MM5 Playing to multiple outputs

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

bjmtchbx

MM5 Playing to multiple outputs

Post by bjmtchbx »

Is there a way to get MM5 to output to multiple devices? I want the speakers connected to the computer to play as well as the two blue tooth devices I have, all at the same time. So far I have only determined how to get one of these to play at a time. I was blaming windows when the Bluetooth devices didn't work, but it is MediaMonkey that is the problem. I upgraded the computer so I could have Bluetooth and wanted to use two audio engine B1 devices, along with the AV Sender wireless system. These function with a signal that comes from the computer's audio connection. If MM5 is limited to one output, it pretty much kills my entire setup. Thanks.
Peke

Re: MM5 Playing to multiple outputs

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM5 is capable for multi outputs, click on Play To player icon and setup your multizone ;)

If something do not works, let us know.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can't play to multiple Bluetooth and wired speakers at the same time.

Multi-bluetooth only works with manufacturers that support that between their own devices, but this doesn't work with devices from different manufacturers and would still exclude the speakers connected to the PC.

Playing to multiple devices is only supported for DLNA and Chromecast enabled devices: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... t_Renderer
bjmtchbx

Post by bjmtchbx »

I read multiple threads going back many years about how folks want and need to do this. Hopefully with this new release there is a way. Thanks.
bjmtchbx

Post by bjmtchbx »

Perhaps you could elaborate on your comment. I'm not very up to date and don't know what a chrome cast or DLNA device is. When I Google it I get a bunch of stuff talking about phones, but there aren't any cell phones involved in my setup. I've been sending music to an amplifier in one place, an older receiver in another, and powered computer speakers in two others. Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Both DLNA and Chromecast are streaming protocols, generally build into speakers/receivers, just like Bluetooth. However unlike Bluetooth it uses wifi/ethernet to work.

The problem is the underlying technology, Bluetooth is 1 to 1 in most cases, only in very recent iterations would 1 to 2 be supported and in that case both the host (PC hardware) and the receivers would need to support that (if I remember correctly).

Other than Chromecast, DLNA and using an FM transmitter there is no real viable way to accomplish this.
bjmtchbx

Post by bjmtchbx »

Very informative and helpful. I appreciate you taking the time. Would something like these work with the multi-room system: https://audioengineusa.com/shop/adapter ... -streamer/

and/or this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TX8270 ... -8270.html

These items when connected to Wifi, would show up on the multi room list? I noticed my Yamaha surround sound system showed up on that list when I was fussing with it last night.

As an aside, I love MediaMonkey, have been using it for years and can't imagine using anything else, so thanks to all for a great product. I bought the lifetime license. Thanks for your help in getting my little issue solved!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The first says it has DLNA and the second says it has Chromecast, so it should work and should work with multiple of them using Play To: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... t_Renderer

Do note that you can't expect exact synchronized playback, only wired can truly provide that. This can be a problem if the different speakers are in the same space.

Where possible I'd try to find a solution that offers DLNA, Chromecast and Bluetooth as that is the most flexible. I've found streaming to multiple Chromecasts more reliable than multiple DLNA clients. AirPlay can also be useful if you use any Apple products, but MediaMonkey can't stream to AirPlay.
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

hi guys,
i'm having something of a moment here. I defected to roon to give multi-room a go, i have a few raspberry pi's with screens acting as roon bridges.
today i checked back in on MM5 and wow, things have jumped forward somewhat! :) MM5 is great, buggy, but the potential is fantastic.

My roon experience is not going well, since the last major update the core is unstable and crashes at random. So, now i've plugged in my dac's via usb (long cables already installed from previous MM4 setup, which was a pain with no multiroom)

So, to the point! .. is there any component I can use on my PI ex roon bridges that would display the album art for the multizone? (i.e. like ropieeeXL for the roon bridge). or, is there something that i can use on my PI as a remote "receiver". i.e. like a MMbridge ala roon? the problem now is i have a lot of network receivers unable to receive! :)

it seems, given the API's and extensibility of MM5 this is now a fully viable proposal? Exciting times. cancelling ROON subscription immediately :)
Last edited by zombiefly on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey casts via DLNA or Chromecast. You can stream from MediaMonkey using DLNA. So you'd need a DLNA capable client on the Raspberry and it should be able to get Artwork.
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

ok cool. will that be able to work as part of a multi-room then?
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can do multi-device casting by setting up a multi-zone: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... t_Renderer
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

thanks, i just found that setting in the play to...

do you know if there is anyone thinking of/working on a bridge? adding this would blow roon out of the water, their UI/options/features are seriously lacking. I will suggest it as a feature if it's not already in the pipeline and maybe contact the developer of ropieeeXL and see if they are interested in creating a version that maybe wraps up a DNLA stream? The problem is while I can set up a 3rd party player on the PI, they are all headless and my Linux knowledge is OK at best.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As long as a player on the Pi allows to be controlled by a DLNA control point you can select them in MediaMonkey to play to.
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

ok, so i could use a low resource os and setup a script to autostart if there is no background job. I will investigate :)