updating metadata in folder & library

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

timmytherube

updating metadata in folder & library

Post by timmytherube »

Hi all,

I confess to having significant user issues with MM5 -- thus far it's not at all intuitive to me. I'm trying, but at this point if I could revert back to MM4, I would.

I think the main issue I'm having is due to the fact that most of my engagement with my collection through MM is directly through the folders. But I'm finding that when I edit metadata in the folders, it is not reflected in the library/database. Ideally, I would be able to edit both simultaneously when editing in the folder.

Is there a setting I can change that will allow me to have the library/database metadata change along with the metadata in the file tags?

If there is not, I think the best thing I could do is clear my library/database entirely and rebuild it. How do I clear that library data?
Lowlander

Re: updating metadata in folder & library

Post by Lowlander »

Are you editing in the Folders node in the Media Tree? This works outside of the Library.

Instead try using Music > Location node and you'll have folder browsing like Folders, but work within the MediaMonkey Library.
timmytherube

Post by timmytherube »

Yes, I'm editing in the Folders mode in the Media Tree, which is my strong preference.

I think the core issue is caused by the issue I'm having with the database, having moved it to a different external drive. I'd like to clear the library and start over, which might help considerably.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As mentioned, Folders works outside of the MediaMonkey Library (and is slower) and the Location sub-node provides the same navigation as it's also folder based.

You can clear the database from File > Manage database if you want to start fresh. Note that you'll loose Playlists, Play History and unsaved tags.
timmytherube

Post by timmytherube »

Thank you. I'll clear the library database and start over. Rebuilding may help resolve the confusing bits.
timmytherube

Post by timmytherube »

Upon clearing the library, I got the window that says that my library is being upgraded to the latest version. While it says that this can take several minutes, it's been more than a half-hour now. Is that longer than expected? At what point should I consider hitting 'cancel'? What are the consequences of doing so?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Clearing from with MediaMonkey?
timothyruback1

Post by timothyruback1 »

Yes, using the clear database option from "File > Manage database" as you suggested. I've been here for about 45 minutes or so (since I posted my comment above, beginning with "Thank you.")
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

timothyruback1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:14 pm Yes, using the clear database option from "File > Manage database" as you suggested. I've been here for about 45 minutes or so (since I posted my comment above, beginning with "Thank you.")
Are you still having a problem getting restarted with MM5?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If Clear Database takes to long you can instead remove the database file directly via File Explorer: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 am
Hey Lowlander, just looking to clarify my understanding. So when referring to the "library" that's just the MM database. "Folder" would be the source folder you add/scan your music from?

My question is how do you change your folder tags to match the new library ones?
I saw a right click option in update tags. That when clicked says warning this will update tags to match your library. But I was messing with manage database settings and have lost all updated tags. For quite awhile I thought my folders were being updated to match library but apparently not.
(Not mad, I assume it's a lack of understanding on my part)
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Update Tags will save database (what you see in MediaMonkey) values to the files.

By default any changes you make to tags are saved to the files, unless you disabled the option to do so: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... g_Settings