Duplicates in playlist [#17629]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Langur

Duplicates in playlist [#17629]

Post by Langur »

How can I delete duplicates in a playlist?
Found descriptions for older versions, but doesn't seem to work in MMW5.
Lowlander

Re: Duplicates in playlist

Post by Lowlander »

Only the Playing has an option to remove duplicates. So the only method would be to add the Playlist to the Playing, deduplicate and then send it back to the Playlist.

Related: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ying_queue

Added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17629
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:55 pm Only the Playing has an option to remove duplicates. So the only method would be to add the Playlist to the Playing, deduplicate and then send it back to the Playlist.
Surely it is an accidental omission. because the facility exists in MM4.

Can you create a request in Mantis please, so that the request may be tracked.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Langur

Post by Langur »

Sorry, I don't know mantis...
But found that when I search for an album, delete some songs from the playlist, and delete the search, the songs are there again. After leaving the playlist completely and coming back, however, they are gone.

Other problem, when I delete duplicates from my archives, I don't get a hint which one is used in playlists... If I delete the wrong one, it's gone from the playlist. Just a column that tells me it is used in a static playlist would be great, so I could delete the non-used one and in dought, I can have a look in the attributes where there already exists a list of playlist.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Properties > Classification tab will show which Playlists a file is associated with. This only works on Properties for a single file.

I assume you're doing a Contextual Search within the Playlist when deletions are missed? This I wasn't able to reproduce on build 2316.
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

Langur wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:49 am Other problem, when I delete duplicates from my archives, I don't get a hint which one is used in playlists... If I delete the wrong one, it's gone from the playlist. Just a column that tells me it is used in a static playlist would be great, so I could delete the non-used one and in dought, I can have a look in the attributes where there already exists a list of playlist.
That is exactly my problem too. There is no indication whether a song is already in the playlist.
So far I have managed to make an entry in a custom field, which is time-consuming. I mark all the songs that are in a playlist and put a mark. But you have to do it consistently. To this day I still cannot understand why such important information is missing in a music management system.
WiFi Syncing
MM Gold 5.1.0.2813 auf Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit "portable Installation"
MM Android 2.0.0.1099 Pro auf folgenden Geräten

Samsung S23 Ultra / Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Langur wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:49 am Sorry, I don't know mantis...
Sorry, the comment was directed towards Lowlander, not you. :D

Lowlander, could you add this request to Mantis please.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Langur

Post by Langur »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:17 am The Properties > Classification tab will show which Playlists a file is associated with. This only works on Properties for a single file.
Yes, I had found that, but when you have a lot of duplicates it would be easier to have a column which just gives a if hint whether the title is part of the a playlist (yes/no would be enough). Maybe it's to special...
Lowlander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:17 am I assume you're doing a Contextual Search within the Playlist when deletions are missed? This I wasn't able to reproduce on build 2316.
I just typed a name while having the playlist open, then deleted the title found, and deleted the search string. After that, the title seemed to be of the playlist again, but after leaving it completely and coming back it was gone. Build 2316, too.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
There is also a way to right click on track -> Find More from same -> Playlists and it should show you all playlist that track resides.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

I'll join in because I don't have an overview of "which playlist is a song in".
I know the functions of the right mouse button. But you have to admit that the way using the right mouse button is very tedious. If I have 30 duplicate songs, nobody wants to right click 30 times?
A column is simply missing that shows whether a song is in a playlist. The integration of a playlist manager would be even better. There you can see at a glance whether a song is in a playlist and could also sort the song into several lists.
WiFi Syncing

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I agree, there is a space for improvements, in MM4 and earlier versions it was handled with plugins and scripts, same thing needs to be done in MM5 and it will overtime once migration to MM5 is ongoing and MM5 gets released as stable, official build.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
1001Musik

Post by 1001Musik »

Very good ... then I'll save it as proof :)
WiFi Syncing

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is a discussion on this already: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=98469

This was handled by an Addon in MediaMonkey 4.
1001Musik

Re: Duplicates in playlist [#17629]

Post by 1001Musik »

Correct, but we want to switch to MM5 at some point. Or should we stay with MM4 for a long time because of various plugins that are not available for MM5?
WiFi Syncing

Lowlander

Re: Duplicates in playlist [#17629]

Post by Lowlander »

That will be a personal evaluation for each user. I happily switched and although I do miss 1 Addon I've managed to work without it for now. I'd definitely request the Addon developers of Addons you using in MediaMonkey 4 if they can port to MediaMonkey 5 (this can be a fair bit of work though).

As MediaMonkey 5 is new it will likely take a bit to get a robust Addon library like MediaMonkey 4 which had more than a decade to develop.