Amazon Fire Stick

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

smellhole

Re: Amazon Fire Stick

Post by smellhole »

Peke wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:34 pm
smellhole wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 pm
Peke wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:52 pm I know it is an old version but you should try to use one that works on FiiO devices that do not allow play services installed http://fiio-file.fiio.net/whitelists/mediamonkey.apk
Alas, that link didn't work. Trying to find a new one.
Just clicked on Link and it downloaded the APK please check your filters.
Filters on the Fire Stick?

Yes, I can download this file on my PC. Just not on the Fire Stick. It just says the file isn't found.

I'll try again.
::: Smellhole
::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.
Peke

Post by Peke »

smellhole wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:37 pm Filters on the Fire Stick?
Yes, I can download this file on my PC. Just not on the Fire Stick. It just says the file isn't found.
No filters in browser, but you already DL it to PC, now only thing is left to Sideload on firestick.

Check PM.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
smellhole

Post by smellhole »

Peke wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:42 pm No filters in browser, but you already DL it to PC, now only thing is left to Sideload on firestick.
Yay, I got it. I had used https:// instead of http://

It's installed now and I can launch it, but I can't access the main menu (where you choose Playlists and upnp and such). I can only move the focus with the remote between the search icon and the three dot icon. I use a keyboard with my Fire Stick, but that wasn't much use either.

Am I missing something?
::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Like I said MMA is not D-Pad optimized and you would need mouse/touchpad.

BT Keyboard with Touch pad should Depends on what FireStick Support.

Searching for it and it looks like same case I have done for my Nexus Player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMVXjKNbH0

The cheapest one I have found that have all components is https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Wireless-Ke ... 07XHNWGSZ/

After that you will wait for MMA 2.0 eagerly to see it in TV Mode which I love, but woudl also never leave that mini keyboard anywhere.

Maybe https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D6H7Y85 to expand it more.
Best regards,
Peke
smellhole

Post by smellhole »

After having messed around a lot with my computer audio and the home theater gizmos, I've come up with this:

I synch my phone to my PC, then cast the phone to my Marantz receiver.

Also, my TV itself recognizes my MM5, although the interface is meh.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

smellhole wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:49 pm Also, my TV itself recognizes my MM5, although the interface is meh.
Hi could you define "meh" ... too much info, not enough info?

You can alter what is shared to your TV via the options button at Tools>Options>Library>MediaSharing .. ie could yourcreate a collection, including and showing what you want, and then share only that collection?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I had a little play with this.
If I set the MM server to share just playlists to my TV, the UI is indeed meh, as expected.

If I share a MM5 Collection, the UI was good, with indices for all sub-nodes, eg Album, AlbumArtist,... Publishers, Producers etc etc

The indices are good, but was expecting that it would only serve the very limited sub-nodes that I had enabled in my Collection ... ie. i only enabled the Album and AlbumArtist sub-nodes. I don't know if everything is working properly there .. ?

But it all worked well, ie. several grades above meh IMO :D

the thing I did notice is that my TV didn't like to be a served a large Media collection.
I only tried a couple of options. It was happy with 10 albums, and croaked with 4,000 albums.
I don't know whether the TV UI is running its own Media Server ... maybe that is why I am also seeing the unexpected indices ? Do you know how this works Peke?

I guess the CPU in my TV is small... and if a "firestick" is anything like a Chromecast dongle, I guess that it is running on just a tiny candlepower or three?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MM5 the Media Server does not take the Collection settings, thus it's expected that different sub-nodes are available over DLNA than within MediaMonkey 5.

MediaMonkey serves an XML file, the more files, the larger this file will be. Unfortunately a lot of TV's come with limited processing capability (as they have to remain cheap), thus performance can be a problem when serving large Libraries.

Alternatives are:
1) Create a Playlist of what you want to play with just those limited files and point the TV at that Playlist instead.
2) Push with Play To from MediaMonkey 5.
3) Use a streaming stick as they're often more powerful.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:16 pm In MM5 the Media Server does not take the Collection settings, thus it's expected that different sub-nodes are available over DLNA than within MediaMonkey 5.
That's a backwards step. It was not that way with MM4.
Lowlander wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:16 pm MediaMonkey serves an XML file, the more files, the larger this file will be. Unfortunately a lot of TV's come with limited processing capability (as they have to remain cheap), thus performance can be a problem when serving large Libraries.
Any limitation in TV resources are not helped by MM5 sending an XML file that is bloated with a lot of unwanted data.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmmm, Already started to investigate it see https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18410

TV series is a bit Tricky one that is making us headache due the its specifics and user preference what Info you would like to have parsed over DLNA.

For now real solution was not found yet even I am (think LowLander also) for example big TV series fan.

If you have any suggestions that can drive us to the right direction shoot. I would love to see that solved ASAP.
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:26 am TV series is a bit Tricky one that is making us headache due the its specifics and user preference what Info you would like to have parsed over DLNA.
The User could configure what data was exported to the TV in MM4 to meet their own Use Case. It looks like you removed that in MM5.
Peke wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:26 am If you have any suggestions that can drive us to the right direction shoot. I would love to see that solved ASAP.
Suggestion would be to do the same as you did for MM4.
There is a benefit of this change?

nb. I haven't done any Quantitative Analysis to check the impact of the change, but would presume it to be significant until someone demonstrates otherwise.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The benefit is that you don't have to setup Collection sub-nodes to accommodate both scenarios. ie. you don't have to enable nodes in MediaMonkey, because you want them over DLNA, or have a bunch of nodes on DLNA because you needed them in MediaMonkey.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:38 am The benefit is that you don't have to setup Collection sub-nodes to accommodate both scenarios. ie. you don't have to enable nodes in MediaMonkey, because you want them over DLNA, or have a bunch of nodes on DLNA because you needed them in MediaMonkey.
Thanks for responding, but that's the benefit?
If I create a Collection MM5, all the sub-nodes are enabled by default (except AlbumArtist, which is a pissoff, but that's another story).
The thing is that there is zero configuration. It's all ready to go without configuration.

I can choose to configure it if I want to tune the amount of data being sent to my TV.

It is MM4 which has the real "benefit", because for large collections MM4 works, and MM5 is completely broken.

And even for small collections the UI in the the TV in MM5 is messy.

Steps:
  • MM4 create a Collection creating 47,600 tracks
  • Tune Collection to pass just Album, AlbumArtist, and Genre nodes
  • Tune Collection to contain just 7 columns: Artwork, Album, Title, etc etc
  • Share to TV
    • Result: sharing from MM4 is functional in TV ... browse AlbumArtist>Album ... play album, hear music see artwork ... all good
  • MM5 create the same collection with same configution
    • Result: broken in TV ... cannot browse (error "Too much content on this device to list it all" ... cannot see or play anything
PS. it is OK by me if you move the tail of of this thread into its own thread with appropriate title.