[BUG]: Database reorganization resets filters in playlists [#15798]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

[BUG]: Database reorganization resets filters in playlists [#15798]

Post by Andre_H »

Hi there,

want to report a problem with MMW 5.0.1.42422:

Whenever i perform an (full, haven't testet the other options) database maintenance/reorg, that will reset/empty filters in all playlists with filter "selected from catalogue fields". Example: If i have a playlist, that get an Album via "contains [XY]", that playlist is fine after database reorg.

But if an playlist is set per "Album = [pick up one Album from the list of albums]", that filter is empty after database reorg. Same with Genre. Repeatable, always affects ALL playlists with this type of filter. Existet in older versions too, i just have a growing amount of playlists and this gets increasingly annoying.

Can you check this out, please?
Thanks!
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Barry4679

Re: [BUG]: Database reorganization resets filters in playlists

Post by Barry4679 »

LowLander
Last edited by Barry4679 on Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Re: [BUG]: Database reorganization resets filters in playlists [#18146]

Post by Barry4679 »

Andre_H wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:00 am Whenever i perform an (full, haven't testet the other options) database maintenance/reorg, that will reset/empty filters in all playlists with filter "selected from catalogue fields". Example: If i have a playlist, that get an Album via "contains [XY]", that playlist is fine after database reorg.
Hi Andre,

what is the actual name of the db maintenance feature that you used. are you asking about:
  • are you asking about Rebuild full-text search index option?
  • or the Rebuild Database option?
The later deletes a lot of database tables, and then rebuilds them from the ground up, using data from the Songs table in the database. The intent is to repair database damage. It should not be used just to optimise or housekeep a database.

The Online Help does say that no data is lost, so some work needs to be done about your observation. Can you clarify which option that you are asking about please?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Hi, i did "Rebuild index" and "optimize Database (full"), the frist and third option in the dialog.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
'rebuild database (full)' is no longer an option in MM5 (it used to be in MM4)

MM5 has 'Rebuild database' instead (the third option)

Your issue sounds like https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15798 that has been already fixed two years ago.

I've just tried to replicate and I am unable:
Created auto-playlist with criteria 'album equals ...' and the auto-playlist persists just fine after rebuilding the database
So the fix of #15798 is still valid based on my tests.

please open eSupport ticket and attach there a link to your MM5.DB and note the auto-playlist in question that exhibits the issue so that we could replicate.

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, I think I found it.

The original fix from 2184 works for auto-playlists created in MM5, but fails for auto-playlists created in MM4 !!

i.e.
1) create auto-playlist with criteria "album equals ..." in MM4
2) import this database to MM5
3) go to Manage database > [x] Rebuild database
=> the auto-playlist is empty after rebuild!

Thanks for reporting, re-opened the issue with 5.0.1 target!
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15798
Andre_H

Re: [BUG]: Database reorganization resets filters in playlists [#15798]

Post by Andre_H »

Hi Ludek,
Ludek wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:31 am Hi,
'rebuild database (full)' is no longer an option in MM5 (it used to be in MM4)
sorry, i may have mis-translated something: in german, it's the "Index für Volltextsuche neu aufbauen" (option 1) and "Datenbank optimieren (komplett)" (option 3) in the GUI, that's what i meant and did.
Ludek wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:31 am create auto-playlist with criteria "album equals ..." in MM4
then there has to be another bug; i never used MMW4, started with MMW5 from scratch. So there is no import from MMW4. i did an import from iTunes XML, if that matters, but these playlists don't come from itunes, they are new. pretty sure, that even new playlists are affected.

i can replicate the problem with my "main installation". i try to replicate with a few tracks, a few playlists (then they are definitly new and done by MMW5) and a portable installation these days, otherwise i have to repair 25+ playlists after ... again! :wink:

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:51 am OK, I think I found it.
The original fix from 2184 works for auto-playlists created in MM5, but fails for auto-playlists created in MM4 !!
Ludek, I can replicate the problem in 2424 without involving MM4:
  • clean install MM5 .. portable ... no import from MM4
  • add some tracks
  • create an auto-play list filtering to album=something
  • File|ManageDatabase ... both options 1 & 3 checked
  • the above process is (sometimes) destruction to the playlist filter
  • the filter criteria is still present, but the playlist is empty ... even after F5 refresh
  • the filter setting is fragile. see here
    • it click the pencil to view the criteria
    • the criteria looks correct
    • I click the up arrow icon to close the editor
    • I reopen the editor and the criteria value setting is empty
I PM'd you a debug log showing:
  • population of the filter
  • db rebuild
  • reopen playlist ... found to be empty
Andre_H wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:49 pm then there has to be another bug
Hi Andre, read this post again. Why are you taking option #3? What are you trying to achieve?
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:14 am Hi Andre, read this post again. Why are you taking option #3? What are you trying to achieve?
Hi Barry

I read your post. Background: I deleted a few thousand records from the "Covers" table using the SQL addin, and then carried out the rebuild. I work a lot with MS Access, after such major data operations, I regularly do "rebuilds" there, probably more out of habit i did it here too. (it reduced the size of the database by nearly 20%.)

If the rebuild (or what ever we name it) actually deletes data (assignments) here, there should at least be a clear indication in my opinion.

But, to emphasize that again: i'm still relaxed, nothing has been lost that could not have been restored.

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Andre_H wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:11 am I read your post. Background: I deleted a few thousand records from the "Covers" table using the SQL addin, and then carried out the rebuild. I work a lot with MS Access, after such major data operations, I regularly do "rebuilds" there, probably more out of habit i did it here too. (it reduced the size of the database by nearly 20%.)
OK. You would have reclaimed the disk space via the 2nd option in that menu; titled "Optimise" in the English edition.
But the "rebuild" was probably a good idea after your SQL housekeeping.
Andre_H wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:11 am If the rebuild (or what ever we name it) actually deletes data (assignments) here, there should at least be a clear indication in my opinion.
Yes it should, but I think that the data loss is a bug. They are looking at it.
Andre_H wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:11 am But, to emphasize that again: i'm still relaxed, nothing has been lost that could not have been restored.
:D
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Hi guys,

Problem still exists with RC-8, I just tested the identical sequence (same options) again with 5.0.1.2427 RC-8: ALL filters that referred to a selected album or genre are empty after the reorg. I restored a backup, all fine.

Leave a note, if i can provide further infos. Never used a debug-build, but i will, if there's some "how to" for it, i guess simply screenshots of the empty filters doesn't help that much?

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Andre_H wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:13 am Problem still exists with RC-8, I just tested the identical sequence (same options) again with 5.0.1.2427 RC-8: ALL filters that referred to a selected album or genre are empty after the reorg. I restored a backup, all fine.
I could replicate the problem with the previous release, but not with 2427.
Andre_H wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:13 am Leave a note, if i can provide further infos. Never used a debug-build, but i will, if there's some "how to" for it, i guess simply screenshots of the empty filters doesn't help that much?
Instructions are point 4b from here

You will get least amount of disruption if you install the debug version as a Portable installation ... ie. all, including database, in a self contained folder, which you can easily delete when you are done with it.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Andre_H wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:13 am Hi guys,

Problem still exists with RC-8, I just tested the identical sequence (same options) again with 5.0.1.2427 RC-8: ALL filters that referred to a selected album or genre are empty after the reorg. I restored a backup, all fine.

Leave a note, if i can provide further infos. Never used a debug-build, but i will, if there's some "how to" for it, i guess simply screenshots of the empty filters doesn't help that much?
Hi, please compress (ZIP, RAR) your database (MM5.DB file) and attach the file to a Support Ticket. If the file is too large ( > 2MB) then upload the file to a free file hosting service (DropBox, RapidShare, FileDropper, MediaFire, ...) and share just the link to the file. Also write there which auto-playlists are reset after the rebuilt, this will help me to replicate the problem directly on your database MM5.DB.

Thanks!
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

it's out as "Ticket #2230", i attached a "before" and "after" copy of the database as well as a few screenshots.

Thanks for the support!