Re-Sync songs if file-date is newer

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Re-Sync songs if file-date is newer

Post by Rob_S »

It would be nice to have an option to re-sync any tracks to my Phone where tags have been updated on my PC.

This did not happen in MM4 and as best I can tell it still does not work in MM5

It should be able to work if it can compare file dates, (or tags) and re-copy if newer or different.

Some may not want this to happen, in which case it would be good to have an option to copy only if missing.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Re: Re-Sync songs if file-date is newer

Post by Lowlander »

Sync already does this. What device are you Syncing to and are you doing a USB or wifi Sync?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I will have to test again more carefully.

Previous results were it only updated missing files.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Also which Build (Help > About) are you using?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, I re-tested and as best I can tell, it still does not work.

To prove this I edited the title of one of my tracks which already exists on my phone. Then I synced it to the phone, using send-to,moto-G7, SDCard, sync. Mediamonkey indicated at the bottom it was copying the file, and very quickly updated the metadata.

However, upon rescanning music in the phone using musicolet, the track title was not updated, and the file modified date was still from several months ago.

Sending a different track to the phone by the same method resulted in the new track appearing right away in Musicolet, and MM5 taking a very long time to update the metadata, again resulting in the error message "The media transfer process appears to be frozen...."

As mentioned above, this same issue existed in MM4, it would not update tracks of same filename which were already on the phone.

So, unless somebody knows a setting I am missing, this should become a feature request, or possibly be considered a bug.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Rob_S wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:41 pm So, unless somebody knows a setting I am missing, this should become a feature request, or possibly be considered a bug.
Hi Rob,
this works OK for me, but you need to provide more info before anyone comment sensibly.

My Test:
  • running MM5 version 5.0.2.2524 on my PC
  • an album has already sync'd to my phone (android, Pixel 6xl ... MMA is on my phone .. version 1.4.3.0950)
  • I changed a track's Date (released) tag on that album, using MM5
  • connected phone to PC via USB cable
  • triggered re-sync via MM5
  • when sync finished, I opened the track on the PC using MMA
  • ==> the data change for the track has been sync'd to the phone, as expected
Questions:
  • what version of MM5 are you running?
  • you re tag a track how? ... using MM5, ir some other tool?
  • if using MM5, what is the option settings for "Update Tags When Editing Properties" and "Modify Timestamp When Updating Tags" at Tools>Options>Library>Tags&Playlist?
  • What is a moto phone? ... android? ... you have MMA on it? ... version?
  • how do you trigger the sync? from MM5, or from the phone?
  • the phone is connected by USB cable?
  • when it is connected, you can browse the phone's contents OK using Windows File Explorer?
  • which tag(s) are you changing ... ie. the ones that don't transferred?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Questions:

what version of MM5 are you running? Latest RC2

you re tag a track how? ... using MM5, ir some other tool? Using MM5, edit title

if using MM5, what is the option settings for "Update Tags When Editing Properties" and "Modify Timestamp When Updating Tags" at Tools>Options>Library>Tags&Playlist? yes to both, confirmed by windows explorer shows that the Date Stamp and the song title have been changed

What is a moto phone? ... android? ... you have MMA on it? ... version? Android, no using Musicolet.

how do you trigger the sync? from MM5, or from the phone? As stated above - In MM5 - right-click, send to

the phone is connected by USB cable? Yes

when it is connected, you can browse the phone's contents OK using Windows File Explorer? Yes

which tag(s) are you changing ... ie. the ones that don't transferred? As stated above edit title
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Rob_S wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:05 am What is a moto phone? ... android? ... you have MMA on it? ... version? Android, no using Musicolet.
OK, so I am not much use to you.
I have MMA on the phone, and I think that it is a helper function during MM5 sync to an android device.
See this note on the device sync page on MM5.

All I can tell you is that it works, and it very fast when connected with USB3.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

BTW:
right-clicking the file > Send to > Android (sync) always replaces the file.
Are you sure that the file really did not get replaced in Android ?

If you replace the same file using Windows Explorer then is the issue same or the Musicolet does see the updated tag ?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I can only yet again confirm that for me, right-click on the updated or edited file > Send to > Android (sync), NEVER replaces the file, over USB 3 connection.

I can be certain it did not get replaced, because Windows Explorer also shows the old file date and the old Title Tag on the phone.

And, yes, I can of course copy and replace the file using windows explorer. Also, MM5 will successfully copy any files which do not already exist, in the same session.

I had this exact same issue with MM4 as well. This was in fact happening on a different android phone.

I hope others will test this to confirm that I am not the only one experiencing this.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hmm,
actualy testing this with Android devices (conencted via MTP) and you are right!

Once the track is already there then just metadata are updated and the actual file is not replaced.

Watching comments in code and see comment like this:
// this track is already uploaded on the device, we need just update metadata,
// we cannot reupload track because of issue #9431

And watching https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9431
the reason is that if we would replace the file then the file would get deleted from the playlists on the device -- see details in the mantis issue.

So yes, for MTP connected devices behave like this to prevent #9431 from happening.

Actually it wouldn't be problem in MMA (when syncing playlists from other apps is disabled), but would be problem for other apps on Android where the replaced files would disappear from the playlists.
+ would be still an issue on Sony, Sansa and Zen devices.

EDIT: Added your request for this to be configurable as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18654
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Thank you.

I've cancelled (for now at least) my appointment with the asylum psychologist! :D