Left panel contents

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

astro46

Left panel contents

Post by astro46 »

Is there a way to show particular folders in left panel. currently I see headings for music, classical music, playing, etc, and folders shows every drive on the system.

Can I filter what is shown in the left panel list?

or, is there a way to show only genres, and then album artists in expandable list for each genre?

if there is a way to change the layout of the left panel, I can't find it.
Lowlander

Re: Left panel contents

Post by Lowlander »

You can choose what's shown: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 0#Settings

However you can't just show Genres as a root node, it can only be shown as a Collection sub-node. You can customize which nodes a Collection shows though.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

astro46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 pm or, is there a way to show only genres, and then album artists in expandable list for each genre?
You can get close to this in the left panel if you use the hamburger menu at the top of the left panel, and toggle on Show All Sub-nodes .. #1: you can then drill down to Genre for expandable lists

#2: Also you as you can see in the Main Panel in that illustration, with View set to Grid "(Genres)", you will get a tile for each Artist, and can drill down into any tile to see the Artist's album, tracks etc
astro46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 pm if there is a way to change the layout of the left panel, I can't find it.
All you can do is:
  • hide the sub-nodes (default option setting)
  • hide specific, or empty, collections via the Collection Editor (Gold feature I think)
  • or drag some other panels in there (via View|Layout menu
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:25 pm You can choose what's shown: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... 0#Settings

However you can't just show Genres as a root node, it can only be shown as a Collection sub-node. You can customize which nodes a Collection shows though.
at one place is says "Displays any folders on the hard disk containing Files that are in the library. ".

would be nice if it did only this. In fact it shows every drive and folder, physically or virtually listed in computer file manager. most of which do Not contain Files that are in the library. Even though only a couple of folders have been selected to scan, MM displays like it is the computer file manager.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Barry4679 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:50 pm
You can get close to this in the left panel if you use the hamburger menu at the top of the left panel, and toggle on Show All Sub-nodes .. #1: you can then drill down to Genre for expandable lists
i am not finding that showing or not showing sub-nodes makes any difference in what is displayed. In fact, i am finding little control over what is displayed. seems to be me either everything or nothing. don't see a way to display only genres in left panel
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

astro46 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:41 am would be nice if it did only this. In fact it shows every drive and folder, physically or virtually listed in computer file manager. most of which do Not contain Files that are in the library. Even though only a couple of folders have been selected to scan, MM displays like it is the computer file manager.
Yes, if you see contents under Folders node than you see files like in a file manager.

To see only the library files you need to see library location node, i.e.
Entire Library > Location > .... in the left panel.

You can also configure to have only 'Entire Library' enabled with only e.g. Genres and Location subnodes.
Go to Options > Library > Collections & Views
and configure what you want to be shown.
Then double-click the 'Entire Library' node to configure its subnodes visibility (e.g. to enable just Genres and Location subnodes)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lo7hywtsen3p ... 3.png?dl=0
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

astro46 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:48 am
Barry4679 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:50 pm
i am not finding that showing or not showing sub-nodes makes any difference in what is displayed. In fact, i am finding little control over what is displayed. seems to be me either everything or nothing. don't see a way to display only genres in left panel
Sorry, I confused you. My answer was not very clear.

By saying you could get close, I was meaning that it answered the part of your query that I have bolded below.
astro46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 pm or, is there a way to show only genres, and then album artists in expandable list for each genre?
See here;
  1. Without the Show Sub-Nodes options being turned, the Genre node. in the left hand panel, is just a heading.
  2. When it is toggled on, the node can be opened, to show the list you were looking for

There is no way to show only Genres in the left handle panel

You can hide the left panel and navigate just using the Main panel, like this, without distraction:
  • hide the left panel using the thing under the file menu
  • use the bread crumb menu to navigate the the Genre sub-node
  • click on the tile for a Genre, and then again to open one of the albums
  • go back up via the Esc key, or clicking the tile again
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

thanks. these instructions have given me the options I need.