why is mm5 trying to access my router and multicast [#17638]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

astro46

Re: why is mm5 trying to access my router and multicast

Post by astro46 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:04 am Hi,
MM5 does not touch router settings at all unless you right-click a media server and select ....

Can you confirm that after temporal delete of UPnP.dll (and not clicking the Cast icon to run mDNS discovery for Chromecasts) MM5 is no longer automatically accessing your router and the mutlicast addresses?

Your request for the option to disable all non-user initiated traffic is now tracked (and being evaluated) as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17638
deleted uPnP.dll. haven't clicked on any settings; except to play lmusic. attempts to access network are no longer happening.

As for my previous mention of attempts to access router. the url would be a call to router. I would like to think that without the password access would fail.

I am glad to see that option to disable non-user initiated traffic is being considered.

Am I imagining, but was there an earlier version of your email that asked me to download a file and try other tests? I saw it this morning but didn't have time to act on it until now. Not seeing any indication of 'edit'.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

deleted uPnP.dll. haven't clicked on any settings; except to play lmusic. attempts to access network are no longer happening.

As for my previous mention of attempts to access router. the url would be a call to router. I would like to think that without the password access would fail.
ok, accessing your router's IP address does not mean accessing your router settings.

I am glad to see that option to disable non-user initiated traffic is being considered.

Am I imagining, but was there an earlier version of your email that asked me to download a file and try other tests? I saw it this morning but didn't have time to act on it until now. Not seeing any indication of 'edit'.
Yes, I subsequently deleted it and I am tweaking it for the next build as item 3a in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17638 so that for future builds MM5 tries to discover other MM instances only once the Devices & Services'' node is clicked (and not on each MM5 start as currently)
BenRad

Post by BenRad »

astro46 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 pm
As for MM5 trying to access my router: I was getting repeated calls to 192.168.0.1 from mediamonkeyengine.exe . that is the url for accessing the router control panel. I said this in my original post
This is the default gateway address on your home network (unless you've reconfigured your router to use another IP). Every single application that uses any network resource on your network is going to hit that IP.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

BenRad wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:01 am
astro46 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 pm
As for MM5 trying to access my router: I was getting repeated calls to 192.168.0.1 from mediamonkeyengine.exe . that is the url for accessing the router control panel. I said this in my original post
This is the default gateway address on your home network (unless you've reconfigured your router to use another IP). Every single application that uses any network resource on your network is going to hit that IP.
how are you defining 'network resource"?
Peke

Re: why is mm5 trying to access my router and multicast [#17638]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
astro46 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:17 pm how are you defining 'network resource"?
I guess that he meant on any client (Device, Servers, IoT, ....) that request/need access to WAN(Internet) and that each one needs to query Gateway and its DNS settings (Default for 99% of routers are LAN IP address of router) in order to be able to access any URL on internet or on LAN/WLAN.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Peke wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:31 pm Hi,
astro46 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:17 pm how are you defining 'network resource"?
I guess that he meant on any client (Device, Servers, IoT, ....) that request/need access to WAN(Internet) and that each one needs to query Gateway and its DNS settings (Default for 99% of routers are LAN IP address of router) in order to be able to access any URL on internet or on LAN/WLAN.
I don't think so. Accessing internet dns servers doesn't require querying the router url. These queries go through router, not accessing the router control panel. No other program or computer on this network has done this (calling the router url). This would be a huge security risk. If any device could routinely get into the router/gateway control panel, what would be the point of having a un/pw?
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

But if the program doesn't have the username/password, then all it can do is ping the router? If all it takes to hack something is to send a network request, then there would be no such thing as security. So to answer your question "what would be the point of having a un/pw", the point is precisely so that people can't easily access the router configuration stuff :slight_smile:
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
astro46

Post by astro46 »

drakinite wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 am But if the program doesn't have the username/password, then all it can do is ping the router? If all it takes to hack something is to send a network request, then there would be no such thing as security. So to answer your question "what would be the point of having a un/pw", the point is precisely so that people can't easily access the router configuration stuff :slight_smile:
it was a rhetorical comment. not a question needing a response.

The reason for MM5 pinging the router is what is questionable.
Why all the defense for MM5 pinging a router?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

To get the Router capabilities like DLNA. All network devices get asked for their capabilities, which is how MediaMonkey discovers which devices can be cast to and which devices have media server capabilities.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
astro46 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:28 am Why all the defense for MM5 pinging a router?
It is not the defense, but merely our willingness to explain how things work and assure you that we are carefully watch on such things in MM core and to let you know that each report we consider serious and rise investigation. No hard feelings, just want to get to bottom of it, even we were proven wrong after investigation as it will just make MM better quality product.

I personally would not like to compromise my 200k+ library I am collector for 30+ years in any way, not even to talk about 17 years of playback statistic and 7k+ of playlists.
Best regards,
Peke
astro46

Post by astro46 »

Peke wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:02 pm I personally would not like to compromise my 200k+ library I am collector for 30+ years in any way, not even to talk about 17 years of playback statistic and 7k+ of playlists.
Wow, that is impressive. Quite a collection. 30+ years implies that much of was vinyl, cassette, or cd. Is it still, or have you digitized it?

And playback statistics and playlists! Clearly more complexity and detail then I will attain.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
astro46 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:18 pm 30+ years implies that much of was vinyl, cassette, or cd
CDs Mostly I was one of the early users of CDs in DJ-ing early/mid 90's and as a programmer I jumped in MP3 and any type of electronic music as soon as possible.
astro46 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:18 pm Is it still, or have you digitized it?
All digitized and originals archived in air tight Storage, just in case anyone asked me if I bought all those tracks.
Best regards,
Peke
astro46

Post by astro46 »

i've been digitizing cassette tapes, recorded off vinyl in 80's. i've been using m4a format, since i feel i can hear a small difference from mp3.

Soon I'll be moving on to digitizing cd's. What format have you used for the cd's?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I recommend lossless instead of lossy (like MP3). FLAC is a good format as it's now widely adopted (thus compatible) and has great tagging support (unlike WAV). The other benefit is that you can convert lossless to lossless without loss of quality at any time you run into hardware that doesn't support FLAC.
Peke

Post by Peke »

astro46 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:17 pm i've been digitizing cassette tapes, recorded off vinyl in 80's. i've been using m4a format, since i feel i can hear a small difference from mp3.
Soon I'll be moving on to digitizing cd's. What format have you used for the cd's?
FLAC 100% for both vinyls and CDs, but vinyls in 24/96 and CDs in native 16/44.1. Reason as vinyls if recorded less than 24/96 can't be post processed correctly afterwards, to improve quality further.
Like this (Yellow original recording from vinyl, gray post processed result):
Best regards,
Peke