How to downgrade back to MM 4.x

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

M1sterSp0ck

How to downgrade back to MM 4.x

Post by M1sterSp0ck »

While I like the look of V5, there are way too many features missing for it to be viable. For example, the following addons:

- Discogs AutoTag Web
- Import M3U
- MagicNodes
- Randomise Playlist
- Song Information Panel
- Recreate M3U

Until these addons are available for v5 or the functionality of each is included as a feature, I'd like to stick with 4.x. Can I downgrade back to 4.x without losing my settings? Do I just uninstall 5 and reinstall the most recent 4.x? Please let me know. Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: How to downgrade back to MM 4.x

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 is still installed if you didn't uninstall it and can be used alongside the MediaMonkey 5 install. You can uninstall MediaMonkey 5 without losing settings in MediaMonkey 4 as they're independent installations.
M1sterSp0ck

Post by M1sterSp0ck »

Thanks! I didn't realize MM 4.x was still installed. Looking forward to seeing V5 develop.
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Thank you Lowlander. I have installed mm5 but have been afraid to use it. Now, since I purchased the new iPhone 13 I have no choice but to convert all of my mm4 gold files to mm5. My issue is to convert all of my playlists (not autoplaylists). Great to know I still have mm4 if mm5 goes south on me.
Lenovo Laptop:
12th Gen i5 Intel processor
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

* Primary Apps: MediaMonkey 5 (not GOLD yet).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't need to convert Playlists, you can have MM5 upgrade (creates a copy) the MM4 database and then all your media files and Playlists will be there: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... r-windows/
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Btw. I click on the link and there is nothing there. So I installed mm5 but have done nothing. Are you saying all I need to do is add/rescan my mm4 music library (in my case it is a 500 gig external hard drive) and it will not only inventory my music but my 35 playlists as well? Also, can’t find the mm.db. I suppose that is for the portable version only.

I put a lot of time into these playlists so I don’t want to lose them. Do i need to uninstall and reinstall mm5?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, you need to use the MediaMonkey 4 database. From the link:
When you install MediaMonkey 5, it will by default, install MediaMonkey 5 to a different directory than MediaMonkey 4 (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey 5 vs C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey ). It’s a good idea to install it to a different directory since it is quite different from MediaMonkey 4 and you may still want to use MediaMonkey 4 e.g. for CD Burning.

If upgrading from a regular installation of MediaMonkey 4, MediaMonkey 5 will import your database and most settings. But if upgrading from a Portable installation of MediaMonkey 4, MediaMonkey 5 will only import your settings if you:

Install MediaMonkey 5 in Portable mode to the same directory as your MediaMonkey 4 Portable installation.

OR
Manually copy the MediaMonkey 4 portable database and settings from:

<MediaMonkey 4 Portable Install Folder>\Portable\

to:

<MediaMonkey 5 Portable Install Folder>\Portable\

and, if it exists in the MediaMonkey 5 Portable install folder, rename:

MM5.DB to MM5.DB.BAK
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Sorry to be thick……I have installed mm5 with no music as of yet. Do I just rescan the mm4 music library and it will pick up my playlists?
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

When you open MM5 for the 1st time it will offer to import database and settings from MM4.
You should accept this offer. It will do everything for you.

If your MM4 was a standard installation you get the import offer, and it happens auto-magically.
If your MM4 was a "portable" installation you need to do the steps quoted in LowLanders last response.

It will probably be easiest for you if you uninstall MM5 and start again.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Thanks Barry. I will do that
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

When you open MM5 for the 1st time it will offer to import database and settings from MM4.
You should accept this offer. It will do everything for you.

Didn’t get this option when I launched mm5. Suggestions?
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As explained above, copy the MediaMonkey 4 (mm.db) to the MediaMonkey 5 database location and rename the existing MediaMonkey 5 database (mm5.db) to mm5.db.bak. Then start MediaMonkey 5.

Database locations: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Thank you lowlander. I had to enable hidden files then I was able to find MM.db. I moved it to the mediamonkey5 directory and did get the message to use mm4 settings. I think it is configuring now. More to come………
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

I did find the hidden files, backed them up and copied the mm.db to the appdata mediamonkey library and renamed it to mm5.db. I launched mm5, got the prompt to use mm 4 information, clicked ‘yes’ but nothing happens. MM5 launches but has no music not to mention playlists.

I checked the ini file and it is pointing to my external G:music database which is the same location in mm4. Since I didn’t change the location of the database, I did not add DBname=G:\databases\music.db to the mm5 ini file. Is this where I went wrong? Should I add that line of code to the ini file. Does it matter where in the ini file?

Thanks.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you want to use an alternative location for the DB you do need to add it to the ini: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/

You can also copy the MediaMonkey 4 database to the MediaMonkey 5 database location (and rename the existing mm5.db to mm5.db.bak).

MediaMonkey 5 uses a different database name with mm5.db.