Show FLAC extended tag in list view

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

JoppyFopFop

Show FLAC extended tag in list view

Post by JoppyFopFop »

I can see an extended tag field when viewing the properties of a track, but I cannot seem to get this field to display in the list.
I tried renaming a custom field to match the name of the extended tag, but after restart the column is still empty. Something I'm missing?
Lowlander

Re: Show FLAC extended tag in list view

Post by Lowlander »

Custom Fields are a separate tag. Extending tags are only supported in the Properties dialog.
JoppyFopFop

Post by JoppyFopFop »

Ugh. Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks.

Seems like it should not be that difficult to implement displaying of extended tags in the list view, it's already there in the Custom tab of the Properties dialog.

This "little" issue is pretty major for me, I have over 200,000 tracks and I use extended tags heavily, and the ability to sort on them is crucial for my particular use case, making this UI far less useful for me.

Thanks again for the quick response.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's actually not that simple as each Extended tag would need it's own column and you can have any number of extended tags associated.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This can be made by addon/plugin developer that exactly knows what extended tags needs to be shown.

We can't know what to implement and what not.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

JoppyFopFop wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:43 am I can see an extended tag field when viewing the properties of a track, but I cannot seem to get this field to display in the list.
I tried renaming a custom field to match the name of the extended tag, but after restart the column is still empty. Something I'm missing?
Some name syntax that you could use when renaming Custom columns, which would cause them to act as you expected, would be excellent. .. Or something less of a kludge which achieved the same result,
ATM the extended tag facility is a bit useless in a MM context.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Custom fields are their own fields, which is different from Extended Tags. Extended Tags can be anything, so in a Library you could've tens of different tags being used.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:44 am Custom fields are their own fields, which is different from Extended Tags. Extended Tags can be anything, so in a Library you could've tens of different tags being used.
Yes, but I don't see how that affects the suggestion.
  • eg. I use the Extended Tag facility to create one of the "missing" MM tags
    • eg. COMPOSERSORT
    • or MOVEMENT
    • or MIXARTIST
  • it's good as far as it goes, I can see|use the tag outside of MediaMonkey
  • but it very limiting that I can't use it inside MediaMonkey; it's not in the MM database
    • can't sort nor filter by it, in neither displays, playlists nor collections
    • can't see or easily audit, or find it so I can make editing corrections
    • ===> hence the OPs disappointment
Currently it is like Extended Tags is only partially implemented.

Workaround:
  • an optional naming syntax for the Custom columns
    • eg. I rename Custom1 column to "<MIXARTIST> Mixer
    • ==-> MM5 populates, and syncs, the Custom1 tag, in the MM database, with whatever it finds or stores into tracks' MIXARTIST tag, and labels the cell or column as "Mixer"
    • =====> happiness all round
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use Custom tags if you wish, but Custom tags are independent tags from Extended Tags (stored differently within the file). If you map, you start doubling data as now you have two tags managing the same data.
As you could have any number of Extended Tags it makes it really hard to manage this elsewhere in the interface.

If you wanted to copy data from 1 tag to another, this could be done through an Addon (doesn't exist yet).

Now if there are additional tags in the tagging standards that MediaMonkey should natively support that could be a request.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 pm You can use Custom tags if you wish, but Custom tags are independent tags from Extended Tags (stored differently within the file). If you map, you start doubling data as now you have two tags managing the same data.
I didn't know that the Custom tags were persisted to the Tracks. I thought that they were db-only tags.
Mine are, because I push them there from another app, but that is a different story.

A couple of extra redundant bytes stored, to some tracks, is not a problem. There is lots of redundant (to MM) data stored there already, like album art, and Catlogue number, and ACCURATERIP IDs and results. Another couple of bytes is no issue, especially since it would be MM5 that manages sync, and not rely on manual actions by the User.

The thing is that Custom Tags in MM5 is a half arsed implementation atm. Much like MM4's Album Comment tag was. ie. inconveniently and obscurely hidden in he MM4 UI. Some people used it, thinking that it was going to become a 1st class feature of MM ... and then it was dropped in MM5 due to "lack of use" .. quelle surprise

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 pm As you could have any number of Extended Tags it makes it really hard to manage this elsewhere in the interface.
Not so. It Custom Tags were able to be linked to the Customx database fields in some manner, as expected by the OP, he would be able to establish linkages to just the few tags that were significant to him.

I will leave the OP to push his own barrow ... I think that the idea has merit and that something is needed to rescue the implementation of Extended Tags in MM5.
JoppyFopFop

Post by JoppyFopFop »

Barry4679 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:33 pm I will leave the OP to push his own barrow ... I think that the idea has merit and that something is needed to rescue the implementation of Extended Tags in MM5.
Thanks for the additional input. You can see I joined here 5 years ago when I purchased a Lifetime Gold key, and this is my first post. I've been in IT nearly 40 years, I can make my way 'round many things, but this one had me stumped. Dismayed to learn the answer is "nope".

That said, the primary reason for my absence, is that I'd left lossy music in the rear view many years ago, and for the last few years, I've been plodding through nearly 11,000 live lossless concerts, with almost a quarter million tracks, spending 12+ hours daily in Xyplorer (not to shill for that program, rather as illustration). With a zillion features including "branch view", which effectively flattens the presentation of a folder, I'm able to list a couple hundred thousand records with custom columns, including extended tags, and that file browser happens to also have in-built support for media playback/preview, so, based on the issue at hand here, I returned to look at using that tool as my MM alternative. Turns out, it works quite well, includes a powerful native scripting language which seems endless in what it can accomplish, and, bonus, it's loads faster than the scan MM took of these quarter million records. No bashing here, I love MM, but, it's just not up to my particular needs.

Thanks again for the input, I'll continue to check back from time to time to see if either natively or with someone's addon, I can sort the listview by any extended tags.
Platonius

Post by Platonius »

I must admit I'm in favour of this as well.

Currently going through all FLAC files using the FLAC encoder's verify option and using a custom tag to note if something's wrong. It would be nice if you could add colums in view with your own %CUSTOM_TAG%. MM would know to look for it in the extended tags field.

At the moment, it's easier for me to just start Tagscanner and drag the file from MM to there to check the tag, than checking the properties in MM5.

I must say that it's handled pretty nicely in Tagscanner. I can just create a column with a custom thing, a single tag or a combination of tags. "Verify" in this case being my own tag and "Bitrate" being a combination of bitrate, sample rate and bit depth (saving space and make it easier to spot 16 bit 44/48 khz files with way too high bitrates).

If there were custom display fields that could just be set to %CUSTOM_TAG% or something, that would make a lot of us happy...
Or at least the 3 of us :wink:
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not sure where is exactly the problem, I just checked and if you in Music -> All tacks right on column header under Custom submenu you have all MM custom Tags and even Extended Tag that is then added as column in List view.
Best regards,
Peke
Platonius

Post by Platonius »

As far as I could see, there's an "Extended Tag" field that just shows ALL extended tags in one field. I couldn't find a way to show just a single extended tag.

I mean, I'm not sure how useable this is for sorting on a specific tag
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Your example is clear thing what I am explaining here. There is no way that MM easily support all of them especially as they are some app specific tags like Serato. Which means that we need to do reverse engineering of Serato propritery format and make it available in MM. Which after months of development can even result in DMCA request from Serato that we use their custom tags and we would need to remove it. Also checking reading and decoding such extended tags would slow MM considerably. even it is 10ms on 200k of tracks it is hours eg. 10x200000=33.5Min per single extended tag and from what I see you have 10+ different one which represent 5h+ of not being able to use MM.

I would be more than glad if you can prove me wrong, but making single addon that would extract desired info from Extended tags is way faster than native support that will bloat MM will suffice your needs.

NOTE: MM5 already read many more tags than MM4 and many users complain it is slower, not counting additional bandwidth/CPU/RAM needed to make that happen.
Best regards,
Peke