Q: How do you tag mash-up songs for correct sorting?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Sebastian78

Q: How do you tag mash-up songs for correct sorting?

Post by Sebastian78 »

I fear this is the decades old topic of various artists, albeit perhaps a new iteration of it.

I have a lot of mash-up albums/songs and they are usually annoyingly not staying where I want them.

Example :

Filename - 01 - The Chemical Brothers vs. John Williams - Galvanize the Empire [Party Ben].mp3
Title - Galvanize The Empire [Party Ben]
Artist(s) - The Chemical Brothers vs. John Williams
Album Artist - DJ Morgoth

When I view my library under Artist, this file is separate from both The Chem... and John Williams. Which I kind of want, because it's completely different than either artist. In reality, DJ Morgoth is the "artist". I then have several hundred "vs." type artists. But I don't want to use Mortgoth as the artist either and using Various Artists in the album artist field, well then I loos DJ Morgoth.

Can I somehow "link" files in one album under the Artist view so just that album is left of of normal sorting?
Barry4679

Re: Q: How do you tag mash-up songs for correct sorting?

Post by Barry4679 »

I am not 100% clear about what you are asking.
Do you queue you music by Album or by Track?
Do you navigate your collection by mostly by artist or by albumartist?

Not really sure what you are trying to achieve.

If Album and AlbumArtist are your primary interest, you could tag all the tracks, in your example, with AlbumArist as follows:
DJ Morgoth; The Chemical Brothers; John Williams
n.b. the blank spaces after the semi-colons are significant

That way the album is accessible by each of the entities, and there is no extra entity for all the mashup pairings.
And DL Morgoth is seen as the major artist by MM if you sync the album to another device ... although if you use Sonos, that name would need to be last.

If you scrobble your plays to Last.fm, the Artist tag is the primary entity for that purpose.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

Sorry for long reply time.

A mash-up is often "unsanctioned" mixes and they pose a problem for a clean looking DB.

Example :

Location/Filename :

\Library - Albums\DJ Morgoth - Mash-Up Your Bootz\Mash-Up Your Bootz Party Vol. 07 (VBR)\07 - AC-DC vs. Fatboy Slim vs. Daft Punk vs. James Brown - 303 is TNT [DJ Moule].mp3

It is listed with "AC/DC vs. Fatboy Slim vs. Daft Punk vs. James Brown" as Artist. So these do not appear under any of the artists mashed up, which I want. It is listed with that long string as the artist, which isn't really correct.

I have it under "DJ Morgoth" as the "Album Artist" so I can find this with all the other DJ Morgoth songs. So that's fine.

But I can't use the multiple artist separator because I then loose the vs. and when I play it I want the full vs. to display in the artist field.

So how do I keep the VS. for the display of now playing and get the same file to appear under all the different artists?
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

Issue :

When I go to the "Artist" view in the collections/node, I get a separate album cover for each song on a mash-up album with one song in them. And it looks really really messy and it makes navigating a pain..
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sebastian78 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:38 amSo how do I keep the VS. for the display of now playing and get the same file to appear under all the different artists?
You can't, it's either one or the other, unless you do both Artist1 vs Artist2; Artist1; Artist2, but that is redundant and would have an Artist entry for all 3 values.
Sebastian78 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:41 amWhen I go to the "Artist" view in the collections/node, I get a separate album cover for each song on a mash-up album with one song in them.
This means that either Album Artist isn't the same for all files on the Album or sorting isn't done on Album or Album Artist (instead maybe on Artist).
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Sebastian78 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:41 am When I go to the "Artist" view in the collections/node, I get a separate album cover for each song on a mash-up album with one song in them. And it looks really really messy and it makes navigating a pain..
I completely removed Artist view from my list. I find it messy and not useful just for this reason. I replaced it with Album Artist. There will only be a single one, and this cleans up the view.