Halp! I have a general MP3 tag problem with title tags

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

smellhole

Halp! I have a general MP3 tag problem with title tags

Post by smellhole »

I hope it's ok to post this here; I wasn't sure if it was within the rules to ask about general MP3 help, but this is the only place I can ask such a question. Please delete if not appropriate.

First of all, I'd like to point out that my MP3 collection has been very meticulously and properly tagged by me. I'm very OCD about that sort of thing.

Anyway, my problem is that MM5 shows the title and album tags of some of my MP3 files as doubled with a ; in between. Here's how MM5 displays "Whale and Wasp" by Alice in Chains.

and the properties

Windows Explorer, though, shows the title like correctly

and properties

Even AudioRanger shows the title correctly

However, MP3Tag shows a weird thing. The title is shown twice with \\ in between.

I used MP3Tag to set the tags of almost all of my MP3s, and I did it all very carefully and album by album. I never put the \\ in the title. But, clearly, MP3Tag put them there. I have no idea how.

Whatever the reason, MM5 recognizes the \\ as ;.

I need a way to search the tags of all my files for either one of those so I can fix them, but I don't know how.

I tried searching for ; in MM5, but MM5 didn't like that at all and there were a few crashes involved.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
::: Smellhole
::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.
Lowlander

Re: Halp! I have a general MP3 tag problem with title tags

Post by Lowlander »

\\ is the multi-value delimiter for MP3 I believe (; is the way MediaMonkey displays this, but not the way it's saved in the tags).

An Advanced Search for Title contains ; in MediaMonkey should give you the desired results.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHelp:Search/5.0
smellhole

Re: Halp! I have a general MP3 tag problem with title tags

Post by smellhole »

Thanks!

I did the search and found what I was looking for. I had to retag the title and album names manually, but it didn't take all that long.
::: Smellhole
::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.