MediaMonkey 5 version number [#18112]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

TIV73

MediaMonkey 5 version number [#18112]

Post by TIV73 »

Hi,
with 5.0.1 being close to release, I'm preparing to make the jump from 4 to 5 and noticed something related to how mediamonkey handles version numbers.
I wanted to make sure that the upgrade from 4 to 5 goes smoothly, so I staged my environment by installing version 4 in a virtual machine, copied over my library, upgraded it to 5 and verified that everything is still working as expected.

After that I wanted to also try a minor upgrade, so I downloaded 5.0.1-rc5 and did an in-place upgrade. After a restart (as good-luck charm), I checked mediamonkey again and... nothing changed. The same version was still installed. At first I thought that I just accidently installed the same version twice since I placed both installers right next to each other on the desktop, so I installed 5.0.1 again, this time double checking that I'm using the correct version.

But the result was the same, and after opening mediamonkey and checking the about dialog I saw that I indeed updated to 5.0.1.2420, the change just wasn't reflected in the installation registry.

Now, I don't want to call this a bug, because I'm pretty sure it isn't, but rather a feature request to consider providing the full version including minor version, patch level, and revision (or at least just the minor version and patch level) when installing mediamonkey 5.
TIV73

Re: MediaMonkey 5 version number

Post by TIV73 »

After reading my initial post, I noticed that I only provided information about the installation workflow I used, but almost nothing about my use case in general, which could make it hard to understand why I'm even requesting this feature.

I realize that mediamonkey 5 comes with a built-in update mechanism that prompts users to upgrade if a new version becomes availabe, which works perfectly fine for a lot of use cases, but doesn't scale very well.
Between work, hobbies and gaming, I have installed several dozen individual applications, usually multiple times on several different operating systems, computers and virtual machines. Trying to keep all installations up to date manually would take considerable time and effort, that's why I rely on package manager like solutions in windows, like chocolatey or winget, that enumerate the version of installed applications, check if updates are available, and automatically upgrade them.

With mediamonkey, that approach is impossible, or at least not feasible, since I don't actually know what version is currently installed, hence my request to provide windows with the full string of whatever version of mediamonkey is currently installed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Help > About shows the full version number including build. The latest build shows as 5.0.1.2420.
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

Yes, I understand that. That's what I tried to address in my second post. It's not about being able to manually determine what version of mediamonkey is currently installed - which is perfectly doable, but rather about being able to avoid having to do so by providing well formatted information about the installation to the system environment, allowing automation mechanisms to leverage this information.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
TIV73 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:21 am With mediamonkey, that approach is impossible, or at least not feasible, since I don't actually know what version is currently installed, hence my request to provide windows with the full string of whatever version of mediamonkey is currently installed.
MediaMonkey.EXE details always contain Version info that can be easily extracted without MM starting.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I also don't understand where the MM5 version isn't updated?
You indicated that Help > About is file, right-click MediaMonkey.exe > Properties > Details is also fine?
Can you elaborate which value was not updated for you ?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:33 am I also don't understand where the MM5 version isn't updated?
You indicated that Help > About is file, right-click MediaMonkey.exe > Properties > Details is also fine?
Can you elaborate which value was not updated for you ?
He is probably talking about the Windows Registry.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
TIV73

Post by TIV73 »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:24 am He is probably talking about the Windows Registry.
I am, thanks!

I case I didn't outline well enough what I meant by 'Installation registry', I was referring to the list of installed applications, called Apps & Features in windows 10:

That information is stored in the windows registry. It varies a bit depending on your OS version and edition, but if installed on a 64bit windows, you should find the entry for mediamonkey 5 at HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MediaMonkey 5_is1, in the property called DisplayVersion. I was hoping to see the full version there.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, I see now, entered as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18112

But if you want to detect the version number programatically then detecting it from Windows Registry isn't a good way to do so as it won't work for Portable version. So detecting it directly from MediaMonkey.exe might be better, but for scripting purposes there is already
app.utils.getApplicationVersion(levels: integer);

So use e.g.

Code: Select all

console.log( app.utils.getApplicationVersion(3)));
I just see that this function isn't documented, I'll update.
TIV73

Re: MediaMonkey 5 version number [#18112]

Post by TIV73 »

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!