomever bought Tivo, so it won't be free.

Similar data is available in MusicBrainz, but it is messy in your example track .... Although many tracks are much more straight forward.

I don't have the CD booklet, so I don't know which is the most correct. I suspect AllMusic is, because it better aligns with what is in Wikipedia for the same track.

So maybe the quality is not good enough for a batch update in AutoTag style, but it would be probably ne appreciated even if it was available from the context menu something like Lookup Image facility ... ie, display it in a dbox, with option to persist it into a tag.

It would be OK in the the ONLINE tab with the Album Detail panel (with offer to persist to tags)... at leasr that would add a little value to that tab ... there is not value there atm

And it would even be OK in Auto Tag if it was defaulted off, and only was only offered if the Composer tag was currently empty

The existing situation is that MM5 has added online integration, but completely ignores the Composer tag ... that seems a cop out to me, even though the job is not easy
rusty

Post by rusty »

sjaves

Re: Auto-tag - not possible add composer tag? [#17958]

Post by sjaves »

Sonata DB http://english.digibit.es/products/sonata-db/ is designed for classical music. I've found GD3 https://www.getdigitaldata.com/ to work well too. Discogs also handles classical well.