[REQ] MM5W Column Auto-resize completely broken [#18063 #18065 #17858]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

CosmicKnowledge

[REQ] MM5W Column Auto-resize completely broken [#18063 #18065 #17858]

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

MM 5.0.1.2418 Beta (Paid User)
Hi-DPI screen (3840x2160 native resolution).
Text Scaling (300% - Windows 10 recommended setting)
Windows 10

2 problems:
1)
If you right click on any tabular view of songs, then select "Automatic column widths", fields collapse to just a few pixels wide, being completely unusable. This function should auto-fit all visible columns into the existing window width.

2)
View settings are not retained from view to view every time. I mostly browse files to audit and merge into the existing music library.
Lowlander

Re: MM5W Column Auto-resize completely broken

Post by Lowlander »

Automatic Column Widths fits all columns within view (no horizontal scrolling), not fit the column width to the content in the column.
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:39 pm Automatic Column Widths fits all columns within view (no horizontal scrolling), not fit the column width to the content in the column.
Can you then please add:
a) Fit to visible screen.
b) Auto-resize column to fit content (respecting configurable minimum widths even if it overflows to horizontal scrolling).
c) Individual column auto-resize to content. When one of the far-right columns is totally collapsed, it cannot be re-expanded easily nor reliably by dragging the column separator. You either run out of screen space to drag in or you just can't drag/resize at all. MM4 let you do this by double-clicking on the column separator in the header row.
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:39 pm Automatic Column Widths fits all columns within view (no horizontal scrolling), not fit the column width to the content in the column.
Actually, it doesn't work after all. Check out this screenshot. When I selected [x] Automatic Column Widths, it didn't fit everything. It collapsed some things but kept other columns really wide. Also, right-click on table header brings up the menu shown in the screenshot but all the menu items are frozen... I clicking on them does nothing - frozen. For example, clicking on [x] Choose columns/Sort or trying to select [x] Automatic column widths does nothing. Arghhhhhhhhhh this web based GUI kills me.
EDIT: ALL the pull down menus are frozen... including the normal ones accessible from the topmost pull down menu texts.

New Bug 2: The columns can only be resized to the right only as far as the right-adjacent column. If the right-adjacent column is already collapsed to the smallest possible size (which [x] auto resize column does), then the left-adjacent column cannot be resized. Columns to the right do not automatically readjust their right border making it impossible to resize columns to the left. The only way to resize a crowded column is if the column adjacent to the right is already wide enough. Overall the GUI behavior is vastly inferior to MM4.

CosmicKnowledge

Can you put this into the master bug list?
monkeyfan1970

Re: [REQ] MM5W Column Auto-resize completely broken

Post by monkeyfan1970 »

I can also confirm the issues with Auto-resize too. It is definitely has several issues and not consistence. MM4 is still superior to MM5 currently.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

monkeyfan1970 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:07 am I can also confirm the issues with Auto-resize too. It is definitely has several issues and not consistence. MM4 is still superior to MM5 currently.
I don't see why MM4 is superior especially if it has no column auto-resize feature like MM5?

Once you enable the '[x] Automatic column widths' then all columns are adjusted so that scrollbar is not needed any longer.
You can then adjust the columns further (if they don't fit your screen like on the above screenshot of user CosmicKnowledge), just drag the columns separator in the columns header to make the column wider and this width ratio will persist. Also in the CosmicKnowledge's example above there is simply too many columns to fit the screen so he will need to also hide some columns (or simply don't use the "Automatic columns width" like in MM4).
I don't see any issue with this while testing it now (build 2418).

As for the frozen menus: I also can't replicate: Is this still an issue even with 2418 ?

EDIT: Note that the "Metro M" skin has currently this issue: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17858 -- that may incluence your testing. So workaround should be using another skin until #17858 is fixed.
CosmicKnowledge

Ludek wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:38 am
monkeyfan1970 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:07 am I can also confirm the issues with Auto-resize too. It is definitely has several issues and not consistence. MM4 is still superior to MM5 currently.
I don't see why MM4 is superior especially if it has no column auto-resize feature like MM5?

Once you enable the '[x] Automatic column widths' then all columns are adjusted so that scrollbar is not needed any longer.
You can then adjust the columns further (if they don't fit your screen like on the above screenshot of user CosmicKnowledge), just drag the columns separator in the columns header to make the column wider and this width ratio will persist. Also in the CosmicKnowledge's example above there is simply too many columns to fit the screen so he will need to also hide some columns (or simply don't use the "Automatic columns width" like in MM4).
I don't see any issue with this while testing it now (build 2418).

As for the frozen menus: I also can't replicate: Is this still an issue even with 2418 ?

EDIT: Note that the "Metro M" skin has currently this issue: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17858 -- that may incluence your testing. So workaround should be using another skin until #17858 is fixed.
It's superior because it's significantly faster in terms of raw draw performance and because tasks take less clicks/drags/keyboard inputs. The screen layout is more efficient as it simply takes less screen space so you can fit more data on the screen. Toolbars were more useful than having no toolbars. There's no horizontal scrollbar on the node tree left pane. Lasso select works in MM4 but not in MM5. Column layouts are not retained while browsing various points in the filesystem. If you're trying to tag and classify a large number of files, you either have to use MM4 or MusicBee because MM5 is so frustratingly slow and inefficient for such a task.

Did you see my screenshot above and see what I wrote? auto-resize does not work properly. Some columns are completely collapsed while others are bigger than they need to be.

So if you can't replicate it doesn't exist? I'm using Build 2418.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:07 am Did you see my screenshot above and see what I wrote? auto-resize does not work properly. Some columns are completely collapsed while others are bigger than they need to be.
Yes, they are collapsed because you have too many columns to fit the screen, but you can adjust the widths manually to make some columns wider and some smaller (i.e. resize the columns) and this width ratio will persist when you e.g. make the MM window wider. MM5 can hardly guess which column is important for you and which isn't (to guess which column is "bigger than need to be").
CosmicKnowledge

Ludek wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 am
CosmicKnowledge wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:07 am Did you see my screenshot above and see what I wrote? auto-resize does not work properly. Some columns are completely collapsed while others are bigger than they need to be.
Yes, they are collapsed because you have too many columns to fit the screen, but you can adjust the widths manually to make some columns wider and some smaller (i.e. resize the columns) and this width ratio will persist when you e.g. make the MM window wider. MM5 can hardly guess which column is important for you and which isn't (to guess which column is "bigger than need to be").
The problem is that I actually cannot resize the columns.... It sometimes collapses them to where you cannot resize them at all. Even if it can't guess column sizes from what I would want, it is clearly doing something to make some much bigger than others.

And, it needs to snapshot column widths because changing directories results in different column sizes, which destroys productivity.