Poor Audio on Video files (MP4) [#18304 #18309 #18561]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Roxie2401

Poor Audio on Video files (MP4) [#18304 #18309 #18561]

Post by Roxie2401 »

Is there any current work being done to improve the audio playback on video files?

On a typical YouTube video with MP4 file extension, when I play it with the standard Windows Media player or VLC Media Player the volume is fine (full level). But when I play that same file in MediaMonkey 5, the volume is about only 30% as loud as the other players.

I know that the current "Audio Output" plug-ins are only for "Music" audio files and have no affect on the Video audio.

I think I have read that this is an on-going issue with MediaMonkey and was wondering if there is any update on the problem?

Or, has someone come up with a solution (plug-in, etc.) that will get the video "audio" volume up to a usable level?

(Or should I open a Support Ticket on this?)

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Poor Audio on Video files (MP4)

Post by Lowlander »

Are you playing an MP4 file on your PC (eg. downloaded from YouTube) or YouTube directly in MediaMonkey?

Do you have Play > Level playback volume enabled in the Main Menu? Is the MediaMonkey Volume set at 100%?
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Yes, the MP4 file has been downloaded from YouTube and is stored on the computer.

Yes, Level Playback Volume is enabled and MediaMonkey is set at 100% output level.

However, if I switch to a Music file (MP3 or M4A) it is so loud it would destroy the speakers ---- definitely a huge difference between an audio file and a video file (audio).
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Just a quick follow-up. Did a similar comparison with VLC Media Player, etc. and the audio level does not vary between an MP3 audio file and a video file (MP4).

That is, I don't have to raise or lower the output volume between video and music files.

I love MediaMonkey and how flexible it is and would like to use a single media player for both types of files but currently there is a really big difference between audio and video output sound levels.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How about when Play > Level Playback Volume is disabled? Do you still see the huge variance between MP3 and MP4?
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Hi --- that helped! Still a difference but not as much.

I see old threads on this issue, switching between a video and a music file. Maybe there has been some work on the issue.

It does look like the Audio plug-ins have no affect on Video audio. Maybe there will be plug-in development in the future.

Thanks for the quick responses today!

Off topic question --- when switching between Album "Grid" view to the Video "Grid" view --- my albums display in alphabetical order but the Video Grid display is not. Only if I cycle through Grid, List, Series and back to Grid are the videos alphabetical.

Is there a command to resort the Video Grid? I also notice that if I close MM and reopen the Video grid, its back to not being alphabetical. What am I missing?

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Video has the MediaMonkey Video Player under Tools > Options > Codec / Input (plug-ins). However no volume control is there.

It may simply be a case of the video having a low volume. It's something I noticed on YouTube, where I often have to change volume between videos as they aren't normalized.
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Maybe you missed this added question. How can I sort the Grid display of Videos? It only seems to sort alphabetically after cycling through the views from Grid to List to Series to Grid. But always goes back to strange sort on opening. Shouldn't it be sorted by video title?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off topic question --- when switching between Album "Grid" view to the Video "Grid" view --- my albums display in alphabetical order but the Video Grid display is not. Only if I cycle through Grid, List, Series and back to Grid are the videos alphabetical.

Is there a command to resort the Video Grid? I also notice that if I close MM and reopen the Video grid, its back to not being alphabetical. What am I missing?

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no custom sorting in Grid view for Videos.

There does seem to be an issue with changing sort order in Grid View for Videos, added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18304
Roxie2401

Re: Poor Audio on Video files (MP4) [#18304]

Post by Roxie2401 »

Thanks for submitting that.

Am I correct that there is also no user control of sorting the Grid display for Albums but it seems to display based on the Properties/Album name?

And to draw a parallel, the Video Grid should also then sort based on Properties/Title?

Which is what displays after cycling through the Grid-List-Series-Grid.

Should be an easy fix........I hope.
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:54 am Video has the MediaMonkey Video Player under Tools > Options > Codec / Input (plug-ins). However no volume control is there.

It may simply be a case of the video having a low volume. It's something I noticed on YouTube, where I often have to change volume between videos as they aren't normalized.

Just a follow-up: Did some more testing and tried several videos on both MM and VLC Media Player --- they play at full volume on VLC but I have to crank MM to 100% and they are still not full volume. So I don't think this is an issue with the actual MP4 files.

I did the same thing with several audio files (MP3) on VLC and switched to the videos (MP4) and they play at the same volume without having to make any changes.

Looks like MM does have an issue with MP3 vs MP4 audio levels (and I think I have seen several threads on previous versions of MM where users were switching between Music files and Video files and low volume on video was an issue).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
There is issue in MM, simply said Gain index and Volume normalization is not added to video files due the complexity of codecs behavior. VLC and many other Video oriented players use own Audio Rendering engine to inject normalized Audio into video stream.

Anyhow I added it as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18309 for further investigation.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Peke, That's great. Thanks.

If MM were just for organizing and cataloging media (audio and video) then this wouldn't be an issue.

But since MM allows playing various media (audio MP3 & video MP4) in addition to organizing the library, then like VLC it would be nice for the video MP4 audio to play back at levels consistent with the other media (MP3, etc.). I guess what I'm trying to convey is that MM isn't just for Music........

I hadn't noticed the extreme volume difference this until I was working between Music and Video and had to constantly adjust the volume levels.

Lets see if the development team can come up with something ---- maybe a video codec as an add-on.

Thanks again!
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:10 pm There is no custom sorting in Grid view for Videos.

There does seem to be an issue with changing sort order in Grid View for Videos, added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18304
Grid Sorting: I notice barrym made a comment on the ticket #0018304 suggesting "Manage Views" so here is what I found.

I selected "Videos" then View/Main Panel View/Manage Views and then Grid (Videos) and set Sorting + to "Title A-Z" and clicked "OK" and the Video Grid does sort correctly.

But when I close MM and reopen, the sorting is no longer "A-Z" (I have no idea what the sort is or what is controlling).

Here is what is going on --- when I went back to Manage Views and looked at the Video Grid, the sorting was gone --- its not being saved when the program is closed. The other Views (List and List (Series)) are being saved, just not the Grid sort, even though I did click "OK" when setting the Title (A-Z).

Can you please pass this along and add it to the MantisBT ticket - and if there is any other testing or if I set the Grid sort incorrectly, please let me know.

Note: The Music Grid does not use the same sort ---- it uses a drop-down list and not the "+" sort arrangement.
Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 »

Hi - just a follow-up ---- were you able to forward my previous testing on the Video Grid Sort issue?

When you use Manager View and set the Video Grid sort to "Title to: A to Z" and say "OK" it works but closing and reopening MM, that sort is not being save. But other sorting (List, for example), once set (Title, Date, etc.) they stay. Only the Grid sort does not.

View/Main Panel Views/Manage View/Grid/Sort ---- does not stay set.

Please see if you can add this info to the ticket you were kind enough to open: 018304

Looks like it should be an easy fix.