Paste album art [#18180 #18940] - Un-Fixed again!

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Paste album art [#18180 #18940] - Un-Fixed again!

Post by Rob_S »

In MM4 I was able to copy album cover images from web to clipboard, then edit properties of my songs or albums, and past the image into the album art space.

I was also able to paste directly into the main window by right-click the space where the art displays.

This (neither way) does not work in MM5, ie when I right-click, paste does not appear among the options.

Is this still possible some other way?
Last edited by Rob_S on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Re: Paste album art

Post by Lowlander »

Are you copying from a Chromium based browser (like Chrome)? Does Drag & Drop also fail?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Actually, I am copying from snipping tool via the windows clipboard.

The same image, on the same clipboard, without any change pasted fine into the same song in the MM4 art pane.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I checked with 5.0.2.2513 and right click Paste works in the Properties > Artwork tab for Screen Snip.

However the Snipping Tool doesn't seem to copy to the Clipboard for me in the first place, thus isn't available for paste anywhere.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, I installed 2513 and retested, I don't see any change, but found one odd workaround.

So first of all, the source of the copied image makes no difference for me. Copied from web, use snipping tool, windows paint, etc all result in having an image on the clipboard that pastes into MM4 as well as other programs.

When I right-click a track in the main window, and choose properties, artwork in MM5, and right-click in the blank area, I do not get a paste option, which I do get in MM4. What are you and I doing differently here???

When I right click in the artwork space in the "list by album", I do not get a paste option, which I do get in MM4.

Now here is the strange bit. When I right-click in the artwork window below the now-playing list, I do get a paste option in MM5, and it works to bring up the box where I can select what it is, ie front-cover, and insert the image.

This last above also works in MM4, but I had never thought to try it.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Inspiration:

Could my selected skin "codemonkey" be affecting this situation, I asked myself.

So, I changed over to "Metro M (classic)" and lo and behold, the coveted "paste" option appeared in the "properties, album art" tab.

It still does not appear in the track listing by album pane, album art square.

So for future things like this, it would be good to know which is the skin least likely to misbehave for testing of such issues??
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Rob_S

Re: Paste album art [#18180 #18180]

Post by Rob_S »

Just to confirm, this is still not working for me in latest beta version.

It does not matter what the source of the clipboard image is, paste is NEVER enabled in the properties, album art window.

However, I can paste the same image into the "currently-selected" window at the bottom right corner.
Rob_S

Re: Paste album art [#18180 #18180]

Post by Rob_S »

Appears to be working for me now in the latest RC3 version.

Wonderful!
Rob_S

Re: Paste album art [#18180 #18180] Un-fixed!

Post by Rob_S »

Paste artwork in the properties window has stopped working again in the last few versions, including 2610 and 2611

Paste into the preview window lately works most of the time, seems to stop working after MM5 has been playing for a while

Paste into the list by album artwork display has never worked.
MiPi

Re: Paste album art [#18180 #18180] - Un-Fixed again!

Post by MiPi »

Rob_S: I cannot reproduce problem in properties window, what exact steps you do, from where you copy the image and how?
I cannot reproduce the problem in Preview panel too, are some steps needed before?
Paste to List (by Album) added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18939
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, so its a bit complicated. Woke up this morning, and lo and behold, the paste option appeared on right-click in the properties window, and it was working!!! :o

This is all using 2611 and Material design skin (apparently the most likely to work with latest updates??)

I was getting all ready to log in here and accuse you of entering surreptitiously into my computer overnight and fixing it. How you would do that left me wondering.

So, I worked it for a bit, tried a few searches, a few auto-tags, played a few songs, total maybe 15 minutes of use, and then tried again. Now the "paste" option again failed to appear after right-click in the properties window. The right click menu then has only 4 items in it. With the same image still on the clipboard, the paste option did appear and work for the same track in the preview window.

As to any failure in the preview window, on some much rarer occasions I have had the paste option appear, but it remains greyed out, even though there is a paste able image in the clipboard. Restart MM usually fixes it.

So this would be the programmers favorite bug - not always repeatable - hard to reproduce - yet the user keeps complaining.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What are you copying the Artwork from when Pasting fails? Can you do Drag & Drop of Artwork instead?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

From art found on the web, and copied to the clipboard

Clearly there is nothing wrong with the clip, because quite often the exact same clip fails to bring up the paste option in "Properties", but pastes perfectly fine in the preview window, or into MM4.

There appears to still be an intermittent fault in the properties window that causes the paste option to not appear.

I think 18180 needs to be reopened for further fixing, it is as described there.

I will test the drag and drop as I never used that before
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Thanks for description, it helped, I have found repro steps, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18940