Missing titles in iTunes xml import [#18067]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

warsan

Missing titles in iTunes xml import [#18067]

Post by warsan »

I exported my music database with iTunes 12.11 as xml. After importing it into MediaMonkey, I noticed that only 35832 of the 46108 titles were transferred. I have looked at one missing track. This is contained in the xml. Its entire album has also been imported except for the tracks that have not yet been played. That is the only thing I could find as a cause. Missing titles can be imported manually and can be played.

How can I import all the titles per xml? As I want to keep my meta data like ratings which would be lost by just import the directories.
Ludek

Re: Missing titles in iTunes xml import

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
currently only rating/playcount/playlists are imported from the iTunes XML file as all the other metadata iTunes writes to file tag directly (that MM can read during scan).

This sounds like if the tracks have not been added to your MM5 library at all?
i.e. you probably did not select the tracks location in menu File > Add/Rescan , did you?
1) go to menu File > Add/Rescan ... > Add location... > Local storage...
and select the location where the iTunes files resides
2) click [Scan now]
=> the missing files should be added to your library
warsan

Post by warsan »

As I said. If I do it by scanning the music directory (which contains only the music files and not the iTunes DB), all the meta information that is not in the music files is lost. Some of it is only in the xml, like play count and ratings.

> This sounds like if the tracks have not been added to your MM5 library at all?

I don't understand that. The music files are imported with the xml and I can play them. They are in the MM5 list. But not the ones that don't have a play count in the xml file (for the ones that were never played in iTunes).

For me this is a bug.
Last edited by warsan on Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I am still confused what is the bug?

You indicated that that by scanning the files all the the meta information that is not in the music files is lost.
But AFAIK the only metadata not within the music files are: rating, last played, playcount, playlist -- and these are imported from the XML file.

So which metadata is missing for the files that have no play count ??
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check via the Entire Library > Location node (enable under Tools > Options > Collections & Views that the files really are missing in MediaMonkey by browsing to their folder in the Location node in the Media Tree: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 0#Location If they are missing try scanning (File > Add/Rescan Files) that specific folder to see if MediaMonkey then imports the missing file(s): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ibrary/5.0
warsan

Post by warsan »

The missing titles are not included if I use the node Entire Library > Location. Also, the number of titles is the same as in Music > all tracks.

And yes, importing by Add/Rescan files into the library works.

It seems that files with a rating but no track count are also imported. So no meta data seems to be lost if those missing files are added via Add/Rescan. But the playlists are then not complete. The missing files would have to be added again manually after after adding with Add/Rescan, which is not a nice job.

So its a bug in my view. Why are these files not imported if they are included in the xml file but have no play count and no rating (which is still a guess as a reason for not importing)? In the current state, you can't be sure that all the titles in the xml export will be imported too MediaMonkey.

What also surprises me is that some of my titles have a half-star rating. That was not possible in iTunes. Some titles have half a star more some half a star less. It seems to me that the ratings in the xml are responsible. There they are partly not comprehensible converted to values from 0-100. So there are titles without a star but have a rating value above 0. Is there a way to correct this?
Last edited by warsan on Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey imports files using Add/Rescan Files which according to you does work.
warsan

Post by warsan »

MediaMonkey import files using iTunes xml, too. Thats how I interpreded the function. Import by folders or by iTunes xml file.
Last edited by warsan on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

warsan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:00 pm MediaMonkey import files using iTunes xml, too. Thats how I interpreded the function. Import by folders or by iTunes xml file.
No, MM currently imports just rating/playcount/playlists from the iTunes XML file for files that are already part of MM5 library.
But revising the code now you seem to be true that there are some exceptions where files are imported also if the location (where they resides) was not pre-selected and they are imported just based scanning the iTunes XML file (e.g. files that are part of an iTunes playlist).

You seem to be true that UI implies that all files from the iTunes should be imported (regardless the location of individual files).
Tracking as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18067 (to be fixed)

Until then the workround is to select all locations where the iTunes files resides.