Sync to USB Flash Drive Doesn't Work [#18016][#18038]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

nanite2000

Sync to USB Flash Drive Doesn't Work [#18016][#18038]

Post by nanite2000 »

When trying to sync playlists to a USB flash drive, MediaMonkey 5 does not correctly calculate the amount of space required, nor the amount of free space available on the device:

When I click 'SYNC NOW', nothing happens - no files are copied or removed from the USB device.

When I try the same USB device in MediaMonkey 4 (v4.1.31.1919), it works correctly - the amount of free space is correctly calculated, and the playlists/files sync correctly:

I have tried formatting the flash drive and deleting the hardware profile in MediaMonkey, but the problem still occurs.

The USB device is a Samsung USB3.1 Duo Plus 32GB Flash Drive connected via a USB3 port, however I also get the same behaviour with other USB flash drives.

I am using MediaMonkey v5.0.0.2338 on Windows 10 Pro, Build 19043.1052.

I use MediaMonkey to create playlists for DJ-ing, so this is a showstopper for me. I will have to remain on MediaMonkey v4 until this issue is resolved.
Ludek

Re: Sync to USB Flash Drive Doesn't Work

Post by Ludek »

Hi, the images are too tiny to see the text on it, I can't read the text and see the values.

Please open support ticket and attach the images there in a higher resolution, we probably will need also debug log (item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643 ) as we can't replicate the issue.

Thanks!
Ludek

Re: Sync to USB Flash Drive Doesn't Work

Post by Ludek »

OK, no need for further info.

I've just replicated the issue with one of my devices: https://www.dropbox.com/s/28k420js0rlxt ... 9.png?dl=0

To be fixed as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18016

Thanks for reporting!
nanite2000

Re: [BUG] Sync to USB Flash Drive Doesn't Work [#18016]

Post by nanite2000 »

Great - thanks Ludek! 8)
nanite2000

Re: Sync to USB Flash Drive Doesn't Work [#18016]

Post by nanite2000 »

Hi Ludek,

I just downloaded MediaMonkey 5.0.1.2416 RC-2 and retried the USB sync. I can get the playlists to sync now (πŸ‘), but it still has some issues.

I formatted the USB flash drive to ensure a clean setup on the new version of MediaMonkey, and I noticed the following when syncing:
  1. The flash drive shows up twice - once as a generic USB flash drive, and also as an 'iPod Shuffle'. Is this intentional?
  2. When selecting playlists, the amount of space required by the playlists is not updated. This makes it impossible to see if I am trying to sync more data than I have space for. (I have selected 'Scan as soon as the device is selected').
    If the device comes close to running out of free space during a sync, I get the following error for all subsequent sync actions (including delete):
    "Application throw an exception TDeviceCalculator.calcFinish:freeSpace < 0 !!!
    (D:\Delphi\MediaMonkeyClean\HTML5Monkey\Device.pas, line 13732)

Would you like to restart MediaMonkey in Safe mode?"

In this case, when I checked the amount of free space, I still had around 15% (5GB) free space still available.
  3. If I select a parent playlist that has child playlists, this appears to select all child playlists but no files will sync from those child playlists. Instead, I must select all playlists individually under the parent playlist to enable file sync.
    This is a little inconvenient, but not a dealbreaker. However, it is very misleading to the user. When selecting the parent playlist, it should either:
    • not select any child playlists, so the user must select them all manually.
      OR
    • select all child playlists (as it does now) and sync all selected playlists.
  4. When the first sync is complete, the amount of space used is not correctly calculated. Some of it is marked as 'Audio', and the rest is marked as 'Other':
    • The section marked as 'Other' is the correctly calculated used space.
    • The section marked as 'Audio' appears to serve no purpose, and incorrectly suggests more space is being used than in reality.
    • (Reconnecting the flash drive correctly calculates all the used space being taken up as 'Audio', and 'Other' is not displayed until the next sync).
Hopefully all this information is useful to you. I'm happy to provide any testing data you need to help resolve these issues.

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, looking into it and I'll reply here shortly.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

re issues 2/3/4: At first I was unable to replicate, but playing with it a bit I was able to get into same state like you, so I have probably enough info to fix it, thx.

EDIT: fixed them for 2417

re issue 1) I cannot replicate and I don't see a reason why the flash drive should show twice (once as iPod Shuffle).
Please capture this in debug log (see item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 32#p430332 )
Just be sure that DbgView is started prior to MM5 start, thanks!
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Thanks Ludek - I've attached the log to support ticket #1896.
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Hi Ludek,

I've been testing flash drive sync with MediaMonkey 5.0.1.2418 RC-3 - some items have been fixed, but other issues are still present:
  1. The flash drive shows up twice - once as a generic USB flash drive, and also as an 'iPod Shuffle'.
    I've updated the corresponding ticket (#1896).
  2. When selecting playlists, the amount of space required by the playlists is not updated properly.
    This is still a problem. Some playlists consistently fail to correctly update the required space on the flash drive. It is the same playlist(s) each time but I have not been able to determine what is the common factor in those playlists that cause this issue. The playlists exhibit different behaviour depending on which other playlists are selected:
    • Selecting the affected playlist by itself correctly updates the required space on the flash drive. However, if you add other playlists, the required space on the flash drive is not updated correctly.
    • Selecting other (unaffected) playlists correctly updates the required space on the flash drive. However, if you then select an affected playlist, the required space is either incorrectly updated, or not updated at all.
    If I hover my mouse pointer over the playlist(s), the size of the playlist (in MB or GB) is correctly shown in the tooltip, so I don't understand why the value in the tooltip is not being applied to the free space calculation.
    This problem occurs with both static playlists and auto playlists.
  3. Selecting a parent playlist does not sync its child playlists.
    Fixed! βœ”
  4. When a sync is complete, the amount of space used is not correctly calculated.
    The amount of used space/free space after a sync is shown correctly until you close MediaMonkey.
    If you restart MediaMonkey, the used space is incorrectly split between 'Audio' and 'Other', with 'Other' being the correct amount of space used by MediaMonkey.
    The space on the device is then correctly calculated and updated after 75 secs (for a 20GB collection).
  5. (NEW!) Tracks that contain a percent ('%') in the file name generate an error.
    For example, 'Duke Dumont - Need U (100%).mp3'. The error does not seem to prevent the affected files from being copied to the device though.
    See:
Let me know if you want me to raise any support tickets or provide logs to track the unresolved issues.

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,

re 1) OK, I re-opened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18038 and will try to figure out why this is still happening for you

re 2) Aren't those affected playlists just the playlists for which the tracks are already uploaded to the device?
i.e. if the playlist's tracks are already on the device then they are not re-counted after selecting another playlist (including the same tracks).

4) Yes, it takes some time to scan and re-calculate everything, but 75 seconds for 20 GB collection seems really an unexpectedly long time, I'll check the performance of the calculator and let you know if I need further info

5) Thx, going to test this and let you know if I need further info...
EDIT: Tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18058
nanite2000

Re: Sync to USB Flash Drive Doesn't Work [#18016 #18038]

Post by nanite2000 »

Thanks Ludek.

Re (2) - There are no shared/common tracks between the playlists (although it behaves as though there are). If I import the same playlists into MediaMonkey 4 and try to sync them from there, the amount of space required by them is calculated correctly prior to sync.

So MediaMonkey 4 is working correctly for syncing, but MediaMonkey 5 is not.

Would it help if I provided a log of the 2 experiences from both versions?

EDIT: To add more details, below:

I have 2 playlists:
  • 'TEST Hip Hop' (403 files, 3.3 GB)
  • 'TEST House' (733 files, 8.1 GB)
The playlist 'TEST Hip Hop' has 14 tracks in common with 'TEST House'. I tested as follows:
  1. I selected them both to sync, and the total space required to sync was incorrectly calculated as 8.1 GB.
  2. I removed the common tracks from 'TEST Hip Hop', and then the total space required to sync both playlists was correctly calculated at around 11.3 GB.
  3. I then manually add the common tracks back into 'TEST Hip Hop', and the total space required to sync both playlists was still correctly calculated at 11.3 GB.
I'm so confused. 😡

These were static playlists created as identical copies of 2 auto playlists for testing purposes. If I try to sync the original auto playlists I get the space calculation error originally reported. If I create fresh copies of the auto playlists as static playlists, I also get the space calculation error reported above. But if I then follow the same steps as above to remove and re-add the common tracks, the issue resolves itself.

However, this workaround is no good for me since I actually want to sync the auto playlists.
Ludek

Re: Sync to USB Flash Drive Doesn't Work [#18016][#18038]

Post by Ludek »

Can you please share your MM5.DB with the 'TEST Hip Hop' (403 files, 3.3 GB) and 'TEST House' (733 files, 8.1 GB) exhibiting the issue to analyze ?
Send me private message with the link to the DB or attach to another eSupport ticket.

Thanks!

EDIT: Skip that! I have just replicated and I see where the problem lies, re-opened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 016#c63953
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Thanks Ludek - I'll test 5.0.1.2419 when it becomes available and let you know the results. 😎
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Hi Ludek!

I downloaded and tested MediaMonkey 5.0.1.2419 RC-4.

Apart from the issue with the flash drive showing as an iPod Shuffle (which we're looking at under ticket #1896), I'm pleased to report that it appears to have resolved the issues I raised. βœ”

Thanks so much! 😎
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

nanite2000 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:29 pmApart from the issue with the flash drive showing as an iPod Shuffle
Did you remove the Device Profile and have 2419 recreate it when connecting the device?