Scroll bar accessibility

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

sjd22

Scroll bar accessibility

Post by sjd22 »

Why are software developers (MediaMonkey now included) seemingly on a mission to indicate the traditional accessible scroll bars with non-offensive up/down arrows to click on?

I have very similar difficulties as somebody who has Parkinson's, due to the type of cerebral palsy I have. As somebody who started using computers when they only had green characters, I am getting really really tired of companies doing away with the normal scroll bars without thinking about people who walk this earth in very different shoes to their own, but whose money is the same colour as everybody else's.

I have received tweets from people who are colour blind and who have also had enough.

Come on Media Monkey, don't be the same as Apple, Postbox and others who refuse to reverse the needless change....

Sarah
Lowlander

Re: Scroll bar accessibility

Post by Lowlander »

Do the scroll wheel, up/down arrows or page up/down not accommodate in this case?
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I should mention that the Metro M skin does have arrows in the scroll bar. Additionally, we have plans to enable customizable font size to improve accessibility in the future (to help visually impaired individuals). If there was an addon you could install that forces the scrollbar to display with up/down arrows, no matter what skin you have selected, would that help?

Aside from those two items (scrollbars and font size), are there any additional issues you have with MediaMonkey's accessibility?
It's true that accessibility hadn't been a high priority while developing MM5, but after getting user feedback, it is on our to-do list to improve MediaMonkey's accessibility for as many people as possible (https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17797). But we're relying on feedback in order to know what to focus on. So I appreciate that you're coming to us with your issues. :slight_smile:
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
sjd22

Post by sjd22 »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:34 pm Do the scroll wheel, up/down arrows or page up/down not accommodate in this case?
No, not when hand and arm coordination are severely affected by any disability......