Auto-exclude particular collection from playlists?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ed.j

Auto-exclude particular collection from playlists?

Post by ed.j »

For various reasons I keep a replica of some music on a network location, with said music being converted by MM from its original location. I need to keep this music in MM in order to see what is there.

Is there any way of excluding this music automatically from all playlists?

The issue I have is that the auto playlists are seeing and including the music twice. I have a LOT of auto playlists and don't want to have to go through each one editing it - which wouldn't always work anyway if they are using the "match any" criteria rather than "match all", as they intentionally find music from multiple collections.
Peke

Re: Auto-exclude particular collection from playlists?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately no, playlists can't be collection based. You need to edit each Auto Playlist and include collection criteria to exclude tracks from it.

EDIT: I personally have One Playlist that contain Base Collection exclude criteria (mostly contain PATH) and Multiply it before adding more criteria I need eg. Drag and Drop Playlist while holding CTRL to create new copy of Playlist.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can create an AutoPlaylist with the same Criteria as the Collection so it replicates the file list. Then you can exclude the AutoPlaylist with the Playlist is not Criteria.
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Thanks for the responses guys, unfortunately I've already made hundreds of auto playlists so this is a rainy weekend job! Cheers
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke said that Playlist cannot be Collection based, but is that true?

ie. what does the Search control at the top of every auto playlist do?

Could you make a Collection as LowLander suggested, which excludes your duplication drive.
Then select that Collection in the Search control for each of your autoplaylists.
That way you don't have to wrangle with the Match Any criteria playlists that you mentioned, and any change going forward is just a single change at the Collection level, affecting all playlists?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:06 am Peke said that Playlist cannot be Collection based, but is that true?
just a single change at the Collection level, affecting all playlists?
If you look Playlist tree node is outside connections and it is library based not collection based. So no, only way is to go LL way to create Auto Playlist containing just backup tracks/path and then use that playlist in criteria to exclude them.
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:13 am If you look Playlist tree node is outside connections and it is library based not collection based. So no, only way is to go LL way to create Auto Playlist containing just backup tracks/path and then use that playlist in criteria to exclude them.
I still don't know what you mean.
The fact that the Playlist node is at the top level of the Media Tree is not relevant to anything.

I just simulated what the (I think) the OP is needing to simplify his task:
  • I took an auto-playlist, which is, by default, selecting from my EntireLibrary
  • I changed it to select from just a single Collection, by changing its Search control
  • ==> the playlist selects from just that 1 Collection ... ie. it is Collection based
  • so if the OP creates a Collection, which excludes his duplicate drive, he is good to go
    • change just that top line in each of his Playlists, and he doesn't have to worry about his ALL vs ANY criteria sets
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Do you refer to this:
If yes than you are correct, I was referring to fact that you can't move Playlist within Collection tree node.

More thinking of it you can create Static Playlist with name of collections and then Drag and Drop other to be its sub playlists so basically you will create own playlist structure to reflect your collections for easier browsing.
Best regards,
Peke