[SOLVED] issue with DVD/CD drive

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

BrotherMythos

[SOLVED] issue with DVD/CD drive

Post by BrotherMythos »

Seems to me that since the "print nightmare" Windows Updates earlier this month, I have had issues with 2 laptops. The old one was starting to have other issues, but what sealed the deal is that I could not get Windows to recognize a music CD in File Explorer, nor did it show up in Media Monkey 5. So I assumed it was a hardware issue, though strangely the drive would play a DVD just fine!

So I got a new laptop this week. One of the first things I did was to port my library from the old computer to the new one. I played a New Order CD and it worked fine. Then I went and did all the Windows Updates I was "supposed to" do. Guess what? Same damn thing happened on the new machine. I stuck a music CD in. It acknowledged in the upper right portion of the pane in File Explorer that there is a CD-ROM and it asks what files do you want to move to a disc, listing just desktop.ini . Then in MediaMonkey when I clicked on the CD drive it would say drive or disc (one of the 2) is not accessible. FreeDB would not acknowledge anything was in there. And the ripping option actually came up with a window that listed how many tracks but I got no titles for tracks or the album, just generic info -- I didn't attempt to use that as who wants to type in everything when we know the program should be able to do it.

So I looked stuff up and followed some advice on how to reset the drive and the drivers and the registry. Sadly I wound up with a Windows stop screen and then had to revert to factory settings and reinstall my programs again. I have been holding off on doing any Windows updates because I don't want to go through this again!

Anyone have advice? I assume it's more of a Windows problem. But if it's happened on 2 different laptops for me, I have to wonder if it's happened with anyone else.
Lowlander

Re: issue with DVD/CD drive

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like a Windows issue as File Explorer also doesn't recognize it. CD's are still recognized for me after recent Windows updates.

Have you checked the additional updates of Windows Update? It may have driver updates for the drive.
BrotherMythos

Post by BrotherMythos »

I'm reluctant to do more Windows Updates until I hear from other people who had my issue or from a techie who has dealt with the issue. Don't want to waste more hours.
Just wondering, would having MM5 open during a Windows Update possibly have caused this?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Please check the back of your laptops and see if you have single screw that holds CD/DVD tray as that way you can temp switch to drive that works and see if issue is Software or Hardware.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
BrotherMythos

Post by BrotherMythos »

Windows decided for me. After setting the new computer to factory settings, I was warned about the updates Microsoft wanted to do. I put it off, but during the wee hours it rebooted, and now, lo and behold, my CDs are working fine!
Not sure about the old laptop yet. I was rolling back some of the updates on that but thus far no CD functionality on that one. I'll monkey with that another day.