Question: 2 Instances of Library shown in DLNA Device

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Andre_H

Question: 2 Instances of Library shown in DLNA Device

Post by Andre_H »

Hi folks,

I've never worked with DLNA much before, but for a few days now there has been that shiny new AVR in my house. Those thing shows me 2 instances of the MediaMonkey shared library,
- once a "MediaMonkey Server"; that's how I named my shared database and under this I also find my playlists, etc. ...
- and a "MediaMonkey Library" with the 5 playlists supplied as standard , for example "accessible files", etc. They are all empty, however.

I can also find the entry "MediaMonkey Library" in my MMW installation under "Devices", but I cannot remove it there. How do I get rid of this second entry?

Thank you!
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Lowlander

Re: Question: 2 Instances of Library shown in DLNA Device

Post by Lowlander »

That's left over from MediaMonkey 4 to 4.1 upgrade. You can remove one and setup the other as you need it.

You can't remove it from Devices & Services as this just lists the Media Servers found on your network.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:52 am That's left over from MediaMonkey 4 to 4.1 upgrade.
Cant be (in this case). I startet direct with 5.0; beside a portable version to test a few things, i never used MMW 4.
But, i dont care that much where it come from, i just want to get rid of it.
Lowlander wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:52 am You can remove one and setup the other as you need it.
Where do i remove it?

to clarify: in MMW=>Extras=>Options=>Shares i see only one shared DB "MediaMonkey Server", and thats the "right" one with my playlists. the other one "MediaMonkey Libraray" i can only see in DLNA devices, and under "Devices", NOT under "shares". so i dont know where to delete.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you see 2 MediaMonkey servers under Devices & Services it indicates that another MediaMonkey server is running somewhere on your network.

If you use the 3 dot icon you can select Properties to see more info on this server.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

I see one server "MediaMonkey Server (SRV-WIN16-MM)" under "shares", thats the "right" one. (I renamed it moths ago, not sure what the original name of the share, provided by MediaMonkey setup, was. Is that renaming maybe source of that?)

I see the "wrong one" named "MediaMonkey Library (SRV-WIN16-MM)" under "devices".

I see both of them in DLNA devices like my Denon AVR.

That NetBIOS Name from both points to my (one and only) MMW computer, on which runs my MMW5, and in which never ever run any MMW4. There was an iTunes on that maschine until end of 2020, i jumped straight from iTunes to MMW5 then.

There is no other computer with any non-portable version of MMW4/5 in my network, and none of these portable versions running the time we discussing this.

Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:14 am If you use the 3 dot icon you can select Properties to see more info on this server.
that could be some hint:

those "wrong" MediaMonkey Library (SRV-WIN16-MM)" points to an "192.168.2.10:13006\DeviceDescription.xml".

my "right" one "MediaMonkey Server (SRV-WIN16-MM)" is shared as "192.168.2.10:14952".

does this help? where are these values saved? any ini-file, that i could look into and clean up?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check Task Manager if another instance of MediaMonkey is running or maybe you have the MediaMonkey Service also running.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

i started the whole machine new. MediaMonkey Service is set to automatic and running. MediaMonkey starts via AutoStart.

As soon as i start MMW, there are 3 processes named "MediaMonkey 5 (32bit)", if i close MM, it's just the (one) service active.

Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

got it! the "wrong" server seems to come from the "MediaMonkey Service". If i stop this, my unwanted server disappear in DLNA devices, the HEOS App, etc.

Is this service not supposed to run automaticly? i dont remember to have set this manually up, but i'm not sure about it.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, if you install the Service it is supposed to run when you start your PC (even before you logon to Windows). However the Service is supposed to stop when you run MediaMonkey itself. Are you sure the Service is from the same MediaMonkey installation? If so, which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

I don't want to rule out 100% that I might have reset my MMW installation at the very beginning, i remember to had some trouble with my first iTunes import that times, but that must have been ... in early 2020?

so the default start behaviour is "manual"? i had it at "automatic" and it was running. now it starts as "manual" and is in status "stopped", while MMW is running. so far MMW runs normally.

do i NEED the service? i start MMW via AutoStart.

on my "server" i'm still on .2510; it's stable, none of the bugs listed in the recent fix-lists are relevant for me, i try the new one's on my portable setups.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't need the Service. It's primary use is that you can access your MediaMonkey UPnP/Sync Server from another device before you logon to Windows (useful if you don't have a screen attached to it).
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

i see. in my case, I can go without the service then.
Thank you for your patience in solving that puzzle. :wink:

Ludek

Post by Ludek »

There is [Install service...] and [Uninstall service...] button is in Options > Media Sharing.

But only in case of non Portable installation. So you most probably installed MM5 originaly to another location (as non-portable) and installed the service (via Options > Media Sharing > [Install as service...] ). Anyhow you should be able to see it in Task Manager and also in the Service details (press WinKey and type "Services" + Enter).
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Ludek wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:59 pm There is [Install service...] and [Uninstall service...] button is in Options > Media Sharing.
Got it. De- and re-installed it, now it's stopped, when MMW runs. Quite possible that I had played around with it, not sure.

The install routine fails to setup properly, if the system don't run under a local admin account, btw. It set up ".\AccountName", in case of an domain account it should be "domain.name\AccountName". no big deal - and maybe kind of rare constellation - corrected that in the service; this just as a note to you.