Advice: external BD, DVD, CD burner

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Bullit420

Advice: external BD, DVD, CD burner

Post by Bullit420 »

Greetings MM Community,

I've been using a ThinkPad T420 for years to rip audio CDs to a Plex server. The T420 is running out of steam and I plan on moving MM client to a Dell Precision 5530. The 5530 is a beast, but it does not have an optical drive.

Do any of you have personal experience with external USB 3.0 portable BD/DVD/CD burners?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide.
Bullitt420 (MediaMonkey user since 2009)
Peke

Re: Advice: external BD, DVD, CD burner

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It was already asked here, but you need to:
- Plug out your T420 drive out usually only one screw needs to be removed to pull it out See tutorials on matter
- Buy this cable or similar/cheaper but it needs to be 13Pin (7+6) Slimline SATA converter Cable

Enjoy.

End result is like this:
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Bullit420

Post by Bullit420 »

Thank you for the detailed and prompt reply. I have the cables to use a laptop DVD\CD as an external. I'm wanting to know people's first-hand experience with external BD/DVD/CD burners. The Pioneer BDR-XD07B would be an example of a user's experience with external drives.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No issues using external USB connected CD/DVD/BluRay drives. Asus seems to work best, but LG, Pioneer, and Lite-On also worked for me.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Bullit420 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 pm Thank you for the detailed and prompt reply. I have the cables to use a laptop DVD\CD as an external. I'm wanting to know people's first-hand experience with external BD/DVD/CD burners. The Pioneer BDR-XD07B would be an example of a user's experience with external drives.
I have at least few of drives, unfortunately no BD one :( but if needed I can easily connect them all and RIP 3+ CDs at once (Previously I used my OLD PC with 2 SATA + 3 IDE/PATA + 1 SCSI Drives to Rip my collection). That was fun :)
Best regards,
Peke
Bullit420

Post by Bullit420 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:00 pm No issues using external USB connected CD/DVD/BluRay drives. Asus seems to work best, but LG, Pioneer, and Lite-On also worked for me.
Perfect, thank you so much for the advice!
Bullit420

Post by Bullit420 »

Peke wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:53 pm
Bullit420 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 pm Thank you for the detailed and prompt reply. I have the cables to use a laptop DVD\CD as an external. I'm wanting to know people's first-hand experience with external BD/DVD/CD burners. The Pioneer BDR-XD07B would be an example of a user's experience with external drives.
I have at least few of drives, unfortunately no BD one :( but if needed I can easily connect them all and RIP 3+ CDs at once (Previously I used my OLD PC with 2 SATA + 3 IDE/PATA + 1 SCSI Drives to Rip my collection). That was fun :)
Wow, you just reminded me how old I am haha! I used to have SCSI burners as well, man they sure were expensive. Thanks again for the help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Bullit420 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:59 pm Wow, you just reminded me how old I am haha! I used to have SCSI burners as well, man they sure were expensive. Thanks again for the help.
Áre you saying that I am old too? Well I am not young also. I still have that PC in storage and that Teac SCSI 2x Drive could RIP PS1 Disks for backup fully or few rare Audio CDs that were 89m-99m. It can also RIP any almost destroyed CDs at speed 0.1x-1x using hardware correction I saved people number of times even single 3 minute track takes 1h to RIP. PC is Still on Windows 98SE, exclusively made for CD-RIP, but have not turn it on for years after I ripped my 6k+ CD collection.
Best regards,
Peke
Bullit420

Post by Bullit420 »

No sir, by no means are you old. I'd say you are experienced.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Bullit420 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:45 pm No sir, by no means are you old. I'd say you are experienced.
I was just kidding, sometimes I find myself fall under BOOMER category ;)
Best regards,
Peke
crawdad63

Post by crawdad63 »

I have a DVD and a BD drive hooked to my laptop which is a Dell but not a beast. I never had a problem with either of them in relation to MM4. I do use EAC as a backup with the very few CDs that MM4 won't burn. I haven't ripped very many CDs with MM5, but no issues so far.
To each his reach, but if I don't cop it ain't mine to have
George Clinton
Bullit420

Post by Bullit420 »

crawdad63 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:51 pm I have a DVD and a BD drive hooked to my laptop which is a Dell but not a beast. I never had a problem with either of them in relation to MM4. I do use EAC as a backup with the very few CDs that MM4 won't burn. I haven't ripped very many CDs with MM5, but no issues so far.
Thank you for the feedback.
Bullit420

Post by Bullit420 »

Peke wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:03 pm
Bullit420 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:45 pm No sir, by no means are you old. I'd say you are experienced.
I was just kidding, sometimes I find myself fall under BOOMER category ;)
I regret that I don't have enough room to keep some of the amazing gear I've had from decades past.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Bullit420 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:06 pm I regret that I don't have enough room to keep some of the amazing gear I've had from decades past.
Yep, till recently I had basement and attic, but now as kids grown they want their space so I guess something will be lost forever :(
Best regards,
Peke