As MM5 owner, should I delete MM4? How to do that safely?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

drewmacdonald

As MM5 owner, should I delete MM4? How to do that safely?

Post by drewmacdonald »

I've had version 5 for a while now and am getting used to it, but I am still getting hangs far more frequently than in earlier versions and I'm getting tired of the close/reopen rigamarole.

I note that my Windows 10 Program Files (x86) folder still has a subfolder called [MediaMonkey] in addition to the [Media Monkey 5] subfolder. I wonder if I would benefit from getting rid of any possibly-redundant files that may be contributing to the frequent freezes. How can I do that safely?

Please note that I don't want to start a wider why-is-MM5-hanging-up-so-much thread. I just want to know if removing leftover stuff from MM4 is possible or even advisable.

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered. I've been using MM for many years now and this is my first forum question.
Lowlander

Re: As MM5 owner, should I delete MM4? How to do that safely?

Post by Lowlander »

You can uninstall from the control panel in Windows.

Please capture any crashes in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

This will allow a developer to fix whatever is causing the crash in your setup.
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

drewmacdonald wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:19 pm I wonder if I would benefit from getting rid of any possibly-redundant files that may be contributing to the frequent freezes.
There is probably not the benefit to it, that you are hoping for. In my experience MM4 and MM5 do not interfere at all.
By now I must have installed/uninstalled MM5 debug, test and regular versions dozens of times
on my main PC where MM4 is still installed, as well as on singular installations on different machines without MM4: Makes no difference.
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drewmacdonald wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:19 pm I've had version 5 for a while now and am getting used to it, but I am still getting hangs far more frequently than in earlier versions and I'm getting tired of the close/reopen rigamarole.

I note that my Windows 10 Program Files (x86) folder still has a subfolder called [MediaMonkey] in addition to the [Media Monkey 5] subfolder. I wonder if I would benefit from getting rid of any possibly-redundant files that may be contributing to the frequent freezes. How can I do that safely?
I think that it highly unlikely that the existence of MM4 is contributing to your instability.

Which version of MM5 are you running? (Help>About)
The current official release of MM5 was the 1st ever version. It is relatively raw, and is a lot less stable than the current "beta" version, ie. version 5.0.2.2519.

I am running 2519. No close/reopen rigmarole.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
drewmacdonald

Post by drewmacdonald »

Thanks to repliers. I'm glad to hear that the presence of MM4 is probably not the culprit. My hang/freeze events (which usually happen during "find more from same" operations) and the other minibugs I run across are not severe enough that I can't wait for the next version update.