"Error moving file" / "Problem copying file"

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

svburke

"Error moving file" / "Problem copying file"

Post by svburke »

I have what is for me an inexplicable issue using Auto-organize (Ctrl+R). When trying to move certain files, I am getting an error message; when trying instead to copy them to a new location, I am getting the "problem" message. I have tried shortening the path -- this did not work. My only guess is that the issue has something to do with the long file name of the original download -- example below:

(Disc 2) 01 - Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 in B-Flat Major, Op. 83_ Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 in B-Flat Major, Op. 83_ I. Allegro non troppo_833a0e1b-a5bb-4665-9f9d-964f8fe23ca9

I have no idea why that string of gibberish appears at the end of the proper name of the movement of the piece; it's from an Amazon Auto-rip. Is it possible that file name is causing the problem? If so, any easy way to resolve it? I was trying to move using the following path:

C:\Users\svbur\Music\AMZN MOVE Music\$Left(<Album Artist>,20)\$Left(<Album>,20)\<Disc #>-<Track #>-$Left(<Title>,20)

Suggestions appreciated, thanks so much!
Lowlander

Re: "Error moving file" / "Problem copying file"

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) are you using? Long Paths, although supposedly supported in Windows 10, don't work well in my experience in File Explorer itself.

Does the file itself play in MediaMonkey?
svburke

Post by svburke »

Hi, thanks -- build is 5.0.1.2433. Yes, the files do play. I can also move them from one location to another in Windows Explorer (through drop and drag). But even from the new location they can be moved or copied with Ctrl+R.
svburke

Post by svburke »

I just realized those weird alphanumeric strings at the end of many of the file names is a red herring -- they are not the issue as some of the files will move. I suspect it is length. Is there an alternative program or mechanism that will trim file-name length in a batch process? Thanks again
svburke

Post by svburke »

The length is the issue. I manually shortened a couple file names and then was able to get them to move.

Unfortunately identifying the problem does not reveal an easy solution. There are way too many of these files to shorten each of them. Why is it that MM can't move a file after it already has scanned it and added it to the library? Strange.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

svburke wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:17 pm C:\Users\svbur\Music\AMZN MOVE Music\$Left(<Album Artist>,20)\$Left(<Album>,20)\<Disc #>-<Track #>-$Left(<Title>,20)
Are you sure that you are still going to have uniqueness for file and folder names after you truncate the lengths with your mask?

try adding <Random> to file and folder names for one of those which failed?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
svburke

Post by svburke »

Good point, thanks. I'm at the moment working with a very small component of my library, so there won't be an issue with unique names. (With the whole library, yes there would be -- it has over 250,000 tracks!) I was really just trying to isolate this issue. For whatever reason, it's not the file length of the new path that's an issue, but the old path -- MM seems not to be able to pull the file from its old location due to the excessive length.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's a Windows problem. You could search online for what registry key to change to allow long filenames in Windows, but for me it didn't resolve the problem in File Explorer (it still wouldn't allow creating them), however it may work for you.
svburke

Post by svburke »

Thanks again for the reply.

I realized the easiest way to deal with this is with FreeFileSync -- a great program, in case anybody else is looking for good sync software to help back up the library. Anyway, FFS will allow the files to be moved and for whatever reason it is able to work around the Windows naming/path issues.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Long paths handling has been improved in 5.0.2
Is the inability to move long paths still an issue in 5.0.2.2523 for you?