High memory use in Playing

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Pietercape

High memory use in Playing

Post by Pietercape »

Is there a way to reduce quite high memory use when using the "playing" setting.

I really like this feature but it does at times bog my PC down if use the PC for browsing etc while listening.
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
Ludek

Re: High memory use in Playing

Post by Ludek »

Do you mean Playing node in the 'Album Art' view like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg73alozww7mf ... 4.png?dl=0
?

Right click it and they are some options for the "Background image" as seen on my screenshot.
Namely "Animate background on playback" could do the trick.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Also, which Build (Help > About) are you using?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Ludeck,
Yes, deselecting "Animate Background...." does the trick. Thanks!
My build is 5.0.1.2433 Portable mode
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Despite my post of 22 Sept. this issue has not been resolved. In fact when using random play with a source of about 4300 tracks it plays for about 30 to 40 minutes and then just stops.

MM5 Portable is installed on a Toshiba Satellite with 8GB of ram and a 1.65Ghz processor. It is not connected to the Internet. Thinking that other processes are interfering I uninstalled everything keeping just MM5 and Foobar portable. In addition I disabled Windows Update, Windows Security, Cortana, all those things that may be running in the background. It is now a barebones music library and player only.

But it still hangs after playing about 15 files. It is also slow in displaying the album art taking about 3 or 4 seconds before the art shows. This is using Player with no animation of the Album cover or searching for lyrics or anything else.

Task manager shows high CPU and disk usage by MM.

As an experiment I ran the identical test with Foobar and Musicbee, both just kept on playing and both instantly retrieve the album art.

I then looked at the size of the 3 players, all being portable installs.

Foobar - 462MB 139 files in 10 folders
Musicbee - 50.6MB 790 files in 49 folders
MM5 - 852MB 2578 files in 418 folders

I know that this is not a fair comparison as Foobar is a very good but basic music manager/player. Neither does Musicbee stack up against MM5 when it comes to features.

Can it be that MM5 is too complex for smaller computers ?.

If so I am sure am not the only user that loves MM5 but does not need all the NAS, File Sharing, Musicbrainz etc. Is there a case to be made either for MM5 Lite or to modularize all the extras and let users decide what they want to include ?

I use the Toshiba in a my basement music room where my music equipment is set up. It will be a pity if I cannot use MM5 there. I really hope that there is some solution!

Pieter
Lifetime Gold
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Output Plugin (Audio Output (plug-ins)) are you using?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Wasapi with Exclusive not checked
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you still experience playback issues if you switch to MediaMonkey DirectSound?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I will try that and get back to you, probably tomorrow.
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

The change to MM DirectSound made no difference.

I originally set MM5 up on the laptop from the download file and set it up manually. Thinking back I do not recall the exact details. But considering that MM5 operates without any issues on my PC I decided to delete the MM5 portable file on the laptop and then copied the PC MM5 file to the Laptop. On launch a Windows pop-up asked whether permission may be granted to MM5 to access the internet. As the laptop has no internet connection I dismissed the request, effectively denying access.

So far this set-up is performing flawlessly but I have not had time to run it for more than 1 hour. It can be that in my first installation I agreed to internet access. Can the cause for the stalling problem be that MM5 was trying to connect to the internet repeatedly and in the process created the CPU/Memory use problem?

I will continue to run tests and will give feedback if there is a change.

It is interesting that another poster reported stalling as well and that switching to DirectSound fixed the problem.
Library 23k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What is the name of your sound card it is possible that driver got corrupted and you have issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Peke,
The sound device is a Microsoft "Sound Video & Game Controller" the driver status is "Working properly" and the Driver Status is "Up to Date" The events log shows that the device was installed and configured on August 25, 2020. There are no other events logged. Output is via a Schiit Modi 3+ USB DAC.

Sound has worked consistently over this whole period using MM4 and lately when, because of the stalling in MM5, I have been using Foobar And Musicbee.

I suspect that there was some glitsch in my setup of MM5 particularly as I needed to disable all the file sharing features and may inadvertently done something wrong.
Library 23k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Pietercape wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:57 am Hi Peke,
The sound device is a Microsoft "Sound Video & Game Controller" the driver status is "Working properly" and the Driver Status is "Up to Date" The events log shows that the device was installed and configured on August 25, 2020. There are no other events logged. Output is via a Schiit Modi 3+ USB DAC.

Sound has worked consistently over this whole period using MM4 and lately when, because of the stalling in MM5, I have been using Foobar And Musicbee.

I suspect that there was some glitsch in my setup of MM5 particularly as I needed to disable all the file sharing features and may inadvertently done something wrong.
Hmm, I have not worked/tested that DAC, can you please open support ticket so that we can go thru settings directly as I you are right that there is some glitch in Settings and/or output plugin when communicating MM5 <-> Sound Card Driver.
Best regards,
Peke
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Unfortunately I cannot do that. As mentioned in my post earlier I deleted the original portable install that gave me these issues and replaced it with a MM5 portable install that I have on my PC and that appears at this stage to have eliminated the problem. I checked the Recycle Bin but it is empty. I empty it regularly.
Sorry but that means we will will now never know what the cause was.
Library 23k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If that solved your problem then great.

e are not going anywhere, so if you have any further issues I am on your disposal.
Best regards,
Peke