Bad Audio Quality Except in WASAPI Exclusive Mode

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

msg2000

Bad Audio Quality Except in WASAPI Exclusive Mode

Post by msg2000 »

I am experiencing bad audio quality when playing MP3 and M4A files in MM5. The sound is very tinny with very little bass even though I have a subwoofer attached. When playing the same files in Groove the sound is great with rich bass notes.

I have tried all three Audio Output plug-ins (DirectSound, WASAPI, and waveOut) and they all produce the same poor results. The only way I can get decent sound quality is by using WASAPI in Exclusive Mode. I have tried turning Volume Leveling and Clipping Prevention off and on with no effect.

I can live with Exclusive Mode as a temporary work around, but it is really inconvenient. Is there anything else I can try to get better sound quality other than keeping MM5 in WASAPI Exclusive Mode all the time?

Windows 10 Pro 19042.1348
MM5 5.0.1.2433
Peke

Re: Bad Audio Quality Except in WASAPI Exclusive Mode

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please for starter upgrade to latest MM5 beta version from viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d and also please disclose very important information on what is the sound card you use for playback/listening?

To answer other concerns. It is not strange that WASAPI exclusive is only one playing good because all other modes can be intercepted and changes by other system DSP plugins or even sound card driver settings.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
msg2000

Post by msg2000 »

I am using the built in Realtek Audio in a Dell XPS desktop. The driver is:

RTKVHD64.sys
8/23/2021

I will try upgrading to the MM5 beta version as soon as I can.
msg2000

Post by msg2000 »

I loaded the beta build (5.0.2.2519) and that did not correct the issue. I still must use Exclusive Mode to have good sound quality.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Strange, are you sure that Driver effects are not enabled eg. Dolby Atmos, other Dolby effects, spatial sound, .... from device properties and advanced settings, because this is what Exclusive mode do.

I have Realtek HDA onboard, but I use bit older driver as my main/primary Sound Card is Focusrite Solo 3rd gen.

Can you make pic of realtek Control Panel, not one you downloaded from Microsoft store? (as it is missing many fine driver settings) eg. like this one

NOTE: Just checked and it looks that latest version is "Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.9235.1 FF00 WHQL, 09/07/2021"
Best regards,
Peke
msg2000

Post by msg2000 »

I appreciate your help. Something must have happened to the driver during an update or I'm assuming that is the case. I finally had to reset Windows and reinstall everything. The audio from Media Monkey is back to being good after I did that.

Thanks,
Mark
Sterna

Post by Sterna »

I also have tried all three output plug-ins with flac- and mp3-files and the sound is terrible. Other programs using my sound card and settings are ok.

Windows 10 (latest version)
MediaMonkey 5 (latest version)
Realtek sound card (latest driver)

Why should I buy MediaMonkey Gold?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Start with disabling Play > Level playback volume from the Main Menu? Does that improve sound quality?

More tips: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... corrupted/
Sterna

Post by Sterna »

Nothing helps the sound is cracking no matter what output plug-in I'm using.

Either the program says that I have wrong settings or the sound is cracking. My sound card settings are 16bits / 44100Hz. I want to use Wasapi and have also tried other output plug-ins. And now when I configure the plug-in to use 16bits / 48000hz ths sound is OK. How is this possible? I have used so much time to get things right. And now when I do wrong things go right!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Sterna wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:10 am Either the program says that I have wrong settings or the sound is cracking. My sound card settings are 16bits / 44100Hz. I want to use Wasapi and have also tried other output plug-ins. And now when I configure the plug-in to use 16bits / 48000hz ths sound is OK. How is this possible? I have used so much time to get things right. And now when I do wrong things go right!
This sounds like driver issue, corrupted or buggy as if you have setting that works it means hardware is struggling to play on different settings not native to it :(

Can you please add screenshots of driver settings like I posted few post earlier (See my signature on how to do it)?
Best regards,
Peke