Best Setup Config ideas?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

drathmar

Best Setup Config ideas?

Post by drathmar »

I just upgraded to media monkey 5 gold, my previous setup I wasn't to happy with and was hoping for some advice.

main requirements are:
  • have a main PC act as a server that i can edit playlists and work on my library
  • a friend on the LAN network with PC & android who would like to be able to play songs and build their own playlist
  • there other android devices to sync as well (wifi seems to well)
  • Lastly I have a samsung TV that I would like to play music from over the network, I would like to use my android as a remote, but don't want to always be streaming with my android, I "think" this is possible, but i'm unsure what functionality I should be looking up (is it DLNA?)
what would be the best setup for this?

I "think" a normal install on my main machine and then having my friend sync via wifi as well as create/edit playlist via their android seems like it would work (but i'm sure they'd prefer the PC for this, but that wasn't possible a few years ago) After that, it's the streaming over the local network, can the PC stream multiple channels? (one song stream to the TV and another to a PC and possibly playing another song on it's own speakers?)
Lowlander

Re: Best Setup Config ideas?

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey can stream different media with multiple clients.

As for using your phone as a control point, MediaMonkey for Android (MMA) can't do this. You'll need an App that can do this. I assume BubbleUPnP can do this, but I haven't done this in years. MMA can stream from MM5 to your TV, but it would always remain in the middle of this (so you'd need to leave your phone on the network).

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

AFAIK MMA can be used as control point (same as Bubble UPnP) to stream any media from any server to any renderer via DLNA/UPnP (or Google Cast), but the OP was asking rather about "PC stream multiple channels" :
After that, it's the streaming over the local network, can the PC stream multiple channels? (one song stream to the TV and another to a PC and possibly playing another song on it's own speakers?)
If you mean streaming different tracks to different devices at the same time then it is possible only with more instances of MM5 running at the same time. i.e. one instance playing to TV and another to PC (you need to allow more instances in Options > Genereal > [ ] Allow just one instance of MM...)
drathmar

Post by drathmar »

ok, so the steaming to multiple instances sounds complicated, i'll be happy with just one DLNA going if i can resolve the two issues described below:

how would the other users go about customizing play lists? Can another PC using media monkey communicate to the main DLNA server? update playlists and etc? (I'm trying to avoid having multiple MM.db files to worry about)

It seems like with the DLNA essentially broadcasts the same song within the wifi and most any device that can access it will all be playing the same song? Would the app MMRemote on android allow me to control the songs playing? or perhaps a better option?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) No, DLNA allows for browsing and playback only. It does not provide a method to edit files or Playlists.

2) No, DLNA doesn't broadcast, but instead serves the files to the Client. MediaMonkey 5 can stream the same to multiple clients at the same time (timing may be slightly off).
drathmar

Post by drathmar »

when sync'ing an android device with the main server, is it possible for the android to see all the songs and build playlists without downloading the entire music library? (filling up a much smaller SD card)

It seems like it should be able to also download list of musics the device has been granted access to, like a much smaller text DB file, maybe there is a check box I'm missing?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, you can't sync just the Playlist or list of files.

At home you can access all of MediaMonkey 5's Library through UPnP/DLNA: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0
drathmar

Post by drathmar »

so if the computer is on a server (not always accessible) there's still not a good way to manage the main mm.db library remotely?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, you'd always rely on the machine with the database to be running, even when MediaMonkey Server is available in MediaMonkey for Android: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 31&t=90809 (currently only works with MediaMonkey 5)