Information about current operations.

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

teodore

Information about current operations.

Post by teodore »

This message refers to large and time-consuming operations, such as adding files to the entire database, or compressing the database by tens of thousands of titles.

After the file additions indication at the bottom disappears, there is no more information about what is going on.
As for the little spinning wheel, no label appears when the mouse pointer is hovered over it to indicate the current operation or the percentage completed.
The processor that uses 10 to 15% of the resources becomes the only reference, and this for several tens of minutes.
We could have the impression that the machine is running in a vacuum and only the attempt to close it indicates that there is really an operation in progress but it is not named and its completion unknown.
Finally, at the end of the long operation, a window shows the number of files imported, updated and the number of files whose import failed. Phew!

Good luck and have a nice summer or winter depending on your hemisphere.

Mediamonkey 5.0.1.2424
Windows 10 - 8 Go Ram
Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4Ghz

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Windows 10 i7 8 Go - topping d30 - sansui au-222
Lyrics : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 0&p=448074
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Information about current operations.

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Teodore,

I agree with your observation. I have often wondered - during synchronisation - whether the program has stopped!

One approach is to install both the "Normal" and "Debug" version. You can then run the debug version and get an indication of what is going on by running DebugView v4.90:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... /debugview
with
https://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/MediaMon ... _Debug.exe

This may also give some pointers to "problems" with your storage / setup / network i.e. not specifically Media Monkey issues.

Hope this suggestion helps.
Ian Taylor
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

teodore wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:49 am This message refers to large and time-consuming operations, such as adding files to the entire database, or compressing the database by tens of thousands of titles.

After the file additions indication at the bottom disappears, there is no more information about what is going on.
As for the little spinning wheel, no label appears when the mouse pointer is hovered over it to indicate the current operation or the percentage completed.
The processor that uses 10 to 15% of the resources becomes the only reference, and this for several tens of minutes.
We could have the impression that the machine is running in a vacuum and only the attempt to close it indicates that there is really an operation in progress but it is not named and its completion unknown.
Finally, at the end of the long operation, a window shows the number of files imported, updated and the number of files whose import failed. Phew!
Hi Theodore,

I see progress displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the windows, and in the spinning wheels mouse hover tooltip, as you indicated.

The next step is to import playlists. That step is slow. It was so slow that I deleted all my playlists while beta testing MM5, because I was importing often. ... As a one off thing it is OK I think, if you have static playlists that are important to you.

I see the panel with the counts of tracks imported immediately after the tracks have been indexed, but that may be because I have no playlists.

The next part is the background process that imports artist and album art. It is defaulted to on, but it is optional.
This can go on for a long time following the load up of a large new library.
You don't have to wait for this to complete. It is interruptible.
You turn this feature off here.

And things get a lot longer if you change the default, and turn this feature on. I would not do that. It takes a long time, and makes you approve every album one at a time ... I think ... I did it once, but never again
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you can reproduce the empty progress popup, please capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:10 am If you can reproduce the empty progress popup, please capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Is probably empty because there is nothing to show on the status bar.
I used to see this often when loading new tracks ... after the dbox which show import counts.
Now I see that MM5 is using cpu resources during this phase, but no spinning wheel.
Maybe this is because I now have cached all album and artist art for tracks for which I have no local art.
Where is Internet-acquired art cached for a portable install for MM5? I would like to clear it for a test.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.