JPG artwork displayed for MP4 videos, but only on initial scan

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

niggle

JPG artwork displayed for MP4 videos, but only on initial scan

Post by niggle »

Hi,

I have a Plex collection of MP4 movies, with JPG posters of the same filename for most but not all of these movies.

First time I scanned this collection into MM5, these JPGs are displayed as artwork, no problem. Note that the movies are not tagged with the artwork - these are just JPGs sharing the same path and filename.

Problem came when I later added JPGs for additional movies. Again, not tagging the MP4 itself, just a JPG of the same name. Then on re-scanning, the artwork isn't displayed. Even if I delete the movie from the library and re-scan, the movie is re-added to the library, but still no artwork. Any thoughts?

Many thanks.
Lowlander

Re: JPG artwork displayed for MP4 videos, but only on initial scan

Post by Lowlander »

Is the option to scan file directories for Artwork still enabled (Tools > Options > Library)?

Are the MP4 and Artwork file stored together in a separate folder for each movie and which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?
niggle

Post by niggle »

Yes, the option to scan file directories for artwork is enabled.

The MP4 and JPG are always in the same folder, but there can be other movies (MP4 +JPG pairs) in the same folder.

Version 5.0.1.2433.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

niggle wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:04 pm but there can be other movies (MP4 +JPG pairs) in the same folder.
That's likely where the problem lies. You should have each movie in it's own folder with it's own Artwork file.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Just tried that on a folder that had 3 movies, creating 3 sub-folders with one MP4 and JPG in each ... didn't help.

I realise now that the initial scan was done with MM4. So I just tried removing movies from the library that were showing the artwork, then re-scanning. These are now missing the artwork as well.

So then I removed the library altogether, and re-scanned. No artwork at all.

Seems to be a feature of MM4 that wasn't carried over to MM5.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try having MP4 movie files in their own folder with the Artwork named folder; does that work?
niggle

Post by niggle »

That worked. Interesting.

Not a feasible workaround because Plex expects the filename to be the same.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

niggle

Post by niggle »

Ah, ok. Thank you.

Now I have the dilemma, whether to re-structure my entire movie collection. Urgh.

Another minor quirk, I have a folder named '28' containing movies '28 Days Later' and '28 Weeks Later', which are both omitted from the library.

I suspect that MM5 is treating them as the 28th episode of something, so excluding them. Not sure.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can disable Infer properties under Tools > Options > Library if the auto-fill of tags on scan is off.

Using the Entire Library > Location sub-node (enable under Tools > Options > Collections & Views) navigate to the folder in question and make sure the files really aren't in the Library. Edit the files as needed so they show in the correct place.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Thank you !!

Infer properties was already off. No matter, I just renamed the folder from '28' to '28 Later'. That was enough for it to be included in the library.

Had a similar problem with '10 Cloverfield Lane' and '21 Years a Slave' movies - they were added as TV programs, even though they were under a folder that was scanned as Media Type = Video (not TV or Auto detection).

No big deal, I could edit them indivdually. Just something to be aware of.

Thanks again for all your help and support.