Problems with MM5 for Windows 10

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

garydwalter

Problems with MM5 for Windows 10

Post by garydwalter »

I was excited when I first started the newest release but my excitement quickly vanished and I returned to using 4.1.31.1919. The latest version has way too many bugs for me to continue using. Here are just a few that I have discovered so far.

1. Trying to remove songs from a playlist often only gives the option to remove from the database or database & computer. It no longer gives the option to remove from the playlist only. This is not true in every instance.

2. Using the word "database" is technically correct, but we've seen the word "Library" for years. Why change?

3. Searching for duplicates now delivers all duplicate titles regardless of artist. I would rather see an option to search for duplicate titles only and another for exact duplicates. Showing all duplicates can make it difficult to weed out the exact duplicates which is what I want to do in the first place.

4. Drag and drop is far more sensitive than in previous versions. I found myself dropping songs in places where I did not want them only because an entire tree structure would open in the left window just by scrolling over the parent folder even without clicking on the plus to open it. This is only true when you are dragging, not at other times. Sub folders should only become visible when clicking on the + to the left of the parent folder.

5. Deleting a large number of songs from the library/database is now extremely slow. In the previous version, I could empty the entire library in a very short time.

On a positive note, there were serval new features I noticed that I really love.

1. The higher contrast with some of the skins is fantastic. It's really nice when viewing MM in a bright light area (outdoors). The vertical scroll bar selector was hard to see in all previous versions. There is very little difference in the color of the selector bar and the scroll channel behind the selector. It would be very nice to have the selector be a much darker color than the slide channel. Those of us who are visually impaired need a darker or large shape. Yes, I've set my computer up for visually impaired, but this is still a problem.

2. I selected the "material design" skin which is white and blue. The play progress bar shows up in red. It's fantastic.

3. The installation of the new release did not overwrite the previous version of 4. This proved to be very beneficial since I had to resort back to using 4. I have not uninstalled 5, hoping these problems will be resolved.

If I'm the only one that sees these as problems, I guess I'll just stay with 4. I've been a Media Monkey Gold Lifetime user for many years. Your product is, in my humble opinion, better than any high dollar DJ software on the market. I don't need the ability to "beat match", don't need two player panes, or any of the other features offered by the elaborate software packages. You already have crossfade, volume leveling, auto DJ, recently played, easy adding to or removing from playlists and many other features that I've never discovered. Media Monkey is the best.
Lowlander

Re: Problems with MM5 for Windows 10

Post by Lowlander »

1&5) Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey 5?

2) If you're referring to File > Manage database, it works on the database file, thus it's referred to as database. File > Add/Rescan files to the library refers to it as library as deals with your media files.

3) Duplicates often come from messy Libraries, where Artists may not have exactly the same value, despite being the exact same file. You could try sorting Title > Artist to make the result a little more helpful.

4) This would be in-line with File Explorer where Drag & Drop also opens sub-folders.
garydwalter

Post by garydwalter »

Thanks for your response.

1&5) Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey 5? - 5.0.1.2433

2) If you're referring to File > Manage database, it works on the database file, thus it's referred to as database. File > Add/Rescan files to the library refers to it as library as deals with your media files.

When I select songs in a playlist to remove, I get the message "remove from playlist and database" or "remove from playlist, database and drive". Older versions used the word "library instead of database". I fully understand in this case the reference is the same. I was just asking why. Sometimes when I try to remove from a playlist only, I am not getting the option to "remove from playlist only". I just checked this again and I am now seeing this option, not sure why I did not previously.

3) Duplicates often come from messy Libraries, where Artists may not have exactly the same value, despite being the exact same file. You could try sorting Title > Artist to make the result a little more helpful.

My only point is that searching on duplicates is now delivering every song with the same title regardless of the artist. In my previous version, searching for duplicates only gave duplicate files.

4) This would be in-line with File Explorer where Drag & Drop also opens sub-folders.

Maybe so, but my release 4 version did not work this way.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1&2) Database is a little clearer as Library is often also used for the files on the drive (Windows Libraries). If you can reproduce the dialog not working as expected, please capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
3) Unlike MM4 in MM5 you have 3 Duplicate searches, "Duplicate Title/Artist" same as in MM4 "Duplicate Titles", "Duplicate content" as same as in MM4 and "Duplicate Titles" that Lowlander refer to that watch Titles only which was often requested by users where they complained that MM failed to show all duplicates.

4) That was another user complain where they could not D&D to subfolder but you would need previously expand Tree and prepare destination folder using + prior to D&D, so it was requested change. Especially on touch enabled screens like Surface Pro.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
davidb

Post by davidb »

I have MM4 as a Portable installation on SSD. I opened after a very long time and it prompted for upgrade to MM5, which I did, as a Portable installation beside my MM4. It was a fail. Ultimately, I ended up removing it. But here are issues and needed refinements I found. This is all for a Portable installation, Windows10 - Home.

1. When installing, under Browse to select folder, there's no guidance as to whether the old MediaMonkey folder should be selected, or the Directory containing the old MediaMonkey folder, if I wanted to retain MM4. BTW, it should be the latter, so as to keep the two installations pure.
2. The MM4 database, MM.DB, was not visible to MM5, so I copied mm.db from MediaMonkey4, and pasted it into the Portable Folder as mm.db, as Wiki-Instructs, and renamed the mm.db5 file to mm.db5.bak.
3. I opened MM5 and it pulled the music list in. Yet when I went to play (anything), it went into a super-rapid scroll through the database, returning error message boxes with each song title, saying it wasn't playable, hen auto-scrolled to the next.

4. At some point, I gave up trying to work it out and decided to start over. But I could not find an Uninstall program, nor simply delete the files or folder. When the Delete command hit any executable (*.exe), it returned an error asking for Administrator privilege, even when I ran File Explorer under "Run as Administrator."
5. I tried overwriting the installation with a new installation. But it failed when the new install installation hit any .exe file. It tried to rename th e.exe files rather than delete or overwrite them, and couldn't, for the same "Administrator" privilege problem.
6. Under Windows10 - Home, no "Security" tab exists to claim the Administrator permission. Also, I couldn't claim ownership.
7. To resolve, I had to go Command prompt and enable the Administrator Account through, "net user administrator /active:yes". This gave me the capability finally, to remove the entire MM5 installation. Then to close the security vulnerability this Command Prompt action might have created, I returned the system to back to its default of, "net user administrator /active:no".

I don't know what happened on my MM5 installation, but at minimum, I didn't see the instruction, support and guidance necessary for me to trust MM5 is ready for prime time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Browse to scan for media files or for the database file?

2) Portable Installs don't register with Windows, thus MediaMonkey 5 is not aware MediaMonkey 4 Portable exists. This is a design feature of Portable Installs.

3) See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... s-to-play/ Does MediaMonkey 4 still play the files? It would be odd that it still works when MediaMonkey 5 doesn't.

4) Portable Installs don't have an uninstall option. They just need to be deleted. As they don't register anything in Windows there is no need to uninstall a Portable Install.

5) The system may have had a lock on the file. A PC restart should resolve this. Related: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... or-code-5/

6) Do you mean in the Properties window of the MediaMonkey.exe file in File Explorer? Mine does have a Security tab, however see 5.

7) See 5