Dragging files from folder into MM5 deletes my whole Windows Desktop [#18163 #18164]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Dragging files from folder into MM5 deletes my whole Windows Desktop [#18163 #18164]

Post by tbm72 »

My desktop in Win 10 is always completely empty (apart from occasional files which I store there temporarily). Whenever I add new music to MM5 I always do it by dragging from a folder that I place on my Desktop into MM5. Because I use Auto-organize in MM5 it always deletes that folder from the Desktop and moves the files to my music folder (as expected).

But since the last MM5 update (5.0.1.2427 portable) after I've dragged the files from my desktop folder into MM5, my actual Desktop now gets deleted as well! If I then try and click on the Desktop shortcut in Windows Explorer (i.e. "C:\Users\Myname\Desktop") or any other place within Windows it's just no longer there. When I look in the recycle bin I can see my Desktop folder has been moved in there so I have to restore it from the Recycle Bin, at which point I can use it again.

This is the way that I've always added music to MM (i.e dragging files from a folder on my desktop into MM) and the original folder on the desktop gets deleted but it's never deleted my actual Windows Desktop before! Any suggestions as to what's going on here?
Ludek

Re: Dragging files from folder into MM5 deletes my whole Windows Desktop

Post by Ludek »

Hi, how exatly you are moving the files? Can you please describe step by step ? Is it the auto-organize feature or drag&drop action removing the Desktop folder?

I am not aware of any change in this area in the last build, but sounds to me that the "Delete emptied folders" feature of the auto-organize might be the cause: https://www.dropbox.com/s/478v7mfojc8kt ... 3.png?dl=0
Can you confirm that unchecking this checkbox does the trick?
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

So this is how I have always done it:

1) Create folder on desktop, e.g. "New Album" that contains (for example) a track called 01.mp3
2) In Win Explorer I drag the track 01.mp3 from that folder into MM5
3) The track 01.mp3 gets automatically moved by MM5 from the Desktop/New Album folder into my music folder (as defined in MM5) and the 'New Album' folder would get automatically deleted from the desktop by MM5.

But now what happens is that as well as the above steps, my actual Windows Desktop folder (C:\Users\Myname\Desktop) gets deleted and I can't access my Desktop anymore within Windows. I have to go to my Recycle Bin and restore it to Windows.

If I untick 'Delete emptied folders' as you suggest then that does seem to be a workaround and the Desktop doesn't get deleted. I guess I can just manually remove the empty folder from my Desktop but I've never had to do this before. Don't know if this would have any other side effects, like I could end up with empty folders left behind during auto-organizing? Just seems strange that it's only started doing this since the most recent update.

Also, the checkbox for 'Delete emptied folders' is always greyed out and unclickable unless I first untick and then tick 'Automatically organize files (during scans or edits)':

Is that how it should be?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Although I haven't tested this yet -- I don't think that this problem is new in most recent update.
You probably just did not have your Desktop totally clean in your previous tests? e.g. 'Recycle Bin' folder was there ?

Nevertheless tracking this problem as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18163 (to be fixed for 5.0.2)

As for the checkbox state issue: I can confirm, to be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18164
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks for following it up. It's possible there could have been something on my desktop previously although it's usually empty of everything (I don't even keep the Recycle bin on it) so it might not have been the latest update that caused it. But even so I'd suggest that deleting the empty folder that's left on the desktop shouldn't really delete the parent folder ('Desktop').
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Sure, as I wrote this is tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18163 (to be fixed for 5.0.2)