to sync or not to sync

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

markeh

to sync or not to sync

Post by markeh »

Just upgraded to MM5. In the past I synced MM with my iPod 64gb. A now ancient device, though still functional.

My plan for the future was to instead sync MM to my old iPhone (6) which no longer has a SIM card, and I use only for podcasts and internet radio. Much more storage than the iPod, and it can do some signal processing that the iPod could never do.

But spending some time here, and looking at MM5 documentation, I'm wondering if this is old-fashioned thinking.

Since MM5 can now sync to Dropbox (if I understand it correctly) maybe the better path is to sync music to Dropbox, listen via Dropbox on my old phone (or also on the new phone if that is needed) and tell Dropbox to download any files I actually want on my phone. Which might not be that many.

Input appreciated....

thx,

Lowlander

Re: to sync or not to sync

Post by Lowlander »

I still Sync instead of relying on the Cloud. When you use the Cloud you need a data/wifi connection to use it, whereas with Synced files this isn't the case. Cloud storage in the free tiers is generally less than most devices have available in storage.

Also Play History is maintained when Syncing with Apple devices.
markeh

Re: to sync or not to sync

Post by markeh »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:08 pm I still Sync instead of relying on the Cloud. When you use the Cloud you need a data/wifi connection to use it, whereas with Synced files this isn't the case. Cloud storage in the free tiers is generally less than most devices have available in storage.

Also Play History is maintained when Syncing with Apple devices.
Hmmm. I have a Dropbox account, paid, with probably 1.3TB empty. So no space problems.
And I believe I can set certain directories to be downloaded to my phone, though almost anywhere I am there is wifi. Even using the cell network is relatively cheap for audio compared to video.
I must admit play history was nothing I ever paid attention to, probably because most music was classical, secondarily jazz.

Thanks for the input. But I'm more thinking cloud is the way to go.