Adding Discontinued/Feed-less Podcasts to Subscriptions [#18571]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MediaOtter

Adding Discontinued/Feed-less Podcasts to Subscriptions [#18571]

Post by MediaOtter »

I have an archive of a number of old/discontinued podcasts that I would like to manage in MediaMonkey 5 (5.0.1.2431 currently).

However, there doesn't seem to be any way to get MediaMonkey to recognize these podcasts as Subscriptions, or even as an Unsubscribed feed, without a currently-working feed to initially create the entry. Is there a manual way to force this behavior, or to create a "dummy" feed with the archived files to add them to the subscription list properly?

Thank you for your help!
Lowlander

Re: Adding Discontinued/Feed-less Podcasts to Subscriptions

Post by Lowlander »

Is Type set to Podcast for these files (see Properties)?
MediaOtter

Post by MediaOtter »

Yes, both Type and Genre are set to "Podcast." The files are visible under the "Podcasts > Location" tree, but not in any other part of "Podcasts".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is the Podcast field filled with the name of the Podcast subscription?
MediaOtter

Post by MediaOtter »

Yep. They all match the feed they should be sorted under as well.
MediaOtter

Post by MediaOtter »

I should add additional context that the files in question behaved as-expected under MM4, so the properties should still probably be correct. I can do a portable install of MM4 to double-check this, but when I upgraded I didn't change anything about my library.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmmmm. For me all Podcast episodes that were missing podcast URL showed under Podcast -> Unsubscribed tree node and read/classified correctly.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, did you import the database and settings from MM4 or you started with empty MM5 library and fresh scan?
I believe that importing the DB & settings from MM4 preserves the unsubscribed podcast feeds & content.
MediaOtter

Post by MediaOtter »

When I installed MM5 I started with a fresh scan, did not migrate the DB or settings. All podcasts initially started this same way, with no items in my subscriptions/unsubscribed lists. As I added subscriptions to podcasts that are still active, files for those feeds were recognized as already present and were listed under "Subscriptions".
MediaOtter

Post by MediaOtter »

Did a bit of extra troubleshooting on this.

1. Removed the files of one of the discontinued podcasts from the MM5 library, then rescanned the directory. Files were added back to the library, but a subscription entry was not added to the "Unsubscribed" list.
2. Installed a portable version of the most recent MM4, and scanned in the same directory. The files were added to the library successfully, and a new Subscription entry was added, as expected.
3. Copied the podcast files locally (most of my media is stored across the network on a NAS) to see if there was any difference importing the files from a local location. Scanned in using MM5. Files were imported, but no Subscription entry was added to match. No change.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for the tests, I see the same and actually found where the problem lies.

Will be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18571 for the next build 2522