How to uninstall MM5 Sync Server

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Pietercape

How to uninstall MM5 Sync Server

Post by Pietercape »

How do I uninstall the Sync Server and the MM Library that have been installed on my Windows PC. I do not need this feature.
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Re: How to uninstall MM5 Sync Server

Post by Pietercape »

Just to add to my post, MM Library is unticked in Settings and I cannot find Devices in the Tools>Option Tree or anywhere else.
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Devices are not in Options and instead in the Media Tree as Devices & Services: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... mputer/5.0

You can disable the Media Server under Tools > Options > Media Sharing.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Despite deselecting MM Library in Tools>Options>Media Sharing MM5 reloads it every time MM5 is opened and the status is shown as "Running". Despite unchecking all the sharing options, each time MM5 is reloaded all the folders in my library tree are cheked positively for sharing. I would like to get rid of this, please let me know how to do this.

I eventual removed MM Sync Server by going to Windows Network Devices and uninstalling it. At least MM has not re-installed it . (Yet!)

MM5 was installed on my PC when I clicked OK on a message that an upgrade is available. Having been a Lifetime Gold member for so long I did not blink and trustingly just went ahead and MM5 was installed with no options given to select features you did not need or want. I do not need or want media sharing and it seems that there is no way to remove it.

Having said that I am enjoying MM5 - my thanks to the developers for bringing us a more modern version of MM.
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like you installed the MediaMonkey Service, which is independent from this as it's purpose is to run the Media Server when MediaMonkey itself is not running. Uninstalling the Service will do the trick as this is not automatically installed by MediaMonkey.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I have no knowledge of MediaMonket Service and can find no reference to it on my PC nor are there any files in the program folder that allude to or can be construed to be MM Service. As MM5 installed itself is it possible that it was included?

I suppose the only way to clear this all up is a re-istall. I have made a copy of the DB and .ini files and will try it tomorrow.
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, you need to install it from the Media Servers settings.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Are you saying that if you uncheck the server here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/plq3ecidolv0j ... 7.png?dl=0
that it is checked again and 'Running' after MM5 restart?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Ludeck,
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Again this morning on launching MM5 in Tools>Options>Media Sharing unticking that option does not stop it from lauching on restart. I also opened this file after unticking it, clicked on the server tab, confirmed the option to "remove this item". It disapperas for the session but on restart, everything is back.

It seems that the user preference/Selection is not saved to the Settings .ini file
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Ludeck,
Following my post above the action Tools>Options>Media Sharing>MediaMonkey Library>Server>Remove does actually work.

I tried it again now after attempting it yesterday without success and when restarting MediaMoney Library was unticked and there was a note "Stopped". Similarly clicking the Server tab resulted in a note "Stopped".

I hope this is a permanent setting, however to less determined users this will seem to be a tortuous way to achieve a simple objective of not sharing files.
Library 23k tracks
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Curious, for me unchecking the checkbox always persists after MM5 restart and the server keeps stopped (as expected).

If you are still able to replicate then please capture it in debug log and attach to support ticket (see item 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ), this will help us analyzing why it is occuring in your environment.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Ludeck,
I am sorry but I could nor replicate the issue. I think that there were issues with the original install. That is probably why the MM Sync Server was installed on my PC. There were other issues with that first install such as not asking whether I want MM5 to use the setting from MM4 as happened when I reinstalled MM5, in fact none of the preinstall protocals were there such as agreeing to the conditions etc.
This install came about while I was on MM4 and a pop-up told me that there was an upgrade available. I was at fault for I was pre-occupied and confused "upgrade" with "update" and just clicked OK and the whole process unfolded. I was not worried at the lack of the usual permission/location procedures as I thought it was an update and when MM5 opened I was confronted with Orange homepage. That was when I knew that this was not normal

Best of all - it is all sorted and after a week with MM5 I have it all set up and I love it, especially the change to "shuffle". Well Done!
Library 23k tracks